• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC - VIP team - Girafe's skills on the BAT

Started by Girafe, July 22, 2009, 01:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Quote from: SuperMessi on November 10, 2015, 04:43:38 AM
For example, your "oaks", if you click the second time on the same tile, you will have I think three trees, whereas it would be better, in my opinion, if you had the second model ploped when you click the second time. In this way, we could choose a particular oak, in this case, in a way that it would only occupy one tile.

This comes down to personal preference though. I for one like love the oaks, especially because they're so big you can actually plop them over transit networks (for example). And in general I like the 'clump' approach because the overhang is perfect to fill wide curves and other 'dead space'.

Quote from: Girafe on November 10, 2015, 03:28:49 AM
@ Vortext:

This is the last update I have with the poplars, I don t like  ()sad()
. . . snip. . .

Too bad, though seeing them with the flowers I can understand. It appears their scale is a bit off. I think they should be taller and thinner, while the branches should start lower and have even more 'upward stretch' to them - they grow quite fast. Hope that made any sense.  &Thk/( :D

Also, while I can understand your reasoning for keeping the Rowans relative small, I'd still like to see you try your hand at a couple of huge, monumental trees someday. The kinda trees that just dwarfs buildings . .  ::)

That said, the autumn colors are splendid.  &apls  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

We certainly need more reddish autumn trees. It looks great, and honestly I think the poplars already look good!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Beautiful trees, as always  &apls  I really like the poplars as well so I hope you won't abandon them. For lotting purposes, I hope you will center the models on where the trunk meets the ground so rotated trees can be used in the exact same spot and smaller sizes would be useful in this purpose and definitely welcome. I really like having the groups of trees as MMPs the way you have done but I like them the best when there's a single model last in case the group doesn't appear the way one hopes and possibly an empty model after that in case mistakes happen. Both urban areas and strongly sloped areas can benefit from a single model after the others. I'm not sure why more of your trees aren't used in lotting, though your ashes are used all the time. I guess part of the reason is that the early ones were all MMPs without prop options and size could also affect things in some cases. Lotters tend to get in the habit of using specific sets of trees that work great, like your ashes, and may use them more often when annoying people complain about more dependencies  &Thk/(  In any case, the projects you have in the works at the moment are extremely promising  :bnn:

belfastsocrates

I use your trees in all of my new lots, they're fantastic. I don't release my lots though but I do very much enjoy using your trees.

I'm currently going through my cities and removing all of my older roadside trees lots and replacing with lots that utilise your trees as they're much more realistic and have great quality. I'll eventually replace all my older trees but that'll take be months so I have to start somewhere :D

I echo Vortext's call for a larger Rowan and for some monumental trees, they'd make for great unique points of interest in ancient woodlands or historic areas. In the UK and Ireland we have 'protected trees' which are generally massive and incredibly old.

I hope you return to the poplar trees at some point, I'd really like to see them in-game. Though I'd be more than happy to use your existing poplars as they currently exist. Can never have too many trees! :)

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mattb325

I love all of your trees & flora and the new Rowans look wonderful!  &apls

tomvsotis

Quote from: vortext on November 10, 2015, 08:41:32 AM
For example, your "oaks", if you click the second time on the same tile, you will have I think three trees, whereas it would be better, in my opinion, if you had the second model ploped when you click the second time. In this way, we could choose a particular oak, in this case, in a way that it would only occupy one tile.

This comes down to personal preference though. I for one like love the oaks, especially because they're so big you can actually plop them over transit networks (for example). And in general I like the 'clump' approach because the overhang is perfect to fill wide curves and other 'dead space'.

Hey vortext, if you don't mind me asking, where are the dirt roads in that pic from? They're not a SAM override, are they?

SuperMessi

Quote from: vortext on November 10, 2015, 08:41:32 AM

@ Vortext:

This is the last update I have with the poplars, I don t like  ()sad()
. . . snip. . .

Too bad, though seeing them with the flowers I can understand. It appears their scale is a bit off. I think they should be taller and thinner, while the branches should start lower and have even more 'upward stretch' to them - they grow quite fast. Hope that made any sense.  &Thk/( :D

Also, while I can understand your reasoning for keeping the Rowans relative small, I'd still like to see you try your hand at a couple of huge, monumental trees someday. The kinda trees that just dwarfs buildings . .  ::)

That said, the autumn colors are splendid.  &apls  &apls

That is a good point, and I also use them like that. But in an urban environment, my point is also valid I guess. It really depends.

Bottom line, they are very nice :D

romualdillo

Personally, I love the autum colours and I like using your trees for LOting. Perhaps you're right and some exemplars are just too big for urban environments, but others just look wonderful in my cities!! Keep the good work!!

P.S.: What was wrong with the jacarandas?

Simcoug

Yay!  More seasonal flora from the master himself!   :bnn:

reddonquixote

I'm late to the party and offer nothing new.. the Rowan trees are gorgeous  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

art128

For the third week of the 4in1 special OSITM, we will be showcasing one of the most talented custom content creator ever. From skyscrapers to flora, he has shown just how much talent he has. Congratulations, Girafe!

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

Thanks a lot fot this recognition  ::)

I will try to post daily my current WIP.

For today, that might be a future MMPs:

Eucalyptus, still need some work

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Simcoug

Kergelen

Congrats on your OSITM!!

The Eucaliptus are nice, especially the green mate color. However, most Eucaliptus have a more elongated shape and less dense folliage. I think the last one is the best.

As for the link, if "The Floraler" is a picture, you might put something like this

I went for reddish autumnal liveries. What do you think?

Wow, the autumn colors are amazing! More realistic and beautiful than ever &apls

I also like the poplars, one of my favorites trees. I like the big one. But I think in poplars the leaves and branches usually are a bit more sparse.

I was disappointed by the lack of use of my flora for LOTing, I think that one of the main reason is that the MMP flora is a little bit bigger than the flora used on the LOTs.

Well I think that your trees are fine for lotting, but some of them, the small ones, have a lot of branches in the lower part of the trees and sometimes, to Lot residencials low density, is better to have a trunk free of branches, in order to put other props under it, like a table, or to see other parts of the Lot. I personally use your bigger ones because has a trunk free of branches.

But, maybe, the main reason is that all your trees are separated in diferent files, so some people may think it's not practical to inlude a lot of dependencies in a shared lot. Not my case, but I think that colud be a reason. Maybe you could make a prop pack with all the props for Lotting. It would increase for sure the use of your trees. :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

kelis

Your trees are amazing my friend ! You've changed the game with them and is really nice to see that you are working on more trees... Thanks  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

nos.17

Quote from: Kergelen on November 16, 2015, 02:29:30 PM
But, maybe, the main reason is that all your trees are separated in diferent files, so some people may think it's not practical to inlude a lot of dependencies in a shared lot. Not my case, but I think that colud be a reason. Maybe you could make a prop pack with all the props for Lotting. It would increase for sure the use of your trees. :thumbsup:

Exactly.   &mmm

Girafe, I love all your flora and use it to no end in my cities, but the above is pretty much why I do not use your files on uploads (with a few exceptions). It simply is not practical to have to link to so many sets to use a few trees. I feel like it also comes down to file size. With C.P's pack, users get many dozens of beautiful trees/shrubs/etc for 12mb; while your trees, again, are superior (IMHO), I think it turns users off to see they have to download 3 files of 12mb each just to get trees on the lot. Granted its a one time thing, but it may turn away new users from using the lots.

The only way I could think of to fix this is to re-release all of the trees in a non-HD format...but that eliminates the whole beauty of them. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't be discouraged if you do not see them as often as you would like on lots. I myself will try to use them more often...  ;)

Simcoug

As far as the lotting issue, I tend to think MMPs are superior in many regards because folks can use the trees that suit their SC4 style best.  I tend to use C.P.'s flora pack because all the small shrubs and flowers can easily spruce up a lot and still remain 'neutral'.  Then folks can go in with their favorite MMPs and give each lot their own style.

mattb325

Congrats on the ostm &apls

Thanks for the rowan trees, I'm sure I'll put them to good use!

I like the new Eucalyptus - coming from the land of these trees, I can say that there are many, many species of high-rainfall forest Eucalyptus that have very dense canopies, so I wouldn't worry about thinning the canopy unless you are going for the more 'iconic' version of the Eucalyptus (similar to the ones jeronij made).
The one thing all of them have in common is how the leaf arrangement is held on each branch cluster - in 3ds if you can imagine a geosphere with the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 removed....that is the look you are aiming for on the end of each branch

vortext

Thanks for the Rowan trees!!  &apls

And congrats of OSITM of course!  :thumbsup:

Beside the aforementioned lack of a 'prop pack', another reason why your trees aren't as widely used might be because the LE version doesn't have prop families. When I worked on a - long abandoned - T21 project I made families according the tree size (and season of course). So for instance the smallest maples, birch, oak, linden, etc were one prop family. Granted it does look kinda silly having a birch during summer change to a maple in autumn (though to combat this I've started to look into proper flora families since  $%#Ninj2) but it does make for great variety. 

Quote from: tomvsotis on November 10, 2015, 05:24:23 PM
Hey vortext, if you don't mind me asking, where are the dirt roads in that pic from? They're not a SAM override, are they?

They're an override for the Maxis' streets I made for personal use in order to take advantage of the draggable wide curves. It's not been released, nor will it be because it lacks any kind of intersections with other networks.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Girafe

Thanks a lot for all your comments  ;)

I am sorry, I did not come back on my last post regarding my worry for the pretty non use of my flora in LOTs.

I tend to agree with all comments even if few points have been corrected. 90% of my flora has single props included for LOTing purpose (timed and non timed props). I admit that the packages are quite huge however, this is the "price to pay" for HD flora.
In another part, we have discussed with the board about regrouping all my flora in one single mega package but the proposal has been declined for the main reason that the LEX could not support so big file.

Regarding eucalyptus, currently it s early stage but I don t think I will tweak the modeling, I will focus more on the textures.

For today, I released my rowan trees, 2 years I did not release a flora pack  ::)

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *