• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

I'm often left wondering how things are done, so it's great to have a tutorial thrown in every now and then. All the time, actually, but I'll take whatever I can get.  :D
You're doing such a great job on your region, it makes me feel like blowing up my poor little excuse for a city again!

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Adam i dont know what to say here.... i wish you could see the expression on my face... Im stunned, awed inspired, shocked, impressed... Yea that sums it up, OK so where did you get those mods at? The DT Water model 3 and Wave3 freestream mod... Are those the same as Jeroni's?  OK im outties for now and i will see you on the next update which i cant wait for - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jeronij

Excellent start, and outstanding dam  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡  It is great to see something new and fresh from time to time  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bat

That's a great looking dam, Ennedi! Also the port and railway is looking wonderful! Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

Nisha

Hi Ennedi,

This does look like a very challenging map. Great start though with all the roads winding up and through the mountains, the port and the railway. The dam is especially impressive and the pics show how close to reality you have made it. I look forward to future updates. :)

~Nisha

Patriots1228

Damn thats one nice dam  ;D

you must link me to the peices you used. great job this is awesome.

bat56

Nice start Ennedi, you have funny vision of the dam but that like to me...!
Good luck for the continuation.  :thumbsup:

meldolion

:o :o

Great start!!! And that DAM....!!!!! Wonderful development!!!

keep up the good work  :thumbsup:!!

Ennedi

I planned to spend a few days to build cities, but seeing such nice comments I can't leave them without answer  :D

Yoman: Thanks a lot, but maybe it's too much?  :D I simply try to make something enough good to have place at this site  ;)

Travis:
QuoteI have heard a lot of good things about mountain-building, and I do plan on giving it a try, but at the speed I build, we'll be in the next Ice Age by the time I finish my current region. 
Speed is nothing, pleasure is everything  :D Don't hurry

QuoteI especially like your use of those pipes, do I detect some lot-editing in there?
No lot editing here. I must learn it.
Thanks for visit, my friend!

nedalezz: Thank you, i'm glad you like it. I think this enriched version of SC4 you all create enables much realism and it is good to use these possibilities

TheTeaCat: It's great pleasure for me you have good feelings  ;D This table in the corner is reserved yet.
Good news for me if my information is useful for anybody  :)

Berethor: Thanks for your visit, I invite you again!

mattbb: Good to see you here, I learned a lot lurking at your MD  :D I remember beautiful seashore shots and this man on the edge  :thumbsup:

cameron1991: Thank you, there will be more about terrain mods and such things here

Jmouse: Nice to see you again, Joan! I know you wait for cities and I promise they will appear soon  :D

patfirefghtr: Hello Pat, thanks for your visit! I think I use the same ploppable water as you, look at filenames in your Plugin folder - you should see Water Model No 2, 3 and 5 there. If not, inform me and I will give you a link. You can find  Wave3 freestream mod here This is different from Jeronij's one, I will explain this difference in one of the next updates.

jeronij: Thank you very much, nice to hear something is new for you  :D

bat: Thank you, there will be more railways and bigger ports here   :thumbsup:

nisha: Very nice to see you, I invite you again if this region is close to your taste  :)

Patriots1228: Thanks for nice words, tell me please what specific links do you need?

bat56: Thank you, as you see I prepare a nice place for your excellent boats (and other BATs too) - but don't hurry  :thumbsup:

meldolion: Thank you very much and I hope I will see you again!

I know you would like to see cities, I think something will grow before Sunday  :D
But first I want to show some landscapes and terraforming, I am going to make an update tomorrow
In the meantime some random picture for your pleasure (I hope  ;))

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

ThomasAH

Nice rural pics, but my favourite so far is that dam :o

I can't wait for more development  ;)

nedalezz

Thats a great terraforming job! Can't wait to see some urban areas.

bat

Great new pictures of that mountain! Also nice work on the river! :thumbsup:

Pat

Ennedi psssssst city building naw skip that i love mountains and water shots... a great tour the mountains today there ennedi, thank you - pat

btw i use sorchins PW

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Those are some beautiful shots of the scenery, Ennedi. I don't see many habitable areas within the limitations of SC4, so watching how you develop this lovely landscape will be exciting.

Until next time...
Joan

Serkanner

I have just read the topic and watched the pictures. May I say WOW!!!???  That dam is truly fantastic and I also like to see the real example of the dam in Poland. I am signing up for this MD.  :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Welcome to Shosaloza!

Thomas AH, nedalezz, bat, patfirefghtr, Jmouse, Serkanner: Thank you for nice words and visit shosaloza again!  :thumbsup:
No longer replies today - sorry, but I have a lot of work in RL  :angrymore:

First of all I must say some cities are growing yet and maybe I will be able to show some more civilized areas till Sunday  :D

But today I would like to show some of my terraforming works, maybe it will be interesting to somebody  ()what()
I am curious about your opinion, because I'm trying to make something different than I see in other MD's and I'm not sure if you will like it.

I use PEG's Red - Brown Granite Rock Mod. Why? Because of it's contrast with grass and snow, and it harmonizes very well with other rock textures in Italia Terrain Mod.
I tried to use other CPT No 5 files, but the Olympic one (wchich is an original part of Italia Terrain Mod) is the best for me, because stones are more reddish - brown than in other CPT No 5 and they composed well with the rock mod.
But using such rock textures I have a problem - there aren't any ploppable rocks wchich blend well with them. So instead of using ploppable rocks I try to use textures to create rocky riversides etc.
I also noticed ploppable water doesn't need any finishing work on the river/lakeside in most cases. It is slightly slope tolerant, but if the slope is too steep, you can achieve ugly straight edges.
But I don't want to be boring, so I start to show pictures  :D

There are some people here who love natural landscapes, waterfalls and such things. I would like to express my sympathy to these people, so

And here is a mountain refuge and shepherd's house at the foot of waterfall (there are no sheep in SC4, I will return to this theme in future  ;D)

Don't worry Pat, I have something special for you too!

I modified some mountains in Shosaloza and here is a comparation:

Making forests I noticed all Tree Controllers have Maxis pines on higher levels. It was not good for me, and forests in Alps and Carpathian mountains look different.

Look at this picture - it is somewhere in North America. As you see there are trees till the end.

And now look at these pictures below:
There is an end of forest at the level depended on the climate, but on higher level we have something else. It is called dwarfpine (or dwarfed pine - I found both terms in dictionaries, in Polish "kosodrzewina"). This bush forms dense layer and it is the highest flora level except grass.

The only tree in SC4 wchich can imitate this bush is a swamp tree. I tried to use it. the result is far from perfect, but look at it:

1. Trying to learn how to use textures I made levelled areas in the test region, maybe it will be interesting to somebody:

2. Micro terraforming: I was going to make a stream in the snowy valley. The idea was to don't put ploppable rocks, but make a stripe without snow along the stream sides. But after levelling the terrain I had a lot of stones:

I started to modify the terrain using Mayor mode raising tool, set to smaller size and small strength (Shift F2). The technique is to start not less than 8 - 10 tiles away from the place you want to modify and using the tool as a brush modify terrain closer and closer. It needs some attention, the texture changes in the 3 - 5 tile wide radius from the modified place.

...And the final result

3. The lakeside: After levelling the terrain I saw rocky surface with a nice grassy stripe around it. So I filled this area by water leaving some rocks on the lakeside and two little islands:

New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

beskhu3epnm

Everything here that has been modified looks very original, with a lot of thought and experimentation in it. I now see what you had in mind when asking how to modify terrain textures. The door for that is still open!!

As for your terraforming skills, you display a lot of patience, and the result is excellent from all angles.!

You've got quite a mind for everything on this map!

I also see you have an image from Canada! That is Mt. Farnham in the center from my old backyard... (probably from my thread!). Great research, Ennedi.

So everything seems to be coming together quite well!

Excellent!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Eddie

This is the craziest and most unique thing I've ever seen in an MD. The realism factor is there too. You do wonders when you're playing SC4.  :thumbsup:

Ennedi

@beskhu3epnm: Thank you very much for your opinion, it is very important for me! I know you are one of the most experienced people in the mapping/terraforming area  :thumbsup:
Thank you very much for your proposition, I'm sure I will take your advice in future, and maybe I will be able to do something useful in this theme? I will try  :D
In my opinion, there are many areas in SC4 where a lot of excellent modding/programming work was done, but these new (and old) possibilities are not enough thorougly researched in game. So maybe there is a place here for a simple player?  :D

@Eddie: Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it! I love to make crazy things and maybe there will be more of them in this MD  :D
New Horizons Productions

Pat

Ennedi only real thing i can say here other then typical wow ooh aaaa eee or holy ______ <---- insert what ever here... I can say is Of Special Interest for September......... If that ain't a big enough hint i don't know what would be lol... Why i say that is because there is so much i wanna say i cant cause i would be rambling on in total aww inspiring babble...