• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

good news all
im finally done with my school project!
wich mean the powerline project is up and running again!

expect some  new updates within the upcomming weeks :)

buzzit

the_reb

the_reb

ah and I forgot, can you make wireless pylons set? it would be easier to put them on slopes! ;)

Buzzit

for some reason its forbidden to check out the first picture you send  :(! can you reupload it maybe?

anyways  what a huge construction the second and third picture!
awesomeness!!

and yep! thats something i had planned allready! every upcomming pack will have a wireless variant uploaded at the same time as a wired one  :)

im accually getting a bit bored my self on flat land only haha :P

metarvo

The slopes are probably one of the power line BATter's worst nightmares IMHO.  For my set, I have been working on a wireless version, but I have also made sloped wired variants as well, because I like my wires. ;D  The problem is that sloped power lines made in this manner always have a fixed slope, so they are still somewhat inflexible.  However, they can add some nice variety when used in combination with level wired poles.  I chose 15m as the fixed slope for my set because of its status as a "standard" slope in SC4.

It's good to see you back at work on this, Buzzit!  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Buzzit

nice! thanks!

the pylon model on the right of the second picture looks really awesome(the one with the  I V I configuration)
i think ill use that one for the suspensiontower
and the corner pylon shouldnt be a big deal either
because another pylon appreciatior made all kinds of usefull drawing :)
here:

©zoltan
the tower design itself is more slim but the top part of the tower is almost the same. still this one will be pretty challenging  :)

Buzzit

damn i had this weird idea that may work out into something really fantastic!

a make your own substation pack!

this pack will contain diffrent pieces so that you can construct your own substation!
in any size you want and any form you want.
this pack will also contain additional substationpylons for every type i will model so you can impliment them into the substation wich results in ultra realistic eye-candy!
some of the modules will be able to generate power wich will make them functional!

tell me what you guys think of it and if its possible :)

metarvo

Hey, I don't see why not!  :)  Modularity seems to be somewhat of a trend now, so there's no reason why substations wouldn't get the same treatment.  It would indeed be possible.  All you would have to do is make multiple lots and carefully place the props so that they would line up when the lots were built together as designed.  It's good to see that you found another model drawing, too.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Welcome back, buzzit

The substation pack seems to be a good idea. Like metarvo said, modular packs are really popular with the community. Sounds very useful to customize a city's energy grid.

Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

Buzzit

yeh i was thinking so to!
it really buffs the realism of the game imo  :)

i will get into this after i released the the german and tube package(wich is getting really extended btw!)
i keep getting new variations for it.  ;D

im also planning to make a tutorial on how to create a realistic powergrid using diffrent voltages and i will also try to explain certain information regarding powerlines powersgrids substation and such. the tutorial will be based on how im working with power in sc4

here's a regional shot of how im working(take note this is only on flat land. because i didn't use wireless pylons yet. also its still under construction but it will give a pretty good impression for what i mean.) :

unfortunately im not so good at building nice looking landscapes
but that something im also practising hehe

the_reb

Quote from: Buzzit on March 12, 2011, 08:48:30 AM
damn i had this weird idea that may work out into something really fantastic!

a make your own substation pack!

this pack will contain diffrent pieces so that you can construct your own substation!
in any size you want and any form you want.
this pack will also contain additional substationpylons for every type i will model so you can impliment them into the substation wich results in ultra realistic eye-candy!
some of the modules will be able to generate power wich will make them functional!

tell me what you guys think of it and if its possible :)

that would be great!  ;)

Buzzit

the first little update
(wicht took over 12000 seconds to render!!!)

its the first 'splitting' pylon for the tube package

i also renderd the second diagonal for the the 3rd tube styled pylon(the one with all insulators on the same side)

allthough it still looks pretty decent i still have an annoying issue i have with most of the corner connections
wich i made a picture of aswell:

as you can see it has some short of kink(is this the right word for it?) in the wire
i already noticed it when i was test rendering it and i 'pulled' it as tight as possible but i couldnt get the kink out of it.
is there a way to deal with this properly?
atleast if it bothers most of you?  if it aint that big of a deal ill keep it this way
it would save me alot of time.

i also took a look at wireless slope friendly pylons
but for some reason i don't get the result i want
Maarten suggested me to try custom lods wich i did.. unfortunately that didnt worked either(or i made a mistake with that.)
this is how it looks like now:

anyone else has ideas for this one?

till the next update!
Buzzit

mave94

12000 seconds?? woow, that's a lot!
Welcome back Buzzit. I've never posted here but I've downloaded your power pylons as well and I must say they're really nice. Great work, Buzzit! :)
Those look great in rural areas.
About the kink I can't help you.
And about the power comsumption: If you export a model then you'll have to set in PIM or SC4 PIM extended the power comsumption to zero, just by clicking on it. I hope that helps; others can correct me if I'm wrong. For me it works and there didn't show up any zots.
Oh, and it seems like the split pylon is placed on a tree... and the wireless pylons have two legs on the back has some thicker cylinders; I suppose this is the hill?
Good luck!

-Matthijs :thumbsup:

Buzzit

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on March 13, 2011, 07:29:01 AM
12000 seconds?? woow, that's a lot!
Welcome back Buzzit. I've never posted here but I've downloaded your power pylons as well and I must say they're really nice. Great work, Buzzit! :)
Those look great in rural areas.
About the kink I can't help you.
And about the power comsumption: If you export a model then you'll have to set in PIM or SC4 PIM extended the power comsumption to zero, just by clicking on it. I hope that helps; others can correct me if I'm wrong. For me it works and there didn't show up any zots.
Oh, and it seems like the split pylon is placed on a tree... and the wireless pylons have two legs on the back has some thicker cylinders; I suppose this is the hill?
Good luck!

-Matthijs :thumbsup:

jup but i render in HD maybe thats why.
and i noticed its because of the wire
for some reason im also unable to render river crossing pylons.. or atleast the wires of it. because that will give me an error wich i don't know how to solve at the moment :(

yeh im aware on how to set the power comsumption to zero but because these pylons where just test pylons i didn't changed it :)

good that you noticed that with the split pylon btw!

and on the test model. i made those concrete foots that long on purpose
im experimenting with slope friendliness :) you see if i didn't changed the length the pylons would probably 'float' in the air. but now it seems i have another problem as you already mentioned

Buzzit

nice that you mention it

i update the first page everytime when i have new ideas
i something like this i already had in mind:

'-special packs and stuff:
- powerlines 'underconstruction'(jup actual eye-candy with pylons being constructed)'

that would give some good realism with it aswell!

good that you like the pack btw! :)
this will probably be my most expanded pack that i will ever upload haha

only i think i will use mobile crane props instead of actual helicopters

metarvo

Hmmm... that's quite an idea there!  ;)  We have construction scenes that appear when growable buildings are built by the game, and there are some ploppable construction sets available that are used for road construction and other projects.  So, it makes sense that power lines would get the same variety.  You know, I had considered the idea of creating MMLs for my 70-lot ( :shocked2: ) set which would help to reduce menu clutter, and I had thought about using construction type lots with bulldozers and dirt in addition to power poles.  Now, you've made me realize the usefulness of creating a specialized construction set.  I only wish there were some utility trucks available... it might be a project for me one day.  :)

Of course, my eyes nearly popped out :o when I saw the splitters.  That is a fine concept.  I have in fact seen splitters for the RL equivalent of my pylon set on Google Maps where two single-circuit lines merge into a double-circuit one.  I've never experienced a kink like that before, but I do have a theory as to why it might have happened.  It could be because the isolators for the splitter and the diagonal pole are at different heights.  Then again, the same could be said for several of my corner pylons (which have isolators at different heights than their straight-line counterparts but no kinks).  So, I just don't know.  In any case, it doesn't bother me at all.  ()stsfd()

It looks as though the delta pylons on stilts are rotated 180° against the hill rather than with it.  Have you tried pointing them the other way?  It seems as though the taller concrete supports should be resting at a lower point than the shorter ones.

MR.Y

wohooo, buzzit is back...may I'll post the pics the next time, when I find time...
updaterequest: how far are your german HV-Pylons?

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy