• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AC Functional, Upgradeable Airports, Support Thread

Started by RippleJet, May 17, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

This is the support thread for AC Functional Airports ::)
If you have questions, please post below! ;)

The main features of the AC Functional Airports are:

1. They are functional

That means they have a passenger capacity, and each passenger transported will provide CO CAP relief.
The number of passengers using all airports in a city is always the same as the city's CO capacity.

2. They are upgradeable

Just like the ingame airports that have three stages, all new AC airports are upgradeble.
However, the number of growth stages is not restricted to 3 (as with the ingame airports).
In fact, we could create up to 255 growth stages if we'd want to.

At this stage we are restricting ourselves though.
Take a look at the airports below to see how many growth stages we've made so far.

3. They upgrade automatically

There are three sizes of airports in the game; landing strips, municipal airports and international airports.
We've decided to make all upgradeable custom airports into municipal airports.

By changing the LUA scripts that control the upgrades we've made the municipal airports upgrade automatically.
In other words, you will not be asked if you want to upgrade an airport.
Note that this also applies to the ingame municipal airport (but not to the landing strip or the international airport).

If your airport funding is 100%, and the usage exceeds 95%, our airports will upgrade on their own.
The cost for the upgrade will be deducted from your funds.
Thus, if you're short on money, reduce your airport funding a little to stop the upgrades.

Note, this automatic upgrade also applies to seaports.
Thus, the ingame seaport will upgrade automatically after you've installed AC Functional Airports.

4. They are backwards compatible with SWAP

All airports that were included in SWAP, and all airports that were supported in Swamper77's support file are included in AC Functional Airports.
SWAP Package Loading Center (which is a functional seaport) is also included and backwards compatible.

In other words, you do not have to bulldoze any SWAP airports you may have built in your cities.
Also, if you have the SWAP and Ripptide's CdS Island Air, you can still keep any Seaplane Bases you've built.

5. They are compatible with all future AC Functional Airports

Every future package of AC Functional Airports will include all previously released airports.
Thus, you will never be missing any airports and will never get CTD's due to that.

In order not to increase the filesize of the AC Functional Airports, no models are included.
They are all packed into external prop packs, and linked to as dependencies.

6. They are compatible with BSC Functional Seaports

The SWAP Package Loading Center is included both in SWAP and in AC Functional Airports.
This fact makes these packages incompatible with all custom functional seaports.

However, due to close cooperation, the upcoming BSC Functional Seaports will be compatible.
The file structures and installation paths are important for this to work.

Thus, you are not allowed to change the installation path for the main files included.
The airports are installed in the path My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Airports
The seaports are installed in the path My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Seaports

7. They are incompatible with other functional ports

A cleanitol file is included to help you check if you've got any incompatible airports.
The cleanitol file will not check for incompatible seaports though.

If we would remove functional 3rd-party seaports from your plugins,
we would cause CTD's if you have already built any of these seaports in your cities.

Thus, if you want to use the Package Loading Center,
it is your responsibilty to first bulldoze all incompatible seaports and associated controllers.
This must be done before installing AC Functional Airports or BSC Functional Seaports.

The mostly distributed such 3rd-party functional seaports are those in CDK3 and CSK by Pegasus.
Using them in connection with AC Functional Seaports would cause the CSK2 Small Port to replace the Package Loading Center.

8. They can be removed from your menu

Since removing a functional airport from your plugins would cause a CTD, this is not the way to go.
Instead, by default, none of the airports are appearing in the menu at all.
To make them appear we are including enabler files, that can be moved in and out whenever you like.

The enablers all have a filename starting with Enable, e.g. "Enable SWAP Airports by Thalassicus.dat".
At installation all enablers are placed into My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Airports.
Since the filename starts with Enable, they are always loaded after "AC Functional Airports" in the same folder.

They are also copied into My Documents\SimCity 4\LEX_Downloads\X-Ports\Airports\Blockers and Enablers.

If you want to remove airports from the menu, just delete the appropriate Enabler from the Airports folder:
My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Airports.

Any airports not enabled will still be functional in the game.
Thus, you do not have to bulldoze existing airports in order to remove them from the menu.
And if the blocked airport is an upgradeable one, it will still upgrade if needed. Despite not being enabled.

The only airports that are enabled by default are the three in-game ones by Maxis.
Thus, instead of needing an Enabler, we've included Blockers for them, so that you can remove them from the menu.
The blockers can be found in the same folder, My Documents\SimCity 4\LEX_Downloads\X-Ports\Airports\Blockers and Enablers.

If you want to block the in-game airports from appearing, simply copy that Blocker into
My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Airports.

Airports included in AC Functional Airports

The table below lists all functional airports included, with their most important stats.
They are listed in the order they appear in the airport menu (unless removed by a blocker).

Version    Airport NameMade by      Lot Size    Stages 
  Maximum
Capacity
Landing StripMaxis
6×18
Municipal AirportMaxis
10×29
International AirportMaxis
15×35
SpaceportMaxis
7×6
BLS City and Airport Bus Stop  BarbyW
1×1
MOG helipadMoganite
1×2
BLS Roth Air and City BusBarbyW
2×2
BLS Airport ShuttleBarbyW
5×6
SimGoober HeliportSimGoober
9×6
AC Prefab AirportVoltaire
35×9
CdS Island AirRipptide
12×6
Modern ATCTMuzzy
2×3
Airport Tram CenterThalassicus
6×8
Terminal - Long ExpandableThalassicus
14×18
Terminal - LongThalassicus
19×18
Terminal - Small HorseshoeThalassicus
19×18
Terminal - ArmThalassicus
21×29
Terminal - WingThalassicus
45×14
Terminal - ForkThalassicus
28×24
Terminal - Curved BranchThalassicus
30×24
SWAP - Small TerminalXiziz
6×5
SWAP - Medium TerminalXiziz
7×4

Version is the version number of the AC Functional Airports package.
The version is part of the filename, e.g: "AC Functional Airports, Version 2.0.dat".

RippleJet

MOG Helipad

Here's the first teaser of automatically upgrading airports...

Moganite's Helipad is a small 1×2 lot that you can use in rural and small-town environments.
Since the capacity is rather small, you would soon be needing a larger airport if you let commercial offices develop.

Stage 1 comes with a UDI enabled Medical Helicopter
Stage 2 comes with a UDI enabled Police Helicopter
Stage 3 comes with a UDI enabled News Helicopter

BarbyW

This is a  super development, RJ, and will revolutionise airports in the game.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

geoffhaw

This is looking good!  I've been watching this develop with interest!

JoeST

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, thanks very much Peoples of the AC team and others related to this :)

one question... If I were to use this, can I move the whole /x-ports/ folder arround?... IE as long as it loads last is it ok?... as a user of the -userdir function I was just wondering...

Thanks

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RippleJet

Due to how severe port related CTD's are, we wouldn't recommend changing the installation paths.
The X-Ports folder is used both by AC Functional Airports and BSC Functional Seaports.

The whole X-Ports folder should also never be datpacked.
Especially since certain versions of DatPacker may change the loading order of files.

Quote from: star.torturer on May 17, 2008, 02:06:17 PM
one question... If I were to use this, can I move the whole /x-ports/ folder arround?...

You can, but only if you blame yourself whenever you get a CTD... ::)

When installing a future update, e.g. AC Functional Airports, Version 2.0, it would install into the same folder, to ensure it is loaded after any previous versions (in case the user forgot to run the included Cleanitol file).

Quote from: star.torturer on May 17, 2008, 02:06:17 PM
IE as long as it loads last is it ok?... as a user of the -userdir function I was just wondering...

It doesn't have to be loaded last.
However, it would have to be loaded after SWAP, in case that one isn't removed (again using the included Cleanitol file).

The problem would be if you moved AC Functional Airports, Version 1.0 into a zzzz.... folder,
and then installed AC Functional Airports, Version 1.1 into X-Ports\Airports.

With the newer version loaded first, you would get new airports.
However, you would get the old developer file loaded from the older version, and would certainly encounter a CTD.

Once a port related CTD has occurred, that city is lost forever...

JoeST

Thanks for clearing that up :), but what I mean is... will the game actually read them if I use the -userdir command and dont move them? i doubt it, just need to make sure I leave a copy in the original location so the installer can install over old files and then just recopy the original to where I have them :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RippleJet

BLS Airport Shuttle

Barby's Airport Shuttle starts out as a simple bus stop,
but there's space reserved behind it for several future upgrades.

No less than 15 growth stages are included,
allowing the capacity and funding to be optimized, even if the funding is kept at 100% all the time.

The maximum capacity of 70,200 is enough for most small and medium-sized, non-specialized cities
(having all kinds of zones, R, C and I), up to a population between 250,000 and 500,000.

BarbyW

The airport shuttle does have quite a lot of dependencies - ones most people will have already. It is a pity RJ doesn't $%Grinno$%

RippleJet

Quote from: BarbyW on May 19, 2008, 05:53:56 AM
It is a pity RJ doesn't $%Grinno$%

Ehh... it's uhhm... &ops
It's just... ehm... meant as a showcase... showing what happens if you don't download all dependencies... $%Grinno$%

15 more snapshots need to be taken tonight... ::)

BarbyW

:thumbsup: Well I did send you the list of dependencies.  ::)

RippleJet

Quote from: BarbyW on May 19, 2008, 05:59:14 AM
Well I did send you the list of dependencies.  ::)

I... have... the... list...

I even posted it elsewhere:

BSC MEGA Props Misc Vol01
   BSCBATProps MJB Vol09
   CSX MEGA Props Vol06
   BSC MEGA Props SG Vol01
   SG Bus Stops BSC
   SG Models_Restaurants
   SG Models_Adult
   SG Models_Malls
   SG Models_Hotels1
   BSC Props SG Holiday Park Vol01

Maybe I should run the Cleanitol file I myself made based on that list... ::)

RippleJet

Okay... here's a close-up of Barby's BLS Airport Shuttle with all dependencies in place (I hope)... ::)

Silur

Hi, RippleJet ...
Thank You ...
This is very interesting and helpful for me ...
I'll try some steps of construction with Your thread ...  :thumbsup:

RippleJet

SimGoober Heliport

This is probably the most anticipated custom airport/heliport so far...

SimGoober made the original version three years ago.
It was briefly available for download before it was locked due to numerous CTD reports.

Now, SimGoober has made bigger versions of the heliport, giving us 6 growth stages of it! :)

The capacity increases from 3,600 to 123,800, covering the needs for rather large cities.

The heliport is "network enabled" for the avenue and railroad passing through it.
This allows the networks to function without the pathfinders resetting the commute clock at the heliport.
This also means it is not a station, allowing train passengers to get off at the heliport.

Also note, that during and a couple of months after each upgrade, the network paths will be broken.
Thus, make sure anyone commuting along the avenue or railroad can find alternative routes to work during the upgrades.

The heliport even comes with helicopters taking off (those small red ones). :)
Be prepared for a busy airspace around it!

Xperian

RippleJet

CdS Island Air

Perfect for those areas that can't afford to waste land on large sprawling airports,
the Casa Del Soliel Base de Hidroavión is one of the main terminals for Island Air.
Whether its business travel, or simply island hopping and sightseeing trips, Island Air will take you there.

Batted by Ripptide and lotted by Barby. Updated to match the capacity and cost of all other airports.
Since Ripptide is MIA we decided not to make this upgradeable though.

The animation above shows how the airport is network enabled with roads.
The roads should be dragged after the airport has been plopped in order to enable UDI.

FrankU

This is fantastic work!
Will they show up in the region view as airports?

RippleJet

figui

fantastic work!
one question though: does the capacities add to each other if i plop more than one airport in one city?

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________