• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Erasmus bridge problem

Started by joostjoost, January 17, 2011, 07:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joostjoost

Hello everyone,

So im working on this bridge called, the Erasmus bridge (located in Rotterdam). I will show you a picture of my unfinished bridge.
The only problem is i cannot name the group id of my object. Actually i'm unfamiliar with the whole process about exporting and placing the created bridge in the game. I have read a lot in the tutorials from jeronji but i think the software he used, outdated the updated versions of gmax so it is really hard to understand by now. I hope you can help me with advancing my bridge.

threestooges

My version of BAT and gmax is fairly recent (thanks to an unexpected hard drive swap) and as far as I can tell the tutorial is still current. Let us know what may have changed though.

As for naming the group id, I assume you mean you're working on Step 4 of Jeronij's tutorial. Just click on "Model ID" from the custom tab and you should be able to edit the values in the line above. The only problem I can think of that wouldn't allow the changes to be preserved, is that you need to click the "update" button after you edit the values. Just hitting enter, or clicking ok will revert the values to the original numbers.

There are some other modding issues you may run into starting with a 2-tile wide bridge, and using an asymmetrical design, but the basics of Jeronij's tutorial still hold true when it comes to modding them.

joostjoost

When i made the box like in step 4 from the tutorial from jeronji, i can't select custom id, there are no items in the list.
By the way, my bat export section in gmax creates LOD's by his own. Does this mean i can skip step 2 in the tutorial?

threestooges

For the ID question, have you exported the model and saved the file again as the tutorial said?

As for the LOD creation, generally you want to make your own and keep them simple. Keeping them simple (fewer sides) reduces the time required to draw each piece in game, saving on processor resources, and making your own ensures that they won't overlap the roadway and obstruct automata using it. The LOD is, essentially, the box drawn in game that a picture of your model is pasted on. The game doesn't actually redraw the entire model each time. You can go either way as long as the LOD sufficiently covers your model. You'll see the results in game when you get there and you can decide for yourself.

Also, be sure to use the IDs he indicates in the tutorial. That will ensure you avoid any conflicts with any other bridges out there. Once you get the hang of it and things look good in game, let us know and we'll get a new set for you.

xannepan

Quote from: joostjoost on January 17, 2011, 11:03:07 AM
When i made the box like in step 4 from the tutorial from jeronji, i can't select custom id, there are no items in the list.
By the way, my bat export section in gmax creates LOD's by his own. Does this mean i can skip step 2 in the tutorial?

1) You first have to render once. 2) Next adjust the TGI. 3) Save the model. 4) Start a completely new scene and 5) reload the model.

Your bridge looks great by the way. But I really recommend you to start with a much simpler model first, and excercise. I started modelling bridges a few weeks ago... it takes a lot of time and patience... Be prepared for frustration.

Good luck,
Alex

Lowkee33

The Group ID can also be changed in Reader.

FrankU

Hi joostjoost,
This project is quite an entrance on this site. Let me say welcome to you here!

joostjoost

Maybe someone can take over this project because this just isnt my thing. I can give you my models, the bridge is done, i made pieces like the tutorials said (repeat mid and start/end). The only problem is i dont know how to import a 2 tile bridge and convert it with ilives reader to an actually ingame bridge.

Buzzit

looks fantastic!
tobad i'm only into powerlines
so i cant help you out with this.
maybe people from the bridge department can help you out further