• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Haljackey's SimCity 4 Archives

Started by Haljackey, May 04, 2008, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

Terrific works here, while I knew that the EL-Avenue x EL-Highway piece existed, I never attempted to place nor use it. You learn something every day. :D
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

JoeST

I never knew about the El-Ave to ElHighway piece :O

looking retro XD

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Swordmaster

Nice thread going here.  &apls

Hal, where can I find that massive 12-track El-rail station you got there? Can't find it on the Stex or Lex.

Haljackey

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Swordmaster:  That is an el-rail/bullet train station by APTX.  The bulk of his content is down, but he is slowly re-releasing it this month.  Keep track of this link:
http://yaplog.jp/waldorf/archive/20
In addition, keep track of this SC4 Wiki article, which I update when something related to the bullet train mod is re-released:  http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php/Bullet_Train_Mod

"Update" 8: The Multi-Highway Experiment

For those who don't know about the multi-highway concept, see here:
http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php/Multi_highway

Way back when I discovered that multi-highways were possible (thanks to Lakeyboy's guide), I experimented with them in my cities, and went one step further.  I attempted to create a city totally dependent on the multi-highway setup, forcing sims to commute to work on either the inner and outer sections.  Some pics from the experiment are follow.

Here is the city from the region census:

One of the multi-highways: the only way to get around the city.

The lanes break away as the highway approaches the central industrial zone, where most of the population works.

North community interchange:

South community:

East:

West:

Zoom out of the industrial area:

Community zoom out.  As you can see in this image, the experiment failed, mainly due to commute times.

However, some communities faired better than others.

And, at last the central cloverleaf interchange which connected everything together.

I learned many things from this experiment, and it has helped me see from a visual perspective how multi-highways interact with a city.  I still apply the concepts to this day, and it has aided in construction of proper multi-highway networks in my modern cities.  Unlike this experiment which ended in failure, my new multi-highways are highly successful in handling and managing traffic movement.  This has led to efficient, uncongested commuting allowing the city to support high-density development without abandonment.  Once such example this has been applied to is my CJ/MD, which you can find a link to in my signature.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this update!  Perhaps you have learned a thing or two about multi highways as well!

Best,
-Haljackey

CasperVg

This was one fairly interesting experiment indeed, Haljackey. I'm glad you decided to post it here. I like that Rotary Setup around the cloverleaf as well.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Theirishnintendonerd

Pretty intresting stuff , hal. Its amazing how much effort pepole put into makeing the nam over the years lol   :)
-Trevor

un1

Lot of Maxis..  :P Interesting indeed!  &Thk/(

-un1

kj3400

I usually don't post over here, but this was so interesting I had to say something!
It looks very complicated, I must say. I take it one-way->HW transitions weren't available back then?
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Swordmaster

Thanks Hal! Will keep an eye on it.

Haljackey

Thanks a lot for all your support!

Swordmaster:  The bullet train mod is now up if you didn't already know.  Check the link in my last post.

"Update" 9: Random RHW Pictures

This update contains various pictures of interest that feature the RHW network.  Some of these pictures are, well, old, but are worth another look at. 

Keep in mind that these pics are in no order at all.  Just enjoy the ride!

Many of the pictures here were dug up from this thread:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=86364

Enjoy!

The RHW as it once was, before 1.0. 
-Call it "0.1" if you will :P

One of my prouder accomplishments with RHW 2.0: tight loop ramps.

The RHW in its Pre-MIS days:

Good'ol Multi-RHW.  Not much nowadays, but quite an achievement back then.

A complicated interchange featuring the RHW as connector roads:

A RHW-caused graphics error?  At least it didn't crash the game!  :P

RHW distribution:

An old Multi-RHW/elevated highway interchange:
-The "multi" part of the Multi-RHW was added later on.

Ah, crap.  You all know what happened here, right?   ::) %%Order?/
-If not,click HERE pronto! 

RHW as a beachside highway.  The side that connects to zones was converted to a OWR while the other direction was left as-is.

RHW rest stop:

A closer look at the offramp.  The MIS came a long way eh?
-BTW, this was just eyecandy, not functional.

A very old RHW thoroughfare.

The RHW-2 goes for a swim!   ?=mad)=

Big Dig + RHW = this.   $%Grinno$%

What we did before MIS came to be.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the little time capsule here.  With RHW 3.0 on its way, who knows how many possibilities there will be?

Best,
-Haljackey

swat-medic

Oh man these are great hal!!

I especially love this picture   ;D

rooker1

You definately have some really interesting concepts. 
You should be the one asking for the missing transportation connections.   ;)
Great work.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

WC_EEND

where did you get those RHW rest stops? :)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Haljackey I found those rhw interchange from page 1 .Do you know any more info this project? They were from a cancelled project called HTC (Hableurgs Transportation Complements).

But hey, there is a BETA download for them! However, they're only eyecandy....

link http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800718/HTC.zip ( off-site? Is that okay?)  ()what()

Here's a link to the ST page: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=90370&enterthread=y

EDIT - ()sad() Sorry i forgot this Haljackey's SC4 Archives and may of stole the spotlight. I merely wanted to give back.
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

deathtopumpkins

Oooh...  :o I might just have to learn to make interchanges for those...   :o

And great look at some older RHW pics Hal! It's amazing how much that mod has progressed...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

Hey hal sorry I missed this collection update and thanks to DTP i finally saw it!!! Nice collection indeed!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Haljackey

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Fresh Prince of SC4D:  Interesting find.  They look so outdated when using the current MIS eh?  Still, some full interchanges would be nice to have if these were ever functional.

"Update" 10:  Constructing the Witburg Transportation Hub.

If you've been following the GTR (link in my signature), you probably know about Witburg Station.  The thing is that its more than just a station, its an entire transportation hub!  This trek into my archives will show you what I went through to build this massive thing.

Of course I'd start with an interchange!  :P 
-This outlaying multi-highway interchange creates a direct connection between the bypassing multi-highway and Wirburg, and continues into the urban GTR as well.

Here's the main part of the hub under construction.  As you can see, almost every mass-transit network passes through here!  :P

Looking further out, we see the main trunk line, a rail station and part of a RHW interchange.

The new overview:

Overlooking Witburg Station.

More parking being added:

New highway connections:

A properly graded intersection piror to a tunnel that heads below this massive station.

Zoning has begun and a large highway interchange has been added.

A closer look at the highway interchange.  This is a unique junction as it also features direct connections to Witburg Station.

Another connecting rail station is built.

The trunk line on the other side of the station.

Finishing touches are made as the station opens to the public.

Well, that does it for now.  Witburg has since urbanized, and the station now complete and is getting a ton of use.  To see pics of the station in action, head over to the GTR (link in my signature).

Best,
-Haljackey

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie