• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Zack, it's fantastic to see Nyhaven up and going again.  Having been through Prop Pox with the main tile of Chemeketa, I feel your pain, and really admire what you've done with that rebuild on Kendall.  The green spaces you have throughout that city really give it a nice open feel, and of course, the RHW and NWM work there is second to none. :thumbsup:

-Alex

compdude787

Nice rebuild! I really like that highway map! Hopefully you don't get prop pox again and end up having to rebuild everything again--that would suck.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vortext

Great work, and patience I might add, rebuilding the tile!  &apls

The maps are fantastic as well, I really like the Savegame composite map in particular!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

Absolutely amazing update. The government mall is gorgeous with a great selection of BATs and custom lotting. I really like the lush residential areas as well. Superb work!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

woodb3kmaster

kelis: Thank you! I actually had already finished rebuilding when I posted that update, but I appreciate your kind words.
kbieniu7: Thanks! Yes, it was plenty of work, but I found that it went faster than I expected, especially once I started growing the zones.
Themistokles: Thank you! I'm glad you like the rebuilt city.
vester: Thanks! I prefer to use my Dropbox for pictures because I'm rather distrustful of image hosts; the ones I'm familiar with have either forced their members to pay (e.g. Imageshack) or vanished from the Internet (e.g. Majhost). I have doubts about the remaining sites staying free and open, so I'm happy to just use my Dropbox (which now has extra space, thanks to my upgrading to Dropbox Pro). I could go back to using my personal website as a private image host, but uploading to it is rather inconvenient.
Alex (Tarkus): Thanks, Alex! I'm glad you like my work with the NAM in the new Kendall. You can be sure that more is coming... ;)
compdude787: Thank you! Yes, I'd hate to have to rebuild the city a second time; thankfully, the savegame has passed the size where it would start showing signs of the pox, so it looks like I'm in the clear.
Erik (vortext): Thanks, Erik! That one map is what made all this work possible. I wish that Savegame Explorer could display a map of all networks in a quad (and I'm sure that information is stored in the savegame), but I worked well with what I had access to.
belfastsocrates: Thank you! I'm glad you like all the custom lots and my BAT selection, along with the suburbs.

Today's update is a little more, shall we say, utilitarian than usual (okay, you can stop groaning at that pun now). I've shown Nyhaven and Kendall's transportation infrastructure here plenty of times, but until a couple of months ago, I had neglected the even-more-important electric infrastructure. After all, without a constant supply of electricity, what would power the metro area's economy? (Okay, I'll stop punning now. :P)

I recently finished working on my first modular nuclear power plant, the Marshland Nuclear Generating Station. While most of Lower Columbia's old uranium-fueled nuclear plants have been decommissioned or converted to thorium-fueled reactors, this beast of a power plant is still active, just upriver from Nyhaven International Airport.

Here's another view of the plant, showing some of the high-voltage wires carrying its gigawatts of power to the whole region. I recently replaced the wired pylons I originally used with these larger, wireless ones; this change allowed me to increase the spacing between them to something more realistic, while the invisible transmission lots I added keep the lines functional. The only catch is the lack of true FA3 pylons; I've substituted the turn pylons to simulate them, since they're at roughly the same angles.

Some of the power lines running from this plant follow the railroad west past the town of Marshland (which, as you might imagine, is the plant's namesake). The town rail station was greatly expanded when the nearby industrial park was built. Marshland sits at the edge of the metro area (for now).

But it isn't the edge of the region anymore! The Marshland quad used to be in the southeast corner of the region, but thanks to my painstaking efforts, the Nyhaven region is now twice its former size - 99 large quads instead of 49 (or roughly 44x36 km vs. 28x28 km). In fact, the first two pictures above wouldn't even have been possible before I expanded the region, since they cross the border into two of the new quads. Now I can build Kendall's suburbs as far out as I want - and as you can see, I've already done a lot of work on them. In all, the region is now home to 3.3 million people, thanks in part to those new suburbs.

What's with that big black box labeled "SECRET", you ask? Well, you'll find out before long. Suffice it to say, though, that it will be no flight of fancy... ;)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Vizoria

As I posted on Simtropolis, good stuff; the trees and the forests look great. I take it the top secret area is an airport right?

kbieniu7

Wow, that's a quite massive facility, indeed! Looks impressive from the region view (by the way, I know how does it feel and how much time does it take to add new part of region and terraform it!), as well as all those powerlines going inside - I like that attitude to infrastructure. I try to add the same to my region, but I made it far more modest there, hah :D What I could add, it's that in my opinion the power lines are too close to each other, I think there should be a little biger (one tile?) gap between two parrallel ones.

And I guess, that the secret area is a space port maybe?  ;D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

compdude787

Nice power plant! One issue I notice is that in the 2nd to last picture, the powerlines running along the stretch of FARR seem to be too close together.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

metarvo

Unfortunately, as a power line enthusiast who's killed way too much time on Google Earth, I'm going to have to agree about the smaller line being too close to the larger line, especially on the FA3 segment.  Power lines have right of way areas IRL to keep this from happening, among other reasons, and it looks like a potential cure would be to move the larger pylons a little (given that the smaller ones are closest to development and there would be less room).

Nonetheless, the use of corner pylons to simulate FA3 is a truly brilliant idea, and the attention to wirespan length is a nice touch.  That power plant complex is breathtakingly massive and yet true to RL scale, unlike the tiny Maxis plants.  I'm on a modularity kick anyway right now, so it's great to see it used so well at Marshland.  Nice update, Zack!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

korver

Nice work, like I mentioned on ST :thumbsup: Quite an ambitious project and you did a great job with the entire complex. Once you fix a couple minor issues (i.e. the power lines), it'll be perfect.

art128

Very interesting powerplant, however I'm unsure if smokestacks are needed as well with the two cooling towers per units. However that is still a very nice complex. I would only upgrade the fencing for some high security fence. (Neko has some nice props in his prop packs)

I have however some concerns about the region view: Firstly there are some tall building directly adjacent to the runways of the airport which seems to me like some dangerous situation in case of bad visibility. And also I find the power plant (specially with the high smokestacks) seriously close to the airport and again to the path of the runway.. If it was me I'd move the NPP further up the river on the island near the edge of the region.

Just some points that bothered me a bit, but of course it's your region so you're free to do as you please. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog