• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

This is one of TDOT's more brilliantly-planned and executed  projects – the perfect solution to what seems a perplexing problem at first glance.

The proximity of Hammerhead Lake limits the extension of Ardent, but what a nightmare it would have been were it not for the tunnel. I've never seen that done before – very clever!

Has the entire Ardent/31st St. widening project been completed? I noticed a lot of traffic on the new overpass, so clearly the change was needed.

There doesn't appear to be any access to Ardent/31st from 94, though, and I was wondering where access is available. Possibly around 18th? Once again, I'm thinking of our Highway 63 which has very few Jonesboro exits. The one I'm familiar with leads straight to "motel row" and a variety of restaurants, which is as it should be.

I find the whole transport-planning process to be more and more interesting, and the way you do things here makes perfect sense. I can think of several cities in dire need of skills like yours! :)

Later...
Joan

bakerton

beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

TmiguelT

yeah this CJ inspired me a lot  &apls. Also the tunnel on that interchange looks unique. This would be the first Interchange with a tunnel  :thumbsup: (i think so). Now if we talk about the TDOT Budget, this would be the numbers with the tunnel 25,000 Sim Money and without would be 14,000 Sim Money  "$Deal"$ Unless you don't have trouble with your budget it would be ok  ;). Overall this CJ rocks  ;D

Nexis4Jersey

Simpson

Hi Alex !
I'm so sorry that I missed all these updates. Your transit network is incredible, as well, it's a real inspiration for me  :thumbsup:.
I'm looking forward to the update 49.

Take care,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

BigSlark

Great update, Alex. You continue to inspire my transit networks.

Cheers,
Kevin

EDGE4194

alex- great update. you have created a very unique interchange. i bet the eastbound 94 commuters aren't very pleased now that their access has been terminated!

calibanX

I love the construction project. Your transportation network is inspiring to say the least. Watch out for road rage there!

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

just_a_guy

I love how you focus on the construction process of your whole transport network. It's very realistic and over all very well planned interchanges!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

Sciurus

Ah, still in construction, but you'll never finish your city $%Grinno$%
No, the construction, it's a thing I love to see, I prefer when it's under construction, than it's all finished, because when it's all finished, you bore.... ::)
So, good luck for the follow ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tarkus

Well, I'm finally back with a new update.  And here's a shocker . . . there's no construction this time. ;)

First, replies:

mightygoose:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and I think you'll be quite relieved once you see the 31st Street widening. :D

Ryan (burgsabre87):  Thanks for the compliments on the interchange!  It means a lot coming from a fellow roadgeek. :)  As far as the shields go, I'm not sure if they will end up on the maps or not . . . I've been kind of trying to emulate the old Thomas Guide maps (before Rand McNally bought them out and completely ruined them), and they usually just use the green circles for state routes.  Though I'm thinking I might transition to a new design at some point . . .

(And thanks for helping rdrdrdrd out, too. ;))

bat:  Thank you for the kind words, my friend.  Glad you liked the highway there!

battlecat:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the project, and the Avenue curve usage--those pieces have come in handy for me so many times. :)

rdrdrdrd:  Thanks for the compliments, and I'll second burgsabre87's suggestions.  I always tend to leave a little bit of extra "right-of-way" easement whenever I'm building any sort of highway or surface arterial, just in case.  I'd also recommend picking up Ennedi's Slope Mods and Shadow Assassin's Hole Digger/Raiser Lots, which are on the LEX.  They've been a standby for me for the past year or so now, and were used for this most recent interchange project. 

I used the 15m Raiser coupled with the NAM Avenue Onslope pieces to build the overpass.  Hope that helps!  Perhaps I'll have to do a "making of" update one of these days.

Pat:  Sounds like a plan.  :D  The city will be cleaning up its act.  And thanks for the kind words on the interchange--I'm glad you enjoyed this latest project!

nerdly_dood:  Thanks for the all-too-kind words, my friend.  I've kind of just gotten so used to making the "in construction" shots that it seems like an ordinary part of the game.  One of these days, I do need to make some more construction stuff to spruce the projects up even further.

io_bg:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks for the kind words and the great analysis as well!  That tunnel was kind of an "aha" moment when I came across that solution, though it kind of makes the Ardent-to-Westbound 94 connection awkward.  31st has been widened now all the way down to the south end of the golf course, though the 31st/Milvedo intersection is still a mess.  There is a 31st/Ardent-to-Eastbound 94 ramp now, which gets pretty heavy use, too.  I'll likely show both in a (near) future update.

Jon (bakerton):  Thanks for the kind words!  TDOT appreciates it, too. :)

TmiguelT:  Thanks, I'm always quite stoked when I hear I've inspired someone here. :)  I'm glad you liked the tunnel solution there . . . it was an interesting interchange to build, and I'm mostly happy with how it came out, though I guarantee it will get torn up and rebuilt again. :D  As far as TDOT goes, they're extraordinarily well-funded, though some of the stuff in Argentum has proven a bit costly.  And the City of Los Endos isn't doing too shabby, so they can afford to help foot TDOT's costs if needed.

Corey (Nexis4Jersey):  Thanks, glad you enjoyed the hustle and bustle here!  That interchange certainly has a lot of it. ;)

David (Simpson):  Thanks for the kind words, and no need to apologize. :)  I'm glad you're enjoying the transit network aspect of things, and I hope you enjoy Update 49 now that it's (finally) here.

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks for the compliments!  I'm just thrilled to know I'm inspiring other roadgeeks! :)

Eric (EDGE4194):  Glad you enjoyed this latest installment--thanks!  And the eastbound 94 commuters will be placated here soon, fortunately.  I think Los Endos Blvd will be breathing a sigh of relief to be rid of some of the excess traffic.

Geoff (calibanX):  Thanks for the compliments on the construction and the network focus!  I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'll be sure to watch out for road rage.  Just have to make sure things don't get congested (which, as you'll see, they do get quite congested in Los Endos). ;)

just_a_guy:  Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the whole construction end of things and the interchange!

Guillaume (Sciurus):  Hehe . . . I'm never fully satisfied with my transit networks and I can't help but to tear things up and rebuild them.  That's where I get most of my enjoyment in SC4!  Thanks for the kind words!

First of all, here's a map of the general vicinity. 

You'll notice 3 different highways run through the vicinity: Highway 283, which runs through downtown, Highway 89, which runs on the east side of the river, having crossed it just south of Wakeman, and Highway 32, a major east-west route that skirts the south side of Squire.

Overview of town (facing north)

Here's a pic from downtown (facing north) at the intersection of C Street ("the main drag") and 3rd Street.

A couple of pics from the residential areas on the south end of town (facing north).

This is where C Way curves and becomes 7th Street.

And where 7th Street curves on the way out of town.

This image here is at Schindleria Junction, where Highway 283 has its southern terminus with Highway 32.  There is a little bit of industrial development here, as well as some agricultural land that is watered by the Bruford River.

On the opposite end of town, here is where Highway 283 curves out of downtown and crosses a small creek. (facing north)  As you can see, the speed limit is 30mph over the bridge.

This is the far northern end of town, at the Highway 283/Squire Ridge Road intersection.  What you'd typically expect to see on the outskirts of a mid-sized desert town.

And finally, a mosaic of downtown Squire.

And that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities . . . the next update will be the 50th update (not including teasers).  Hopefully, it won't be too long a wait until then. :)

Also . . . you may notice the desert terrain I'm using looks slightly different.  I've been experimenting with improving my custom Wasco Terrain Mod, particularly on the low end.  I'm quite happy with how it's turned out thus far.

-Alex

Ryan B.

What?  An update with no orange barrels anywhere to be seen?  I'm surprised.   :P

That looks just like a rural downtown should.  Nice work!

Pat

Alex sinmply wonderful!!!! this is a real great update here and I can't wait till the next and the 50th update!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

superhands

great update Alex. i especially like the way 7th Street/the main road, curves through the town up to the bridge :thumbsup:
looking forward to update 50 $%Grinno$%

Dave

metarvo

Alex, are you teasing us with the SPM in the 6th pic?  Anyway, this is a very nice town.  The heavy use of SAM-7 asphalt streets adds a unique feel to this update.  I also notice the relative lack of traffic lights, which is somewhat representative of many small towns. 

On a side note, I see yet another Burger King with no McDonald's, so it seems like the old monopoly is still going strong in TC, this time with no other fast food restaurants visible.  ::)  Then again, I guess one burger place is enough in the typical small town.  :)

Keep up the good work, Alex!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

bakerton

Well Alex, I just love that small little town as I love building them, but with tons of farmland around. Do you mind if I can move there Alex? Anyway, what an awesome update that features no construction for now. Keep it coming Alex. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Simpson

Wow, Alex !!  :) The first picture is really incredible  &apls also the city is superb, your terrain mod is looking nice  :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to the update 50 !!

Take care my friend,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

Alex, first of all, I'm very sorry that I've forgot to replies here my friend.

I want to let you know that this area looks excellent, and is very realistic with these row home. The general shot make that city looking a pleasant place to be.

Looking forward to more.

Take Care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Sciurus

Oh, THAT IS an amercian city! $%Grinno$% Why I say that? Because all houses (or nearly) are the sames :D. But it's beauitful regardless :thumbsup:

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tarkus

Well, I'm back with the 50th "official" update . . . and I have a special treat for you all this time . . .

But first, replies:

Ryan B.:  Yes, it is a little surprise to not see the construction.  Felt like it might be kind of nice to take a little diversion for once.  And thanks for the compliments on the downtown!  That was exactly what I was shooting for.

Pat:  Thanks for the kind words--hope you enjoy this new update as well!

Dave (bighead99):  Thanks!  I'm glad you liked the curvature of the main road through town there as well--I was aiming to emulate a few RL small towns in Central/Eastern Oregon that are a lot like that.  Hope you enjoy update 50!

metarvo:  Thanks, and yes, indeed, I am teasing with the SPM a bit.  You'll notice quite a bit of it in this update as well.  I'm a big fan of the SAM Asphalt Streets, too.  Good point on the Burger King thing, too.  I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.  :D  Wakeman to the north, if I recall correctly, has no Burger Kings, but one McDonald's and one Wendy's, so it balances out.

Jon (bakerton):  Thanks for the compliments on the town--I enjoy building them as well, and I've actually got a few other smaller towns that I haven't shown yet that I probably should.  And by all means, you are more than welcome to move to Squire.  I wouldn't mind living there myself either--I think it'd be a fun commute between Squire and Wakeman through the gorge there.

David (Simpson):  Thank you so much for the kind words, and for the positive feedback on the terrain mod, especially. :)  I'm hoping to get an "official" version compiled here at some point.

Arthur (art128):  Hey, no need to apologize. ;)  Thanks for the compliments--I'm glad you enjoyed the town, and hope you enjoy this latest installment!

Guillaume (Sciurus):  LOL, what can I say--we're minimalists. :D  Thanks for the kind words!

And now for the aforementioned treat . . . the first-ever Tarkusian Video.  It's kind of a semi-aerial flyover of some of the roads in eastern Los Endos around the Tartan and Foothill areas.

http://www.youtube.com/v/sFwtaMHTPAo

The map again, for convenience--see if you can figure out the route.

And our next commenter here will hit the magic #800 . . . and will get "on the map".  Thank you all for your continued support . . . we're fast approaching two years of Tarkusian Cities, amazingly.

-Alex