• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Santa Barbara County - Update: The End.

Started by RickD, March 12, 2010, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citybuilderx

This MD is great. I love it when you follow a route, as it shows the location change aswell. Keep it up! &apls
Aim for the stars and you might make the moon,
aim for the moon and you might not get there.

Battlecat

Great work on that downtown.  Sorry you've got to hit the delete key, but it'll be interesting to see you rebuild!

Nardo69

Yes is a pity. Sometimes on the first try the best developement can be achievened and no matter how hard you try you cannot recreate it anymore - unless you let your mind open for new ideas. Then the second or even third try can be really delightful.

Having made the same experience I fell with you. These things are one of the hardest things a SC$player can do.

Viel Glück!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

canyonjumper

Nice pics! It's unfortunate that you've got to delete the tile, but hopefully you can rebuild it to the same awesomeness ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

RickD

Replies:

ldvger:
Thank you for the sound answer. I studied Santa Barbara on Google Earth but strangely enough I never really noticed the islands. Maybe I will expand the region one day to include them.

iGod:
Thanks, glad you like it.

kwakelaar:
Thanks for your sympathy. I will continue my MD. I found out that it is fun wo write this.

citybuilderx:
Glad you like it. I try to let my readers know where things happen. But sooner or later I will have to learn how to make decent maps to keep an overview.

Battlecat:
I will show the detailed process of reconstruction in a series of updates soon.

Nardo69:
Hmm, I think I will stick pretty close to the original layout of the tile. It did several big rebuilding projects on it already everytime i got better ideas. I think this is what triggered the Pox. All the destruction and rebuilding of large parts of the tile.

canyonjumper:
Thanks, I'll do my best. :)

All:
From now on many of my pics are clickable for full size.

In todays update we will take a look at some road improvement projects the Transportation Division of the Santa Barbara Public Works Department  and Caltrans did in the following tile northwest of downtown.

The highway on the top of the picture is Hollister Avenue which parallels I-5. The problem here is that people try to shortcut through the residential streets when the road is congested. This is a major annoyance for the residents. The city has to take action.

The easiest solution is to block parts of the streets for cars. Bollards are installed and only pedestrians and bicycles are allowed to pass.

Only a bit to the east there is the same problem. Instead of staying on Hollister Avenue. many people drive on the marked local street.

The solution is the same. Blocking out car traffic.

Several more of those reworks where done. Now the residents have their quiet side streets back. But there is one drawback. Traffic on Hollister Avenue is even worse. All the cars that were shortcutting through the streets are now back on the highway. Unfortunately there is no budet for widening the road, yet.

The only improvement that can be made at the moment is the installation of traffic lights and turning lanes at the intersection of Hollister Avenue and Las Palmas Drive.

Another set of traffic lights was installed at the intersection of Hollister Ave. (from the bottom) and Las Positas Rd. (from left to right). A roundabout was discussed but dismissed. It would not work well here because a great amount of traffic is turning left (the interstate is only a bit to the left of the pic).

One of the bigger projects this fiscal year was the improvement of Northridge Road. The only access road to this small subdivision in the hills. As you can see it is over capacity.

The first stretch is easy to build. Here is the upgraded road along Bayview Nursing Home.

It gets more interesting here. The cheap solution would be to improve the existing streets through the residential area. But this would be a major inconvenience for the residents. So it was decided to build a new bypass road.

After only a few month of construction time the new road was opened to traffic. The mayor was pleased to announce that the budget was met.

The other major projects were the imrovement of some stretches of road in the northeast corner of the tile. The roads between the markings were normal streets before. The highway running left to right in the picture is Turnpike Road.

Two new traffic lights were installed at East Turnpike road. This is another small step in upgrading the road to an expressway.

But there is still much to do before this dream will become reality. Only a few hundred yards to the west, Turnpike road transitions to a 2 lane road and stays like that for most part. It will have to be widened sooner or later.

Turnpike Road is not the only expressways project that is on the backburner due to funding problems. Here you see Charles Francis Harper Expressway ending in the middle of nowhere. CFH Expwy is supposed to be one of the major bypasses for I-5 once it is finished.

Ok, this update was yet another fit of roadgeekery on my side. Hope you liked it anyway. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

canyonjumper

Roadgeekery is my favourite ;D. Interesting solution to the Hollister Avenue problem. I wouldn't have thought of that. Great update!

-Jordan :thumbsup:

Nexis4Jersey

very nice updates , i like your highways and light rail.

RickD

Replies:

canyonjumper, Nexis4Jersey:
Thanks for stopping by, guys.

East Beach

For this update I downloaded some beach sets. I am still not entirely happy about the variety, though. There is too much repetition in props for my taste (especially the blue blanket). If you have any suggestions for beach related downloads that I may have missed I would be happy to hear about them.

Oh, and I switched to rivit's coastal mod. It allows countless combinations of different offshore, foreshore and inshore textures.

Most of the Regions coastline consists of rocky beaches and steep cliffs. There is only one major stretch of nice sand beach. It stretches from the CBD to the eastern suburbs. It is constantly endangered by erosion so the city invests a significant amount of money into coastal protection. But it is worth the money because tourism is one of the region's major businesses and generates big tax revenue.

There are many activities offered for the whole family. You can do sports (surfing, sailing, volleyball, diving, ...) or just relax in the sun and go swimming. Snack Bars offer affordable food directly at the beach and many fancy restaurants are within walking distance. Parents that need some alone time can drop off their kids at one of the two child care facilities where they will enjoy an exciting day with other kids under the supervision of professional child care workers.
For your safety the beach is patrolled by lifeguards and even a special police unit.

In this update I will show you around East beach, the eastern part (hence the name) of Santa Barbara Beach. It is conveniently accessible by car and light rail. From the CBD, just take the  eastbound "A"-Train and get off at one of the two stations directly at the beach.

This is where East Beach begins. You wonder where the water from the culvert comes from? You'll see in the next picture.

This river originates in the foothills and is channelized through the suburbs. Here it has been put underground for a short stretch before it meets the ocean.

Four fancy Art Deco Hotel buildings. This stretch of beach belongs to the hotels. The blankets are neatly arranged in file and have to be reserved in advance.
I would prefer to have sun beds here instead of the blue blankets but I could not find any. If you know of anything better, please let me know.

At night the hotels are lit in different colors.

Of course there are other hotels at the beach.

This is the Surfside Inn.

In the foreground is the new luxury hotel tower that will be opened in only a few weeks. In the background is the good ol Days Inn.

And finally the Courtyard Mariott.

The hotel area at night.

A Beach Volleyball court. Official tournaments take place here.

The pier. This is a great place for fishing.
I would love to show you the whole pier. But there is a big, ugly no road acces Zot on it and I don't know how to get rid of it. When using the tastyzots cheat the waterbug strikes and the beach looks all weird. If you do not mind the Zot then proceed to the picture on your own risk by clicking here.

At night the area around the pier is a famous spot for wild parties. This is inofficially tolerated by the authorities while on the rest of the beach strict no open fire, no loud music and no excessive drinking rules are enforced. Allowing the party crowd to assemble in one spot keeps them away from the rest of the beach and it is easier for the police to keep an eye on them.

Sunday evening at the beach.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you like it or not.  ;)
My name is Raphael.

ecoba

I love it, Raphael. I really like Rivit's mod in this setting (thinking about getting it myself, sooner or later...) You've certainly got a variety of hotel and store lots that make this area look wonderful. I also like all of the parking lots and the retaining walls.

The roadgeek update that you showed us two days ago was also very nice. I like the improvements in the local road network that you show us, feels like as you're showcasing the overall region, you're also showing us how it grows at the same time.  :)

Ethan

ldvger

Raphael-

Your updates and pics are always so evocative to me of my years growing up in SB, you never fail to trigger all kinds of memories.  And, I am always tempted to run over to Google Earth and capture a bunch of screen shots of the RL area you showcase and post them here, so show both the manner in which you are developing your version both differently and, in many ways, very much the same.

SB's beach is indeed divided into East Beach and West Beach, with The Pier at the end of State Street being the dividing line between the two beaches.  To the east of East Beach is a fairly large promontory and cliff which protects the beaches and harbor (and marina...don't forget the marina!) from the southward flow of waves and storms.  In the lee of that cliff the waves curl in towards shore very nicely and it's a favorite surfer spot.  Just west of the cliff and still on the much higher land is Santa Barbara City College, overlooking the shore and sea.  It's a hard place to go to school and be a diligent student, with the sunbaked beach such a short walk away!  I should know, because when I was (briefly) a student there, I spent many a day on the beach rather than in class.  Just across the street from the beach and below the college is La Playa Stadium, which was the largest football stadium in the area until UCSB was built.  Back in the day, there were only 2 high schools in SB and the rivarly between them was very fierce.  The annual football game betwen the two schools was always held at La Playa, as my school, San Marcos High School, didn't even have a stadium and the stadium at Santa Barbara High School was too small for the crowd the cross-town rivarly game drew.  When I was a senior in high school, the annual game moved out to the UCSB stadium.

There is a long and wide sidewalk promenade that runs almost the entire length of both East and West Beach.  On weekends for most of the year, there is an Art Show set up along the promenade, with local artists and crafters selling thier works in little stalls all along the sidewalk.  There is a fairly wide lawn area between the promenade and the beach itself, scattered with picnic tables and bar-b-que stands, before the actual sandy beach begins.  There used to be a rather large group of folk dancers that danced on the West Beach side of the lawn every weekend, but I don't know if they still do or not.  The waterfront has changed a lot since the years I lived there.

Back then, there were few hotels and most were small, two, maybe 3 stories tall at most.  There are still a lot of motels between Hwy 101 and the beaches and none of the newer and bigger hotels are actually on the beach itself, they are all across the street.  Most of that land was empty fields when I was growing up there...or old and abandoned industrial. 

This last summer my nephew got married on West Beach...it's a popular destination for weddings, very scenic if you don't mind the oil platforms on the horizon out to sea.  The sand of the beaches is not blonde, either, but is actually a medium brown, due in part to the oil that naturally seeps up out of the ocean floor in the channel between the mainland and the Channel Islands.  Niether of the beaches are recommended for barefoot walking, as the oil congeals in the ocean into thick tarry globs and then washes up on the beaches.  The only thing that gets it off the bottoms of your feet (or snadals) is gasoline.  The oil was on the beaches long before the drilling platforms showed up, though...that's why the platforms are there. 

Every year there is an unofficial ceremony that takes place along the beaches...the Grunion Run.  Some folks actually are serious about staying up until 3 am to catch the little fish that flop onshore to lay thier eggs, but my memories of the Grunion Run is that it's really just an excuse to make a bonfire on the beach and party all night long.  Fireworks are shot off shore and near La Playa Stadium at 4th of July every year and that's another time when the beach is loaded with bonfires and partyers.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the beach is pretty much off-limits after dark.  There were a series of very grisly murders committed on West Beach back in the 60's that kinda put a squash on night-time beach walking.  But I remember that during storms we used to go out and walk along the breakwater that closes the marina off from the rest of the ocean.  We'd get soaked from the waves splashing up and crashing into the rocks, but there is a large sandspit at the end of the breakwater and it's a nice quiet part of the beach to visit.  FYI, the SB marina, as a human construct, is constantly battleing sand that the waves puch down from the north and around the end of the breakwater...the channel into the marina has a permanently moored dredging machine pumping sand out.  Years ago I saw a program on TV about wave dynamics and the SB marina and breakwaters was used as an example of how and where NOT to build a marina! 

You make me homesick for SB, which doesn't happen very often.  As beautiful as it is, it's not really a very good place to live unless you have LOTS of money...and we didn't.  There really isn't that much industry other than tourism, so jobs are few and usually don't pay much.  Homes and rents are very, very expensive, so the disparity between the rich and the poor is very wide and very strong. 

But it is very pretty and the weather is very good. 

Lora/LD

kwakelaar

Nice work on your beach area, I am quite certain there are more beach props out there, but I can really not recall who made them. Sorry, I can't help you any further.

citybuilderx

Aim for the stars and you might make the moon,
aim for the moon and you might not get there.

canyonjumper

Looking great Rick! I don't have alot to say (unlike Laura ;D) but I can say that this MD is well though out, and well executed (inspite of the prop pox), and I will be reading  for a while yet  &apls

Your friend,
                                       Jordan

rooker1

It gives me great pleasure to move your MD to OSITM .
Great MD, great pics....I think this will be a great month following your MD.
&apls

Congratulations from myself and The SC4D Staff.
Call me Robin, please.

Nardo69

Nice beach. I do like the Tramway that connects the beach!  ()stsfd()

The four Art Deco next to each other is a great example for nice repetitive buildings! For the beach props, why don't you have a look at our way too early died friend Suico's Copacabana Beach Set (Linkie1, Linkie2)? Quite old but still my favorite!

And:

Congratulation for being Of Special Interest This Month!  &apls

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

dedgren

Excellent!  Raphael, every time I look in here I see something that really leaves me impressed.  It's about time we had a "California coast" MD, and you've done a great job catching the ambiance.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Tarkus

Raphael, this is my first time stopping by here . . . and I am absolutely floored by what you've done here with this MD.  I immensely enjoyed the roadgeekery you've put in, and I think you've done a great job getting that "California" feel to things.  Your region looks just absolutely gorgeous, not to mention very realistic.

Congratulations on the OSITM, too . . . it is most certainly well-earned! :thumbsup:

-Alex

ecoba

Congragulations, Raphael. You really did earn a spot in OSITM, you've worked very hard to give us an excellent MD to enjoy.  :)

Ethan

RickD

Oh, wow. This came totally unexpected. I haven't even prepared a speech. ;) So let me just thank Maxis for creating this wonderful game, the OSITM committee for this great honor, my mother for being my mother ,and most importantly all of you who read and enjoy my MD. I have some updates in the works that I hope are worthy for the OSITM.

From now on the replies to the comments will be at the end of each update. This is not to debase your comments. I appreciate them very much. But I just feel like the pictures are the most important part of an MD. Without pictures there would be no reason to comment, right?

Ok, let's get started.

Into the wild

Santa Barbara County is not only the big city and suburban sprawl you saw in the last updates. In fact, urban development is mainly limited to the southern half of the region. The northeast of Santa Barbara county is a part of the Los Padres National Forest. In this update we will make a road trip (sorry, can't help it ;) ) into the forest.

Our trip starts in the early morning at this crossing of two rural roads. We are already high up in the mountains. We will not drive over the covered bridge here. Maybe in another update. Today we will follow the road in the opposite direction. Our destination is Gibraltar lake further up in the hills.

The road sneaks through the Santa Ynez River valley. There are usage restrictions in effect here. A National Forest Adventure Pass is required to drive on this road and may be obtained from local merchants, visitor centers, or online.

A covered bridge takes the road over Santa Ynez River. The dirt road leads around the other side of the lake where several cabins are located. We will see them later.

A forest road leads into the woods with a small parking space. A pile of gravel and machinery has been delivered here to repair the road after heavy rainfall.
The forest roads are important for the forest rangers and firefighters to access the woods. Commercial logging is prohibited in the national forest but some trees have to be taken down to keep the wood healthy.

The forest roads are maintained by the U.S. Forest Service. Only USFS vehicles are allowed to drive here. But they are open and very popular for hiking as they are ususally comfortable to walk on and well signposted.

A river bend. The water is very shallow here.

A rockslide next to the road.

The road follows the north shore around Gibraltar lake. A small stream is coming from the mountains and flows into the lake.
In reality Gibraltar Reservoir, impounded by Gibraltar Dam, is one of three reservoirs on Santa Ynez River. It supplies water to the City of Santa Barbara via the Santa Barbara Water tunnel under the Santa Ynez Mountains.

Rock slide area ahead! No stopping next 1/4 mile.

On the oppsite side of the lake are some cabins. You have to be a real outdoorsman to rent one of those because this is far away from civilization here. They are not accessible by car, there is no electricity, no phone (not even cell phones work here), no running water. You have to chop your own firewood and it is almost 20 miles to the next convenience store. The forest ranger visits twice a week to check if everything is allright.
The cabins are very popular with fishermen, hunters and authors with a writer's block. Several horror movies have been filmed here. The creepy atmosphere when the early morning mist covers the sea is an ideal setting.

Some more cabins.

The boat house. Once there was a small shop and bar here. But it closed when the owner died and no successor was found. It is a hard and secluded life here in the wilderness.

A few hiking trails lead even further into the mountains. But be careful, it is easy to get lost here and there are wild animals out there. Survival equipment, including a signal pistol in case you need help is strongly recommended. It is also advisable to let the forest ranger know if you plan a trip so that he can look for you if you do not return at the expected time.

An overview of the lake.

This is it for today. It is getting late and the sun will soon vanish behind the mountains leaving nothing but darkness and the infinite, starry sky above the lake.

Thank you for your attention and for commenting!

This is not a recreation of the actual Santa Barbara.
Most images clickable for full-size (~1.5 Mb per pic)!

Replies:

ecoba:
Thanks my friend. I have already built a big portion that I want to show. But there is much space left for development. And I keep on playing. You can sometimes spot my progress on the region views I post. ;)

ldvger:
I spend much time in google earth looking at the region and I have read almost everything on wikipedia about it. However, it is still my fantasy region. I also talked to people from Santa Barbara and heard about the high rents and that it is mainly a a place for the rich people.

I do not mind you posting images from Santa Barbara here if you want. It is very interesting to read your stories about SB and I probably will pick up some of it and integrate it in my MD. :)

kwakelaar:
Glad you like it. :)

citybuilderx:
Thanks man.

canyonjumper:
Don't worry you don't have to write a lot. It is good to know you are reading.

rooker1:
Wow, thank you so much. It is a great honor for me.

Nardo69:
I hoped you'd like the Tram. The railway update is still in the works. ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, this is very close to what I wanted. I'll have to revisit the beach someday.

dedgren:
This is quite a compliment coming from you. Thank you, David.

Tarkus:
Cool you like it. I am eagerly waiting for your new projects to be released. I have so many roads waiting to be upgraded with RHW 4.0, Tuleps and NWM. But don't rush it, I will be patient until it all works.

ecoba:
Thank you. I am very excited about my first OSITM.
My name is Raphael.

scott1964