• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

thundercrack83: thankyou very much, mate. Rural areas are my favourite but sooner or later the region will need a few high density areas. Padstow Quays which I am working on at the moment is certainly not rural but I try to include a little bit of green where I can, especially between industrial areas and the rest of town. I'll have some pic's in a couple of days, I wasn't happy with it's initial look and I am doing some modifying. Thanks for dropping by again.

bat: hi again and thankyou for the comments. Glad you enjoy.

Jmouse: Jeez, where do I start. Firstly thanks for dropping by and appreciate the comments. Populations figures, not a problem and I can include these at the beginning of each update or two. As for RCI, I agree generally but I like my regions big and will end up with purely industrial areas, especially port precincts, and commercial areas (although if they are mainly commercial they will be on a small tile).

I have no real trouble with avenues and highways. The trick is to make them the quickest and easiest way to commute to another part of the city or another tile. Sims don't seem to care if the shortest route is a street (or is that a road -whatever has the lowest capacity), so you can have as many avenues or hwys connecting A to B as you want, but if there is a shorter route, the sims will use this which can result in some amazing traffic jams. The problem is, if you have planned badly you won't see it until the area has developed and to adjust your road network can result in catastrophic changes.

I also only connect my medium and larger tiles with avenues and highways, which you will see once my region grows a little more and I include some region views.

I'll include some traffic congestion overlays, now and then to show how things are going.

But I think it's time I shut up, that's the biggest reply I've made here or elsewhere and my fingers are becoming hoarse.

Pictorial update Saturday.

By the way, the above is my interpretation of how traffic seems to flow in SC4. If anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, feel free to comment.

Cheers

Dave

WOO HOO, PAGE 2

Jmouse

And a fine reply it is, Dave. You can bet I'll be following this MD closely, although I'd do it anyway just to enjoy the lovely photos!
Thanks,
Joan

Snaper

Quote from: tooheys on June 05, 2007, 04:50:36 AM
Snaper: I'm not sure what a ruddy area look's like, but I'm hoping it's good. :D.

:D It was a good comment, in french, is "C'est très vert, beaucoup d'arbre", it's what I wanted to say  ;D

Great update, it's very beautiful  :thumbsup:

MsD

First time visiting your MD!   :thumbsup: &apls :thumbsup: &apls

I love the Mayor's weekend retreat.  That is a very beautiful setup.  Totally awesome!!  (whoa, flashback there, sorry)
To hate is human, to forgive and to love is devine.

Please visit my website.
Please visit my MD
Valley of the Gods

Russell

Just like MsD, I love the mayor's weekend retreat. Great update.  :thumbsup:

urban

again, everything looks fantastic. though I would think about a new terrain mod, those maxis cliffs aren't the nicest ;)

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

tooheys

Replies

Jmouse: Joan, I've included some pic's and info in this update that you may find of interest. Hope you enjoy.

Snaper: Thank's Snaper, this update is not very rural but there will be more farms coming up soon.

Russell & MsD: Appreciate the comments. The mayor only uses his retreat on weekend's so feel free to use
it during the week, I won't tell anyone.

urban: Thanks for the suggestion. I always need some prompting to fix the obvious, it took me ages to load
a water mod, and then only because of a comment in a previous CJ. I have tested a couple of terrain mods so far,
the one I'm using at the moment looks OK, I think. If you have a favourite, let me know and I'll have a look.

Balnavia

A few people have made some queries about a regional view. I have provided a couple of views below, but remember,
I terraform as I go so don't expect to see a completed regional map. I have shown the site of the proposed Metropolis
but this won't come into being for some time. My priority at this stage is the surrounding areas.

Current population

R                          C                 I
Panania                 3,550             1,159            1,922
Revesby                7,678             1,487            4,154
Padstow Quays    21,838             5,893            4,458
Riverwood                   0                   0           1,107

33,066            8,539         11,641

Padstow Quays

Padstow Quays is mainly a residential and commercial area, with just a touch of industrial for
those who like to get their hands dirty.

You might begin to notice that a certain Korean Cement company has a presence in most towns. It was agreed
that the company would have exclusive supply rights throughout the region. In exchange they pay heaps of
taxes ( hey, it's a cheat, but it's all in support of free trade.). Anyway, we think it's cement, nobody can
read Korean.

There is many a waterfront property around the shores of the quay, most of which are quiet exclusive.
A bike trail runs around the entire shoreline. Constructed by the local council to promote both personal
fitness and tourism, it is now considered a dangerous place to jog or ride. Not because of crime, but
because of the upper class in their motorised carts, they don't stop for anyone.

Here's a local tourist precinct. Lot's to do here, shopping, swimming, mini golf. Plenty of things for
the kids and wives to do while you go to the pub (for the female members, only kidding. For the
males who can escape, I'll meet you at the pub). And if you work up a hunger, there's always
Kentucky Ducky across the road.

The local hospital has a capacity greater than the entire population. As result one wing has been
turned into a hotel. It has been known for a guest or two to come home drunk, turn down the
wrong hallway and wake up in the morning missing a bit or two.

I promised Joan some traffic info. With a population of 22k, there's no real problems so far. A couple
of side streets are showing some congestion but nothing to worry about. The avenues and hwy's are
minimising the load on the roads and streets.

So that's one more update. Thankyou all for the support so far  ;D. Please feel free to make any suggestions
or comments.

Cheers

Dave

pipishere

A really, really nice MD you have here. I can see you put a lot of effort into making everything look great. I'll be popping back for this one.  :)

Jmouse

Good morning Dave. Your updates are so thorough and well-planned, unlike some which seem a bit thrown together.
Thanks so much for including the traffic and population data. It looks like your transport system is working just fine and hopefully will continue to do so.
One last note: When I first saw the quay in the raw terraformed state, I didn't think I'd like it, but you've done wonders with the idea. I'd never have visualized such a scenic spot emerging.
Looking forward to more, and enjoying your sense of humor, too  :D!

Joan

MsD

In the picture below, the four round towers that look like grain elevators, is that the cement factory you were talking about?  If so, is it in the LEX or some place else?
Quote from: tooheys on June 09, 2007, 03:45:57 AM

Also, in your pics of your water ways, where the ground slope meets the water.  What are you using there?

Thank you for allowing me a chance to stay at the Mayors Retreat.  LOL

Another great update.  Very detailed, with great stats.

Thank you.
To hate is human, to forgive and to love is devine.

Please visit my website.
Please visit my MD
Valley of the Gods

thundercrack83

Padstow Quays looks fantastic, Dave! I love the sunken highway system you have and the residential areas are beautiful! Like MsD, I'm also curious about where you found those Korean cement towers. I've seen them in several different MDs and have been wondering where I can get my hands on them. Great update, I'll be anticipating the next one!

tooheys

Replies

pipishere: Thanks for the comment. Glad you dropped by.

Jmouse: Hey, you didn't think you'd like it, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I had no real plans
and no idea how things would fit together, thankfully it worked out all right. It's fun jumping in the
deep end. Hope the stats were useful, feel free to ask anything, well, nothing too personal.

Msd: Spot on, that is the cement factory. It is available on the STEX (Aigo Cement Storage Tanks). As I
mentioned in the last update, this are a bit of a cheat as they pay you about $8k per month in taxes. In regards
to the shoreline effects, I would guess this is a result of the water mod I use (PEG's Brigantine Water Mod - also
on the STEX). Thanks for the comments.

thundercrack83: Dustin, appreciate the comments. Refer my reply to Msd for the cement factory.

Padstow Quays

The residential population of Padstow Quays has now grown to 43,000.

Some areas around the quay are still a mix of classes. Regardless, all enjoy using the local swimming pool.
A popular game of those in the upper levels of the surrounding high-rises is to throw a chocolate bar into the pool and
see how long it takes for it to clear. The record is 17 seconds.

Oops, I left two tiles unimproved.

The area of Padstow Quays is built upon land once owned by Jonothan R Padstow. Now a millionaire, his corporate
headquarters reflects an early 1900's theme, in memory of his parents who made an absolute fortune selling bread
during the Great Depression.

The Padstow Mansion is said to be the most majestic in the region, although you would be lucky to catch a glimpse
as you drove by. It is said that Padstow has no interest or influence with local politics. The lack of
high-rises nearby is purely a coincidence.

All rise, the Padstow Quays courthouse is now in business, literally. $500 will get you probation, $5,000 a hung jury, $10,000
a not guilt verdict and $20,000 a cell with Paris.

43,000 sims and the road system is still holding up reasonably well. However, I must admit, things did get a
bit rough there for a while and I installed a subway system to relive a few pressure points.

Well, that's one more update, 5 down, many more to come. Where to next, I'll tell you when we get there.

Until next time

Cheers

Dave

bat

Wonderful update, tooheys! Great pictures and beautiful work! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Dave, it's beautiful. So ... scenic!
I'm a bit surprised that you needed subways with a population under 50K. Where are they (and if you say "underground," you're toast :D!!)? That's another element I have no experience with. (I take rather a build tonight destroy tomorrow approach so I seldom get past the early growth stages. It's a bad habit but I'm trying to break it.)
Anyway, I love your unique approach and look forward to more. How many habitable cities are there in Balnavia?

Joan

pipishere

Quote from: tooheys on June 10, 2007, 03:37:38 AM

A popular game of those in the upper levels of the surrounding high-rises is to throw a chocolate bar into the pool and see how long it takes for it to clear. The record is 17 seconds.

Lol...ohh nothing like a late night chuckle! Lovely update indeed!

jacqulina

wow this is awesome work you have done,excellent rural &apls &apls

Russell

This is getting better and better by the update. I thoroughly enjoy it.  &apls

thundercrack83

The Quays are looking better and better as development progresses! Great job, Dave! And thanks for the heads-up on those cement storage tanks! I'm going to download them now!

tooheys

Replies

bat: thanks for dropping by again. Appreciate the comments.
pipishere: glad you like. Hopefully I can give you something to chuckle about every now and again.
jacqulina: I appreciate the visit and always welcome your comments
Russell: Thank's Russell, I hope I can keep it up.
thundercrack83: Thanks Dustin, glad I could help and good to see you dropping by.
Jmouse: Hi Joan, I haven't forgotten you. Firstly thanks for posting and I'm glad you're enjoying this MD.
I'm a little upset though, do you really think I would make a smart#### reply like that - yeah, I guess
I would. I'm more upset that you beat me to it :'(.

You're right, the population is a bit low for subways but I created one nasty bottleneck.

I had all these sims.....

......passing thru this piece of road......

....to get to work here. To redesign would have meant some significant changes, so it was easier to
install an underground system. You can see one of the stations in the first pic, the small green building
over 2 tiles, and in the third pic, the blue building of same design.

Here's a plan of the subway system. You can see that it is fairly well used which takes the pressure
off the roads.

At the moment there are 5 cities/towns in Balnavia, only four have residential areas so far. You have seen three, Panania,
Revesby and Padstow Quays. The 4th is Narwee, a small rural area, my next full update and which I will
post in a few hours.

This reply is almost an update in itself. Joan, hope this answers your questions and thanks again for dropping by.

Cheers

Dave

tooheys

Balnavia Update

Current population

R                         C                    I
Panania                 3,550              1,158            1,985
Revesby                7,091              1,433            4,146
Padstow Quays    43,335             16,586            3,751
Riverwood                   0                 641            6,705
Narwee                 1,178               1,138              314

55,154             20,956             16,901

Narwee

Narwee is a quiet little rural town, born from the population explosion experienced within the Panania farming community.

This small lake in the middle of town was once used for the swim leg of the local triathlon. However, when an unusually
large number of competitors in one race tested positive for growth hormones a new site was found. It was later discovered that
the lake was not to blame, but the size 22 chickens served at the Xmas party of the local athletic club some weeks earlier.

There is a small commercial district however most people work outside of town. The water tower sports a
few bullet holes from people turning up to work after the weekend with Mondayitis. Sometimes that
smiley face is just too much to bear

Here's a couple of brothers from downunder who have started up competing businesses.
Except for the colours, the equipment is identical. The guy on the left with the red
tractors is a Holden supporter, what a great guy. His brother next door with the blue gear
is a supporter of f..., fo.., for., sorry I just can't say it.

The guy making all the money has the largest lot. He sells both Holden and the other. Those
green machines are some Korean hybrid that run on raw sewerage. Great mileage but don't be
standing nearby when they backfire.

Thanks to all that have commented over the past couple of weeks, I really appreciate
the support. The next few updates will highlight some smaller areas like this, plus one
larger industrial area.

Until next time

Cheers

Dave