• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railyard textures for the Real Railway

Started by eggman121, December 26, 2014, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Great work IJ :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the positive comments on this thread. Work is keeping me busy but I am slowly but surely putting a rail texture Pack together for the RRW.

In addition as some of you may Know I have taken over the Working of the RRW which will surpass all the puzzle piece equivalents.

Here is my latest track work  ;D

If any member has an Idea for a track section I am all for you to show me and I will try to make a RRW equivalent.

Saying that I hope to make the RRW the main rail type from possibly NAM 34 on wards.

Thank you for all the interest in the projects I am helping out on.

Can't wait to see some of the new track in your cities!  $%Grinno$%

-eggman121 

Gugu3

carlfatal

Just wonderful work of both of you, Indiana Joe and eggman121!  &apls
But I agree with JoeST about the imperfect double-y in the upper section. This only would make sense, if there is a hump (and this maybe would need more place then we still have on a big tile... $%Grinno$%)

Quote from: Indiana Joe on September 01, 2015, 06:45:09 AM
That's fantastic if you want to update NCD's pack eggman!  There's way too many textures in that thing, I don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. (...) I understand why many people want the automatic conversion; so many lots already use those textures.

Not only too much texture parts, also NCD never finished the second set, that uses slim switches. I tried to build railyards with it, some of them you can see in my lost MD Waldey, another attempt was this one:

Compared with NCD´s railyards this one is just huge, although I only built a really small one. It´s counterpart in RL is somewhere near Ypsilanti,MI (and it isn´t a scale version, also not a complete copy of the original, cause it was made to match into it´s surrounding environment).

Now to my humble two cents:
I don´t think, that it would make sense to simply override NCD´s textures. On the last picture you can see why. If we want to use realistic switch ankles (right word?), these old railyards simply are outdated. I for my would prefer more realistic dimensions, and it may be some work to change lots (industrials and freight yards) using railyard textures, but it would look much better, if these lots would become overworked with better switches - although some of them would need to be made as new lots...

Also - the railyard on my pictures is made as one lot. NCD did something much more intelligent, when he made his set modular.

I am only doing lots until today, so I have really no clue, if it would be possible or useful to make railyards as puzzle pieces or draggable. But I would be happy to build with the new textures. For me RRW is THE revoluton in SimCity4.  :thumbsup:

mgb204

The thing about an override for the original textures is that a large number of lots exist which use NCDs textures, it's the defacto standard for railyards and sidings. Having to re-lot every single one in reality means many will remain unchanged (out of date), but worse still users who don't lot themselves will be stuck with mismatching lots. In the sense that it would enable lots of existing content to conform to the RRW standards, I'd personally prefer to see things done this way. Bear in mind also that if suitable replacement textures don't exist for a particular piece, it wouldn't be possible to update some lots either.

That said, the inherent problem here is that the RRW uses a different gauge so those old lots won't look perfect no matter what you do. I think some changes around the switches could probably happen without affecting existing lots too much, it's the sections where railcars and the like reside that need to line up similarly.

There is no real benefit to making railyards as puzzle pieces, in fact since you can't place MMPs or props on such pieces (OK, you could T21 them, but that's a whole can of worms there), you don't really end up with anything more than sidings.

Whatever happens, I'm sure there would be some railyards released to support RRW, but given that the number of people working on mods recently seems to be even smaller than ever, it's unlikely that would lead to the variety of lots that once were.

eggman121

Well I have been at work at updating some of NCD's textures to RRW Standards.

Alpha Phase results!  ;D

Some color correction (Hopefully there is a batch Script for that) and some aligning of the Rails as you can notice in the second picture.

So, Apart from the NCD textures, Are there any other texture packs out there??? %confuso

I know there are some texture packs for the orthogonal Rail texture that is used on some LOTs

So hopefully the RRW can become the standard of Rail for SC4  ;D For that to happen though there will need to be packs of textures that will blend in nicely with the current RRW textures. That will be key for that to happen!

-eggman121

mgb204

Excellent stuff, thanks for doing this the hard way, it's much more beneficial overall. Whilst I'm sure there are plenty of other rail textures out there, with NCD's packs covered I think there is no need to worry too much about further replacements. It covers most of the setups I think people could conceivably need.

eggman121

Thanks mgb204  :thumbsup:

I still have some work to do in this space and it was hard work to update the textures but my hope will be that there will be much for of an uptake for the RRW! Due to logistics I will only be focusing my efforts for the RRW as far as rail is concerned.

There are still some people at ST that want Flextrack to be made at the old standard. Well since the paths have to be adjusted that is not going to happen. So what is spurring me with this effort is to convert the unconverted to the RRW.

Making textures for already released LOTs should make for an easy change too the RRW.

-eggman121

FrankU

You are doing an excellent job Stephen!  &apls

romualdillo

I think I've never commented anything here, but I have to say the job you're doing is truly amazing!! Please never stop!!  &apls

vortext

That look fantastic!  &apls

WMP also has made quite a bit of rail textures for example which might be worth considering.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Simcoug

&apls
Excellent work Stephen!  There are a number of lots that I have been wanting to create (historic stockyard, for one), but the lack of RRW textures has dissuaded me.  Looks like that won't be a problem now  :thumbsup:

Rolin' rollin' rollin'... Keep them dogies rollin'...
Rawhide!

noahclem

Great work!! It'll be great to have all these lot textures available. Having as many of the old lot textures as possible updated will be great  :bnn:

Gugu3

Simmer2

Hi Stephen and thank you for replying on the NAM thread.
I have already been working with the 40 RRW overlay textures available here and I have already re-textured a few station/freight yards.
I'm hoping when you have a more comprehensive set that you will share it with us :) so that we can start the process before NAM34  ;D
You sir have done a fantastic job so far  &apls

Simmer 2
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Well even with the limited 40 RRW textures available the results are not too shabby.
I went ahead and re-lotted/texured a few rail yards.
I apologize for the poor presentation.

Simmer2

eggman121

Oh very nice Simmer2

Great results!

I don't know the exact rules but I think they are ok for personal use. Just don't upload them without the authors expressed permission!

I am aiming to avoid the re lotting issue by updating the texture packs. That way there won't be problems with re lotting the LOTs.

-eggman121

noahclem

Nice work  &apls. As Stephen mentioned, hopefully what you've is overwrite the textures instead of re-lot as it's much easier for other users to update that way--no need to download a bunch of modified lots and then re-plop them.

As for permissions, the only thing needed is for the RRW texture, which has been expressly given so you're good to go. While you have the right to distribute them yourself, it will be easier for users if we combine our rrw texture packs so people don't need to find a bunch of different ones.

eggman121

Ok

I now have been working on an update for the NCD texture pack. None of this would have been possible without Rivit's (Ron's) Texture Bender tool and GoFSH

So a big thankyou! to him  ()flower()

Ok here are the results

As you may notice, There are some textures that have not been created yet. These will be made for the final edition.

I hope to get these out..... soonish.

This is just one pack of many that I will be updating so stay tuned for more!

-eggman121