• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cloverstack Interchanges

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Section 11: Cloverstack Interchanges

The cloverstack interchange is a hybrid of Parclo and stack interchange designs. It provides free-flowing access from all directions making them ideal for four-way highway-to-highway junctions. While cloverstack designs vary from two-level to three-level junctions, they all follow basic standards. Two loop ramps are included mirroring each other to eliminate weaving and two flyover ramps are included along with four ground-based outer ramps.

The cloverstack was designed to provide the weaving-free assets of the stack interchange while reducing cost and the total number of "stacked" levels required.

When it comes to full highway exchanges in Simcity 4, the three-level cloverstack is among the best ways to hook up any two intersecting RHWs.
-With the release of RHW 4.1, the three-level cloverstack is able to become much more compact and thus more justifiable and practical. Cloverstacks made with previous releases are gargantuan to say the least.

The guides in this section will show how to build two and three level variants of this interchange in basic and complex ways.

11.1: Basic Two-level Cloverstack Interchange
11.2: Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange
11.3: Three-Level Cloverstack Interchange

Back to the Table of Contents

Haljackey

Section 11.1:  Basic Two-level Cloverstack interchange. (Created by Haljackey)

In this guide I will show you how to build a two-level cloverstack with a basic layout. I will also show how to compact this setup to make the interchange footprint smaller.

I will be using two RHW-4s for this guide with a 2 tile median. I feel this setup will make it easier to identify which directions the RHWs and the ramps are traveling. This gap also provides room for future RHW widening in the median.

Then it's time to build your overpass. The east-west RHW will overpass the north/shouth RHW in this guide. Plop your RHW-4 to El-RHW-4 "On" and "off" pieces next to the north/south RHW and drag the elevated segments to complete the span.

Construct two RHW-4 type "B" ramps on the north/south RHW immediately beyond the overpass. There should be a 0 tile gap. Use the drag method outlined in the video tutorial in the sticky post.

Do the same thing for the east-west RHW, except two tiles away from the start/end of the overpass like so:

The next step is a big one. It's time to complete the loop ramps, but you have to complete the loops a certain way to allow for flyover ramps to properly go over the loop ramps. Construct as shown.
-For a little extra help you can plop a pair of El-MIS starter pieces inside the loop's circumference. You can also drag these out further. You will need the elevated segment anyways so I recommend building it at the same time as your loop ramps.

Now it is time to build your FlexFly curves. Align the elevated 90 degree MIS curve with the elevated MIS stubs and plop them one tile beyond the loop ramps. The end result will look like this.

Plop 4 elevated MIS to MIS transitions as shown. Elevated to ground should take place immediately next to the north/south RHW while ground to elevated should take place one tile away from the loop ramp, allowing for MIS to run under it.
-Sorry if it's a little difficult to see, I'm using a new resolution for SC4 and resizing the photos makes them quite small.

Zoom in of the centre of the interchange. Go ahead and demolish the Flexfly helper pieces once you're sure everything is plopped correctly.

Drag your elevated MIS network to hook up with the curves and transitions. Congratulations, you're now done the hard part!  :D

Zoom in of the centre of the interchange.

Connections of the elevated sections to the RHW is now possible. Drag the MIS stubs from the ground to elevated transitions and curve them toward the north/south RHW. This will also set the stage for the outer connections.

Continue dragging diagonal MIS until you reach the east/west RHW. Drag MIS from your elevated to ground transitions to meet up with the diagonal MIS. Connect everything together with 4 RHW-4 type "B" ramps. (It doesn't matter if you drag or plop them this time).

To finish, you need to create your two remaining outer ramps. Simply drag RHW-2 as close to the Flex-fly curves as possible.

Then use 4 more RHW-4 type "B" ramps to connect these ramps with the RHWs. Redraw the network to override the RHW-2 and turn it into the MIS network.

...And your done! Congrats, you made a basic two-level cloverstack interchange!  :)

Additional Images

You can also make the interchange more compact by moving the outer ramps described in the last two steps of the guide inside of the flyover. Use RHW-4 type "A" ramps on the east/west RHW just beyond the elevated segment and plop RHW-4 type "B" ramps just before the elevated MIS on the north/south RHW.

Zoom out:

To further reduce the size of the interchange, you can make the other two outer ramps follow the contours of the interchange more closely.

Zoom out:

Haljackey

Section 11.2:  Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange. (Created by Death50)

Step one, place the RHW-6C Piece and drag it out.

Do not forget to delete the starter piece. Now place the bridges, make sure to leave a one tile gap away from the freeway.

Add the elevated ramp parts, keeping one space away from the freeway again.

Drag the bridge across the freeway, then add the freeway ramps. Leaving one space away from the bridge.

Drag the ramps under the bridges. Sometimes you'll get a glitch peice. Don't worry about it, we'll take care of that in the next step.

First, add the ramps going up from the ramps we just dragged under the bridge. Make sure they're off the starters. Then add the Flex Flys (FF) from the elevated ramps. You should have something that looks like the above picture.

Drag from the starter piece to go under the bridge, and extend some to the right.

Place a "S" curve piece next to the FF, just make sure it's not to close or you'll have to tear it all apart.

Add the ramp.

And add the ramp connecting to the piece you dragged under the bridge.

Fill in the gap between the ramps and the FF with a "Filler Piece."

Fill in the gaps between the FF's by draging them together, or add a "Filer Piece."

If done correctly, you should have something that looks like this right now.

Place a starter piece inside the FF loop.

Drag from the starter piece like this. Don't worry about it transforming, drag far enough and it will change.

Add the ramp piece and drag to it.

Drag the elevated ramp from the FF over the newly draged ramp.

Then place a downward ramp piece (off starter) and add a smooth curve piece.

Then drag from the curve piece to the highway and add the 2 to 3 ramp piece.

Then go back to the otherside of the starter piece and drag it under the FF. Then add the RHW-4 Wide Ramp.

Now you should have something like this.

Almost done! Drag from this ramp.

Add a smooth curve piece.

Then the 3 to 2 ramp piece to connect it, and this should be the end result. Now lean up the left over construction pieces.

Finished!!

Here it is with some simple add-ons as well as trees.

Haljackey

Section 11.3: Three-Level Cloverstack Interchange (Created by Haljackey)

When it comes to full highway exchanges in Simcity 4, the three-level cloverstack is among the best ways to hook up any two intersecting RHWs.

With the release of RHW 4.1, the three-level cloverstack is able to become much more compact and thus more justifiable and practical. Cloverstacks made with previous releases are gargantuan to say the least.

Although I will try to be as simplistic as possible, this will be my most complicated tutorial in the RHW Interchange guide to date. I hope you are all able to follow along! If not, please let me know where you are having trouble in the guide and I can explain those steps in greater detail.

Also, make sure you are familiar with filler puzzle pieces as they need to be used in this guide.

You will need hole digging lots for this guide. Using a slope mod is highly recommended as well. I will be using the RHW slope mod for this tutorial.

Let's start out simple. Drag some RHW. Make sure you delete the starter pieces.
-For this guide, I am using RHW-4 with a 0 tile median.

And here's where things get different. We are going to make our two MIS flyover ramps from the get-go. Getting the centre part done now will make the rest of the interchange easier to build. Plop diagonal-MIS over RHW-4 filler pieces just as shown. Be sure to rotate to make sure the lines meet up.
-If you encounter some alignment/lining errors, bulldoze the area and try again. This may require a some trial and error. That's why we're getting this step done first.  :P

Plot a course for your perpendicular RHW. Since the flyovers create a 3x2 rectangle in the centre, the interchange will not be completely symmetrical (unless you include a 1 time median for one of the RHWs or between the flyovers). Your RHW can run either to the north or south of centre. In this example I am routing it slightly south.
-Just use road stubs for now. This route will ultimately tunnel under the centre of the junction.
-Leave three tiles empty on either side of the north/south RHW.

Plop your MIS to elevated MIS transitions. Use the grid and/or road stubs to properly align your pieces as shown. Do not use the "starterless" versions.
-You don't need the "on" transitions yet... you can use a el-MIS starter piece in its place. I am using the transitions for the moment so it is easier to follow along.

Drag elevated MIS from the transitions towards the centre of the interchange like so. They will not fully connect, so don't worry about it for now.

Place diagonal MIS filler pieces to hook everything up. Again, be sure the lines match up for a proper connection.

Congratulations, you just built the flyover ramps!

Save your game. That way you won't lose all that hard work if Simcity suddenly crashes.

Delete your road stubs. Place hole digging lots 4 tiles away from the north/south RHW.
-For this example I am using hole diggers for avenue.

Drag avenue for one tile to activate the lots so they depress the ground.

Delete your hole digging lots. Drag avenue from one side to the other to create an avenue tunnel.
-If your elevated MIS glitches like shown, simply redraw the affected area.

Flatten the terrain around the tunnel to create a depressed section.

Place road stubs to extend the depression. You'll want a design as shown (4x2 rectangle followed by a mirrored 4x4 square.)

Delete all the stubs. Place RHW-4 starter pieces in the trench.

Delete all the starter piece tiles except those right next to the avenue.

Drag RHW-4 from the avenue towards the edge of the trench like so.

Create a mirrored pair of RHW-4 type "B" ramps in the trench using the drag method. (see sticky post video #1). In additon, delete your MIS to elevated MIS "on" pieces and place a road stub at the edge and line it up with the flyover ramps.
-Things are starting to get tricky now, eh?. Don't worry, I'll guide you through this as simply as I can.  $%Grinno$%

Create another mirrored pair of RHW-4 type "B" ramps on the north-south RHW as close to the centre of the interchange as possible. Again, use the drag method.
-Your RHW might start to hate you and become glitchy. Just ignore that for now, we'll fix it later.  ;)

Create the loop ramps. Try to make them as shown.

Now its time to plop the "real" MIS to elevated MIS "on" transitions. This time, use the "starterless" version so you can get as close as possible.
-If your elevated MIS starts to glitch like shown below, simply redraw the network to fix it.

Use elevated MIS over diagonal MIS fller pieces to finish the reconstruction of your flyovers. Once again make sure your lines match up. It may take a bit of trial and error.

Congrats! You have now completed the central part of the interchange. It's finally starting to come together, isn't it? :)

Save your game. This is a very intricate part of the junction and it would be sad to see it vanish if Simcity 4 suddenly crashed. Also, if you demolish a part of the interchange by mistake you can always exit and come back to this save point.

Two overpasses left to go. Create "on-slope" ground to elevated MIS transitions near the exits to the loop ramps. Demolish the road stub placeholder to place the elevated to ground on-slope transitions.

There will be one tile of empty space in the trench you built. Drag elevated MIS from the on-slope transition to cover this tile.

Now once again use elevated MIS over diagonal MIS filler pieces to complete the overpasses. Once again make sure the lines match up to create a proper connection.

Drag your RHW out of the trench. Plop a mirrored pair of RHW-4 type "Wide-A" ramps where your RHW reaches level terrain and connect it to the overpasses you just made. I know there are other ways you can connect the MIS to your RHW but I want to keep it simple for this tutorial.
-Sorry about the sidebar. :-[

Its now time to start making your outer ramps. Drag MIS from the stub time of the "Wide-A" ramp diagonally towards the north/south RHW.

You can now drag MIS towards the flyover ramps. Use MIS filler pieces to connect the "starterless" MIS to elevated MIS transitions with your MIS ramps.

You're almost done! It's time to create your last two outer ramps. Create a mirrored pair of RHW-4 type "B" ramps on the east-west RHW just before it slopes down into the trench.

Drag these ramps diagonally towards the north/south RHW. Finish off the interchange by plopping two more RHW-4 type "B" ramps where the diagonal MIS meets the RHW.

...And you're finally done! Give yourself a pat on the back. You've built a three-level coloverstack interchange! Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

Of course there are many ways you can modify this design to make it more realistic, such as adding smooth curves.

I hope you all enjoyed this guide and found it useful. I know it's quite long, but I'm hoping all those steps and images helped you follow along.

xannepan

&apls &apls Wow... these are all fantastic!

winndex221

On the Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange I am completely stuck at one part.  Tried a myriad of ways and it wont allow it.  This part right here seems impossible:  "And add the ramp connecting to the piece you dragged under the bridge"... 

When you try to put a ramp from the elevated curve here it will only let you use a starterless ramp.  And the ramp goes right up to the bridge.  Furthermore, if you drag the MIS under the bridge from either side and then try to place the ramp it will either A} not allow you to place it. or B}let you place it but the MIS under the bridge will turn into RHW2 and wont convert because the ramp is starterless. 

Anyone have any ideas?

joshua43214

Quote from: winndex221 on February 27, 2015, 11:12:34 PM
On the Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange I am completely stuck at one part.  Tried a myriad of ways and it wont allow it.  This part right here seems impossible:  "And add the ramp connecting to the piece you dragged under the bridge"... 

When you try to put a ramp from the elevated curve here it will only let you use a starterless ramp.  And the ramp goes right up to the bridge.  Furthermore, if you drag the MIS under the bridge from either side and then try to place the ramp it will either A} not allow you to place it. or B}let you place it but the MIS under the bridge will turn into RHW2 and wont convert because the ramp is starterless. 

Anyone have any ideas?

There seems to be some changes to the NAM ramps that cause this problem.
I went ahead and followed the tutorial step by step and encountered the same issue.

Here is how I solved the problem

Delete the FlexFly

Place a MIS starter and drag it over to the stub that comes under the bridge

plop a starterless MIS ramp directly on top of the MIS

delete the tiles shown, make sure you leave the ground level stub.

Now you can plop the FlexFLy right up against the ramp and continue building.

I went ahead and finished the interchange to make sure there was no other issues. Everything seemed fine, but I had to drop a MIS starter under one of the FF's for the ramps that are inside the loop.

Hope this helps

-Josh

winndex221

You are the man.   Can't wait to get home and try this.   Thanks a ton.

Nadlug

Quote from: Haljackey on May 07, 2012, 10:11:25 PM
Section 11.2:  Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange. (Created by Death50)

I know this is in response to a very old post but Im trying to do this exact interchange and its just not working. The off ramps wont convert to the proper lane type when they go under the overpass no matter what i do so the ramps leading up to the loops never convert either.

noahclem

Have you tried clicking around on the problem areas to see if that will sort out the overrides? Which version of the NAM are you using? There shouldn't be any problem with elevated RHW4 crossing 6 network tiles in a row like that but this is a very old tutorial and the components involved have changed a lot since 2012. Most notably, L1/7.5m RHW4 is now the "default" elevated RHW4 and will be a bit more stable and capable than L2/15m. Height transitions and flexflys also work differently/have a different footprint these days. If you could post a picture, hosted on a sight like photobucket or imgur, it would help to resolve your problem. Best of luck :)

b22rian

You guys are all using the NAM 33 pre- release version for these right ?

Just checking ,  :thumbsup:

Brian