• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battlecat

Superb update!  3.24 is particularly eye catching!

Jmouse

Here's a link to Diggis' tute. Hope you can get the CTD issue taken care of quickly, Noah.

Joan

Ninevah

Awesome MD! I especially love the roundabout at 3.28 and the tunnel at 3.10. I hope I'll be able to get some eye candies for my MD too. Did you made the tiny flower gardens on the grass tiles and the park walls?

Skimbo

Nice update!

3.23: good scenery
3.28: nice pond!
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

noahclem

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Tomas - Thanks again, I always appreciate you stopping by!

RickD - Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad I've offered enough variety to keep discerning minds interested ;) 

Elias (Terring7)
- Glad you're looking forward to this city's completion but it'll probably be a bit  ::)  I'm pretty meticulous in my city-building style and am somewhat prone to getting sidetracked.... What were we talking about again? Oh yeah! So anyway, I was also going to mention my impending return to the region's primary tile ;)

Joan (Jmouse) - I've really enjoyed (and looked forward to) your detailed and thoughtful comments here! :)  I do usually make a decent amount of pre-planning (as well as a bit of post-erasing followed by redoing ;) ), especially with trickiest network stuff like RHW and rail. After I come up with a plan for those things and eventually succeed in realizing the plan I fill in the less headache-causing material.

I'm also in love with simfox's trees and believe as you've suspected that they shouldn't impede safe views where they're placed in that junction. Glad you liked the overview stuff--it was a lot easier than than the map I made for Siilijoki! I do intend to expand that map system to Pohjanmaa eventually though.

The river road around the market place area (Palosaari Park as I've since named it) actually does contain a barrier, as do all Maxis retaining wall roads to the best of my knowledge. It doesn't really jump out at you but it's about half as high as a sidewalk is wide so it should be over waist-high.

I still haven't got intense about sorting out the Siilijoki tile CTD problem. I've gone through my plugins thoroughly looking for potential culprits and I did read both tutorials you posted in their entirety and certainly learned a few new things. I haven't actually tested a bunch of plugin changes on the city itself though because of the amount of time it takes. The biggest question I'm left with now is whether those tutorials are geared towards problems with all cities not running or problems with a specific city not running. Everything besides Siilijoki proper works fine and the same thing happened to the same tile a few months ago--I thought it was lost but ended up going through my plugins and figuring out it worked fine if I didn't have Glenni's brewery installed. I hope I resolve the issue soon too as I'm really starting to get the itch to go back there  &mmm

Ninevah - Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your visit! Those tiny flower gardens are part of the BSC park set available on the LEX. I use them probably too much because they visually function like walls and are slope-tolerant (which the BSC park walls are not, though they are also available on the LEX). A good chunk of the rest of park eye-candy is the Simfox trees that Jmouse mentioned earlier. Ask here or PM me if you are ever looking for more tips, I'm alway happy to help  :thumbsup:

Skimbo - Thanks a lot! I had fun playing with lighting effects for 3.23 and wanted a bit of nice-looking scenery for 3.28 instead of having too much of my interchange I worked so hard on surrounded by smoke and grime ;)  Hope to see you around here again, I've enjoyed your work a lot!

A bit of what I've been up to:

This scene was in the last update but I wanted to show it at night! I've made minor changes to the area since before--smoothed out the rail viaducts and switched around a few buildings. And in case you were wondering, no, I don't have a subway system I just like the way that overhanging Prisma Metro station fits in behind the viaduct!  $%Grinno$%

The serene beauty of water and earth meeting under the moonlight

Not sure if this picture lives up to it's caption but I like it--especially for my first attempt at a beach.

Ninevah

Thanks! I'll definitely use the park pack as I need more diversity in my town.

Tomas Neto

Wow, my friend..., fantastic night shot!!! Great!!!   &apls &apls

Jmouse

Good night shots, Noah. That looks like a fabulous beach you have there in 3.31. Any chance of seeing it in the daylight? And 3.30 isn't too shabby either (just making a little funny! :D ). Experienced BATters do some really awesome things with night lighting. I especially like the structure on the far left  just above center.

It's always a pleasure to stop by Siilijoki and see the attractive screen grabs you display. And BTW, I'm glad to know there's a barrier included in the retaining walls. Guess my question shows just how out of practice I am. &mmm

Good job on this one... :)
Joan

nbvc

sumwonyuno

Amazing!  I really like the urban areas!  Also, the plopped foliage and water is a nice touch.  Not all waterways are Maxis water or canals.  I do like how you've filled in the usually empty spaces between roadway tiles.   :thumbsup:

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

Skimbo

2 good night pics, first one is my favorite =)

Battlecat

As always, your recent updates are stunning!  Your region view is breathtaking, and you've got a great eye for details. 

Those night shots look great.  I'd also like to have a look at that beach during the daylight hours! 

Bill_Chen

Nice update! Hope there will be more nice work from you. :thumbsup:

My first MD here : The Urban construction diar

rooker1

A very interesting MD with lots of great pictures.....these are just a few reasons why we will be enjoying this MD in OSITM!  &apls

Congratulations from myself and The SC4D Staff :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Some really fantastic pictures there! Your city looks nice!

And Congratulations for the OSITM-award! :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Congratulations on your OSITM!   &apls

Jmouse

Congratulations Noah. With Siilijoki in OSITM, February is shaping up to be a very exciting month. :)

-Joan

Skimbo

Congratulations for the OSITM!!

Yan077

Some very nice pictures here, congrats on your OSITM, hope to see more pictures like that  :thumbsup:

Yann  :thumbsup:

Ciuu96

Congrats on your OSITM, really nice MD as I already said before. :thumbsup:
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)