• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

That probably should merge down back to regular OWR-2 before hitting the road, even if all lanes were pathed, its not the most safest thing to have three lanes end where theres only two ways to go. This isn't a bank, which is even worse, because in real life, banks can have multiple lanes all go out into only one place to turn to.

jpj_starfleet

I need help  ()sad()  I'm not sure what I did or did not do but when I am UDI'ing around in snap to mod I can only drive in one direction on the TLA-3, when I drive the other direction it keeps wanting to turn me left at every path junction, I checked pathing and everything is correct ... anybody have any ideas??

jdenm8

jpj_starfleet, that's just a quirk with the TLA networks. TLA-5 does it too if you're in the inner lanes. Tarkus' recommendation is to turn snap off while using the TLA-3 network.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

j-dub

I second that. Even before the NWM came out, there are just way too many instances where if you have snap turned on, your going to experience some seriously awkward results, and I don't know if one can stand having to continuously type in the cntrl-x cheat box udriveit and end up click-stealing on some random person's car to drive their car wherever you were initially going to go, and then having to do it again every time after losing another car you were just driving. It don't take much to lose your ride in SC4. Although, without the command option to steal traffic cars in this game, it can take a lot longer to drive the car you actually want.

So snap off and drive safe.

Also, just experimented with OWR neighbor connections, using the demolished avenue x rail puzzle piece exploit. (the same type of exploit that allows wider RHW neighbor connections without loop holes) So far so good, car traffic flows in and out of the city. I don't have any pictures right now, but at least the game is okay with the asymetrical building of the OWR-2 out next to OWR-3 in, you just have to use the exploit.

jpj_starfleet

Tarkus

Quote from: b22rian on May 19, 2010, 05:01:40 PM
hey ALex ...

brian here...

Fantastic job on both the NWM and RHW releases !
Hopefully you feel the hours and hours you toiled and worked so hard on these 2 mods were worth it !

looks like the pathing is missing from the OWR-3 ending in T intersection with road.. Left hand turn from

OWR-3 on to road network,

thanks again brian

Thanks for the kind words, Brian! :)  As j-dub pointed out, it's kind of an odd one, and its existence is actually primarily predicated on the fact that it needed to exist in order to allow the ARD-3 and the dual-tile NWM networks to have T-Intersections with OWR-3s.  I think the pathing should work a bit better on the reverse side, though I'll probably revisit that one now that you've brought it to my attention.

And I've also added the UDI/TLA info to the FAQ as well.

-Alex

b22rian

Quote from: Tarkus on May 21, 2010, 12:22:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Brian! :)  As j-dub pointed out, it's kind of an odd one, and its existence is actually primarily predicated on the fact that it needed to exist in order to allow the ARD-3 and the dual-tile NWM networks to have T-Intersections with OWR-3s.  I think the pathing should work a bit better on the reverse side, though I'll probably revisit that one now that you've brought it to my attention.

And I've also added the UDI/TLA info to the FAQ as well.

-Alex

Thanks for replying Alex...

after i read j Dub's comments i do agree with what he said..
I was just going through testing and looking to see what was functional and what was'nt at first i think..
But like J Dub though i do enjoy playing the transit of the game with what is realistic..

but also your balancing that with the limitations of the game, your map, and space..
so many times, your like "darn ! another transition, and you end up running out of room a lot of times..
if your someone like myself who builds dense , urban cities much of the time..

anyways, those are the 2 elements your always trying to balance all the time..
What works best, in terms of realism with transit..
But than also, space can sometimes be an issue, because in the end it is still a game with
certain limitations at time with spacial concerns..

Thanks again for insightful comments, both Alex, and J dub..

again most grateful to the NAM team for all they have done fir us through the years,

brian

zakuten

I had a small suggestion for a possible future transition; One could make OWR-X intersections where a lane turns on or off to resize it, rather than a long transition. I've seen a lot of cases IRL where such happens. Something like, OWR-5 with a right turn lane, after the intersection, it continues as a 4, or an OWR3 becomes a OWR2. I'm sure if this can be figured out, --course I've got no modding experience-- then it could maybe even be mirrored to add lanes. Obviously this'd make far more intersection pieces, but it's just some random idea and two cents.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Tarkus

Quote from: zakuten on May 22, 2010, 04:15:55 PM
I had a small suggestion for a possible future transition; One could make OWR-X intersections where a lane turns on or off to resize it, rather than a long transition. I've seen a lot of cases IRL where such happens. Something like, OWR-5 with a right turn lane, after the intersection, it continues as a 4, or an OWR3 becomes a OWR2. I'm sure if this can be figured out, --course I've got no modding experience-- then it could maybe even be mirrored to add lanes. Obviously this'd make far more intersection pieces, but it's just some random idea and two cents.

It's an almost absolute certainty that something like that will likely be implemented as part of the expansion to the NWM's TuLEP system.  One way you'll see TuLEP development heading in the future is intersections-as-transitions.

-Alex

jpj_starfleet

I'm not sure if this is NWM territory but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a Y split/junction from a road to two one-way roads? the picture below shows what I'm going for...

Thank You   ()borg()

Moonraker0

I am having a problem with the OWR-5 network.  Cars on this road will drive the right direction for a few seconds, then instantly flip around and drive the wrong way.  Sometimes they just stop after changing direction and there are multiple cars stopped in the wrong way, one behind another.  This only seems to happen in the middle lane of the road.  And when automata make a left turn from OWR-2 onto my OWR-5, they just disappear after making the turn, even though they didn't change lanes to make the turn.

SamJam

Quote from: Moonraker0 on May 23, 2010, 06:28:55 AM
I am having a problem with the OWR-5 network.  Cars on this road will drive the right direction for a few seconds, then instantly flip around and drive the wrong way.  Sometimes they just stop after changing direction and there are multiple cars stopped in the wrong way, one behind another.  This only seems to happen in the middle lane of the road.  And when automata make a left turn from OWR-2 onto my OWR-5, they just disappear after making the turn, even though they didn't change lanes to make the turn.

I noticed that too. The pathing looks like the OWR-5 is being treated as a TLA-5 but with each 'half' moving in the same direction. I think the Sims see the middle 'turning lane' as an opportunity to get to their destination more directly rather than circling a block (or whatever the case may be).

Rady

Hi all,

first thank you fopr this wonderfull addition to this game - it really add's a lot of realism. Second, is there an overview of the capacitiy of the different NVM networks? I didn't find anything in the readme ..

Thanks!
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

deathtopumpkins

They all have the same capacity as the network they are based on, which means that TLA-5, MAVE-4, and MAVE-6 have the capacity of two roads, AVE-2, TLA-3, and ARD-3 have the capacity of one road, and the wider OWRs have the capacity of one one-way road (or two in the case of the OWR-5).
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Quote from: jpj_starfleet on May 22, 2010, 10:34:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is NWM territory but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a Y split/junction from a road to two one-way roads? the picture below shows what I'm going for...

There's any number of mods whose job that could be. :D  From the looks of your pic, that would actually suggest TuLEPs--if one were done for a Road-into-Dual-OWR-1s, it'd be an NWM job, though.

Quote from: Moonraker0 on May 23, 2010, 06:28:55 AM

That's one of the side-effects of how the crossover paths were done.  I may look into finding an alternate way of implementing the crossover such that the cars won't "burn rubber", though.

Quote from: Rady on May 23, 2010, 11:06:13 AM
Second, is there an overview of the capacitiy of the different NVM networks? I didn't find anything in the readme ..

There isn't right now--it's partially because the traffic simulator situation was in a little bit of flux still when I was writing the Readme.  Essentially, what deathtopumpkins said above me is correct.  I may add a table back in at some point, though with the myriad of options now available with the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TSCT), it's kind of a moot point to some extent.

-Alex

imperialmog

I was looking to see if there is a way or does it have to have an addition since I have seen issues in connecting with the SAM streets.

jdenm8

Quote from: imperialmog on May 24, 2010, 04:16:51 AM
I was looking to see if there is a way or does it have to have an addition since I have seen issues in connecting with the SAM streets.

It's a little annoying, but I think they're just not supported.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: imperialmog on May 24, 2010, 04:16:51 AM

That's planned for a future release. 

-Alex

skitbil

Hey, how can I have an intersection between an ARD and a road, but after the intersection, the ARD turns into a one way road?

sitejunction

Will there be overpasses and Elavated Puzzle Pieces for NWM networks? Like the current One Way Road, Road, and Avenue Puzzle Piece Set Up.