• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papab2000

Hi all,

Just wanted to through a few examples of Michigan roads & intersections.  ;)

Double left turn example:

Michigan ave turn around's and we have plenty of them:

Triple right hand turns:

Double right & double left:

I could go on and on with the insanity but I will stop.  :D I don't know if you
even want to see these but I noticed talk about double turn lanes.  ::)

Rich

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

j-dub

@Papab2000. Guess what, if you want double turn lanes, OWR can be manipulated, but as you can see traffic can get stuck, and is not considered a feature. However, I have not seen this jam happen lately in my frequent commercial area highway. Figuring out how to do it is very complicated. Tried it once, don't want to do it again, at least this way. I like the idea of double left turn lanes, conjoined though.
@Tarkus, is that still going to work for the NWM? And is this following type of intersection possible to be redone for it as well? The angles, turn lanes, and signals all working properly seems extremely complicated. I noticed that stop points on the sidewalk of the avenue for some reason actually get the traffic lights to work after the avenue intersection without cars stopping in the middle, because there is no stop point on the final tile where the cars come into the last tile as there is no room, due to how the road needs to be aligned for evenly crossing diagonal over diagonal, but the light still works. I just was wondering if even you knew the means to this.

papab2000

j-dub,

lol looks like the mess we get here.  :D I don't think they would be a good idea if that is the result.  :thumbsdown:

Rich

j-dub

Well thats Maxis programming with OWR for you. I think after a repath, maybe this can work.

papab2000

Yeah they have some strange programming but that is what happens when you want to get the money rolling. Look at Windows.  ::) The world beta tests every OS they release, they just don't realize it.   :o Would be neat to see those types of Ave's work though.  ;) If it were not for those here mod'ing where would be be with this game. I just love the amazing work that is being done to continually transform SC4 into a lasting adventure.  :)  :thumbsup:

Streetlight 725

That Highway has a lot of traffic.

Ryan B.

I remember doing some textures for multiple left turn lanes and even right turn lanes.

Alex, I might have shown them to you . . . . would you happen to have any of them lying around?

Tarkus

Quote from: burgsabre87 on October 01, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
I remember doing some textures for multiple left turn lanes and even right turn lanes.

Alex, I might have shown them to you . . . . would you happen to have any of them lying around?

I think I remember those . . . the TLA-7 and TLA-9 prototypes.  They're probably still laying around on my old laptop (which is 110 miles away at the moment).

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ryan B.

surdanis

i can't wait until this mod is finished. the other project is cool, too, but this one takes the cake. what you can do with your urban centers with the NWM just make me wanna shed a tear.  :'(

of particular interest are the expanded one-ways, which will allow city builders like me to finally have something like 5th avenue in our cities!

http://weblogs.wgntv.com/news/nationworld/jordans-journal/A%20rare%20sight-%20traffic-free%205th%20Avenue.jpg

maybe a bribe is in order... a donation to the website? please, hurry!
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Pat

LoL Surdanis a bride to the website might work but I bet if you where to offer it to Alex he might take it and just use it and still get NWM when he could lol...  The NAM team has a motto " It will be ready when its ready", I know right now the main focus is on the RHW/MIS...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

surdanis

Quote from: Pat on October 04, 2008, 07:22:01 PM
LoL Surdanis a bride to the website might work but I bet if you where to offer it to Alex he might take it and just use it and still get NWM when he could lol...  The NAM team has a motto " It will be ready when its ready", I know right now the main focus is on the RHW/MIS...

an arranged marriage... brilliant!
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

MassHelper

SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

Monorail Master

I'm just wondering, what will the roundabouts or the end-road sections look like? ??? ??? ??? ???
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Tarkus

End sections will just look like normal stubs.  Here's a pic from over a year ago of the TLA-5 stubs:

I really don't have a concept for Roundabouts yet, and I'm not sure there will really be one.  Usually, there's a deflection island before reaching the main circular road--TLA-5s will need to be converted to normal Avenues, and TLA-3s will probably have to be converted back into Roads.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I haven't forgotten about the NWM.  But it won't be worked on much (if at all) until I have RHW Version 21 in "cruise control".  (It's rather tricky having so many large-scale projects that folks appear to be anticipating.) 

Perhaps a small first NWM release may be possible in the near future, though.  We like to surprise people. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

You do love telling us that you love to surprise people, don't you? ;D

I'd also like to see an AVE-2 roundabout connection, whenever that one's done. (But it seems that the ave-2 is a newer concept that hasn't had as much development and as such probably has no such connection made?)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Pat

Quote from: surdanis on October 07, 2008, 08:43:05 PM
an arranged marriage... brilliant!

ooh crap I just noticed what I said lol ooii blah ehehehe I meant to say bribe lol  $%Grinno$%  I dunno Nerdly but I would venture to say you are correct as since this is newer that there wouldnt at this time be the roundabout for the ave-2 section...  it took us a loooooong time to get the roundabouts as is lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

j-dub

Well since the TLA 5 is really an Avenue, and the AVE-2 is is really a road. I don't get why new roundabouts would be needed at all, except for just a single tile one for something like streets, but thats different. In fact, I don't like getting stuck with the middle center turn lane end in a roundabout already.

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on October 15, 2008, 08:01:10 PM
Well since the TLA 5 is really an Avenue, and the AVE-2 is is really a road. I don't get why new roundabouts would be needed at all

My thoughts exactly.  AVE-2 maybe, but it's a long way off before I can even start thinking about AVE-2 roundabout interfaces.  And even then, there's usually some sort of tapering at most modern roundabouts, down to a Road.  So I'm fairly certain now that there won't be any special roundabout interfaces.

Unless the concept of a 3-lane roundabout was visited . . . but that's another project entirely.

-Alex (Tarkus)

BourneID

may I make a suggestion for highway ends.....  most federally funded or state funded highway projects antisipate that at a future date that highway my need to be extended....so in undeveloped areas they tend to run almost to a dead end... usually till the point they run out of the concrete or blacktop that they already ordered to the site...    here is an example of what I am taking about.....

Smile Y'all