• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Tarkus on April 27, 2008, 06:05:04 PM
We'll get back to this one soon. ;)

And indeed we have.  ;)

Here's a peek at one of the Avenue/TLA-5 intersections.

-Alex (Tarkus)

mapper

Good stuff, but one question, shouldn't the avenue that is intersecting have only 2 lanes, one going left and one going right? Great job though, the Asymmetrical looks nice too.  &apls

(I never understood why the signals were at the front of the intersection... in VA, ours are at the end, I hope you understand what I mean.)

|             |
                             |             |
      signal not here>_|you         |_

__               __
            signal here> |             |

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

yoshiisland2

Well, I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember there being some limitation to the game where street signals could not be placed at the far end of intersections...perhaps a more Transit Mod-savvy member here can point out the details. ;)
Looking real great by the way Alex, can't wait to be surprised with this one as you have so many others!! :thumbsup:

Swamper77

The signals have to be on the tiles that the traffic is stopping at, which happens to be the near side of avenue x avenue intersections. The reason is because of the stop points that are in the path files for the tiles of the intersections. So, the signals have to be located on the tiles that have the stop points, which happen to be on the near side of all intersections. Only on single tile intersections can you mount the signals across from the cars.

Technically, we could put stop points on the tiles for the far side of the intersections, but then you would have cars stopping out in the middle of the intersections. $%Grinno$%

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

MandelSoft

Quote from: mapper on April 30, 2008, 06:51:32 PM
Good stuff, but one question, shouldn't the avenue that is intersecting have only 2 lanes, one going left and one going right? Great job though, the Asymmetrical looks nice too.  &apls

(I never understood why the signals were at the front of the intersection... in VA, ours are at the end, I hope you understand what I mean.)

|             |
                             |             |
      signal not here>_|you         |_

__               __
            signal here> |             |

Beside the reason that Swamper77 said, there's another reason why it should be at this side of the road. It's very common (in Europe) to put the signals at the stop points, and not on the opposite side of the intersection. I think it's strange to put the signals at that point (but that's my point of view   ::))

Best,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mightygoose

actually as far as the UK goes the norm is to have lights in both places at busy intersections.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

yoshiisland2

Quote from: mrtnrln on May 01, 2008, 01:25:11 AM
Beside the reason that Swamper77 said, there's another reason why it should be at this side of the road. It's very common (in Europe) to put the signals at the stop points, and not on the opposite side of the intersection. I think it's strange to put the signals at that point (but that's my point of view   ::))

Best,
MRTNRLN

Well...here it's easier for most to have the lights on the opposite side of the stop point.  Reason being, everyone in red cars feels obligated to stop about 3 or so feet past the white line marking where you're supposed to stop...and thus couldn't see the signals if they were right at the stop point. :D

mapper

Quote from: yoshiisland2 on May 01, 2008, 11:16:23 AM
Well...here it's easier for most to have the lights on the opposite side of the stop point.  Reason being, everyone in red cars feels obligated to stop about 3 or so feet past the white line marking where you're supposed to stop...and thus couldn't see the signals if they were right at the stop point. :D

Thats exactly the reason I was going to state.  ;D

Oh, if the stop points indicate the signal placement, then there really isn't much we can do, which is a bummer, but thats ok.  Would it be possible to place a dummy signal on the opposite side? Would it not be functional(red, yellow green changes)?

simzebu

Or perhaps some sort of overhanging prop, so that the game thinks its at the stop point, but it looks like it's over the opposite side?
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

j-dub

There always is the possiblity of making dummy signals or new animated signals all together that don't work off the game's stoppoints. At the same time, peoples ideas of traffic lights are different. With this alone, this might be a completely different project leading away from the TLA, especially the possibility to make new animated siganals. In persepective, the games traffic lights are unreal, because they are flat, plus they don't have cups around the lights. If they did have cups sized to RL, I don't think we should be able to see the lights anyway, thats why I take advantage of using alternate models for avenue intersections. Just for the heck of it to see if Swampper was right, I did try doing multiple avenue intersection with traffic lights on stop points across after, and I noticed the cars DON'T block the intersection, because the red lights some how are timed the same length, see pics below. When the lights are already red, in many instances, the automatta just dissapears anyway. What Swampper said seems to work. The first pic they are in fact blowing the red light. The second pic is a red light after the avenuexavenue intersection, timed the same, as is the last one as another example of paralel timing. This is debatable and has to be tried. Others may want this, but personally I like how the TLA already is without this modification.

Orange Julius

I agree what you said about the stoplights. The stoplights in SimCity 4 face OUT when they normally face in, with the exception of one Waco,TX intersection where the lights were facing out to aid those who were possibly stuck farther back in the line. Unfortunately, without pictures, it doesn't say much.
Gone now...

j-dub

Then again in real life, if every community did traffic lights the SC4 avenue way with them before the crosswalk, this could be a major life saving solution to prevent running red lights, I'd rather go with traffic lights that way, then the hated red light cameras.

Shadow Assassin

The only problem I can see with that is that well, the leading car can't see the lights so they don't know if it's turned green or not.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

j-dub

Its debatable. I have seen multiple intersections where sometimes, the one side doesn't even have a signal, just a stop sign. Below is a real pic of the signal before the intersection. 

smoncrie

A while ago I worked out a way to offset the position of a traffic light. I made it so that it showed up at an offset from its actual position, and it still worked correctly.

The downside of this is that it would require some tedious work to offset the traffic lights more than a short distance (>5m)

Is anyone interested in this?

dragonshardz

I am, I've always been frustrated at how the stoplights are positioned.

On a side note, perhaps a mod or admin should move posts concerning stoplight props to a new thread, because we are going pretty far off topic here.

I'd do it myself, but I'm just a 3RR Team Member. No administrative powers except in the 3RR Honors Thread....which needs to be updated.

And I'm going OT.  :thumbsdown: to me!  :D

~~Dragonshardz~~

j-dub

@Smoncrie, You mean the added stoppoint on the tile after the avenue intersection tile right? Maybe there should be a poll else where to see if more people would be in favor of this idea, because it sounds like that alone is getting popular.

pilotdaryl

j-dog, the side street has a stop sign because the road traffic is not sufficient enough for a full traffic light.  The signals here are controlling the crosswalk.  I see this multiple times in BC and these intersections can also be differentiated by the flashing green light here.