• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Something new to play with

Started by callagrafx, October 30, 2008, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpiano

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

were the models expensive?
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

callagrafx

Quote from: toxicpiano on November 01, 2008, 10:41:16 AM
were the models expensive?

Not overly, especially considering the number of them  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zero7 on November 01, 2008, 04:35:31 AM
That looks fantastic at those angles - let's hope it doesn't lose too much in the transition to the game.

Actually, what makes it look real is the water....and that will be eliminated for the final model.  Here's what SC4 will see at zoom 4

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Pat

OMG Lee sooo verry breath taking!!!!  :thumbsup: &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

papab2000

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

jmdude1

again, this project is looking excellent. cant wait to see those docks full of yachts and cruisers. is that a concrete breakwall going around the outside and will it be part of the final product? if so, i was just wondering about the space at the bottom of the pic, between the wooden dock and the concrete pier. if there were any oncoming boats in this channel, it would be a really tight squeeze. or maybe its just the angle of the pic. anyways, thats just something small i noticed.  great work on a top notch marina/yacht club!

Fatsuhono

Callagrafx-san: WOW! :thumbsup: I was looking at the your 'first' pictures from the start of this thread, and I see max used to its full potential! ;D I know reflections (raytrace), but how exactly did you manage to create the water effect, ripples, distorted reflections, etc....?

callagrafx

Quote from: Fatsuhono on November 01, 2008, 08:12:43 PM
Callagrafx-san: WOW! :thumbsup: I was looking at the your 'first' pictures from the start of this thread, and I see max used to its full potential! ;D I know reflections (raytrace), but how exactly did you manage to create the water effect, ripples, distorted reflections, etc....?

Nothing could be simpler.  Set your renderer to Mental Ray, create an Arch&Design material and choose "Water" from the template list.  Add a UV map to a plane (in this case the map is 20m square) and apply the material.  Using MR sun/sky rig with MR Physical sky and MR Photographic exposure controls, it's so much easier to simulate water.  The effect only works in perspective & camera views, as you can see from the orthographic render above
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on November 02, 2008, 01:27:19 AM
Nothing could be simpler.  Set your renderer to Mental Ray, create an Arch&Design material and choose "Water" from the template list.  Add a UV map to a plane (in this case the map is 20m square) and apply the material.  Using MR sun/sky rig with MR Physical sky and MR Photographic exposure controls, it's so much easier to simulate water.  The effect only works in perspective & camera views, as you can see from the orthographic render above

Yeah, simple.

threestooges

I know you mention loss of detail when in the game and all, but I have to say, that looks very, very good.

kimcar

&apls &apls Wow that is look just amazing very great work. :thumbsup:

art128

that look amazing  &apls great work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

zero7

Quote from: callagrafx on November 01, 2008, 01:13:46 PM
Not overly, especially considering the number of them  :thumbsup:

Actually, what makes it look real is the water....and that will be eliminated for the final model.  Here's what SC4 will see at zoom 4

That's what I expected - the MR water looks textureless and flat at game angles.  But once the pontoons are in game they'll be showing against a Pegasus water mod in all likelihood and will look fine.  The only things that we'll miss are reflections and light-spill from the boats which doesn't seem to affect other water based models too much.  I think this will be a great addition.

Are you going to use the MR car paint shaders for the boats?

Call me Richard

callagrafx

Quote from: zero7 on November 02, 2008, 09:02:39 AM
Are you going to use the MR car paint shaders for the boats?

I doubt it...much of the detail gets lost as they have to be rendered against black to get a semblance of decent AA, so a carpaint shader will not reflect very well in that instance.  I'll probably stick to an alter arch&design plastic effect, which is as close to real as I think the game can cope with  :thumbsup:

Youcefk69

Geronimo

jacqulina

Ennedi

Quote from: callagrafx on October 31, 2008, 05:17:23 PM
(...)
I'd probably go for a land/water LOT to be honest, offset people would be too fiddly to place in LE

Lee,
Would it be possible to make a set including water/land entrance(s) and some modular water lots?
It would be something quite different from the PEG's piers with boats, they look very nice but it's impossible to build a larger pier  :)

Here's an example

PS. You have a fantastic idea! :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Hey Lee any update at all on this project? Just wondering since the last shown was looking very good!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

callagrafx

Unfortunately this project is now inactive/abandoned....However I have rendered the boats and will be releasing a prop pack that Citynut/Barbyw will be using to create an addon Marina to his WFK set.