• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seven years? Seven??!

Started by callagrafx, April 06, 2020, 05:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

Guess who's back? Back again...

This whole virus nonsense has given me some actual spare time... normally I'd be out with a camera  :'( So as an intellectual exercise I wanted to see if I could find a way around technological progress and play with the BAT again.  I have actually managed to create a working solution (boot from external HD into W7 with 3DS Max 2013) to get it working, and I've even remembered some basic LOTing.  As this was a test I thought I'd use some skyscraper models I have from Evermotion to see if I can adapt them to be a a game asset.  This is the result:

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY MODEL.  I HAVE ADAPTED ONE FROM STOCK.

Winterton Tower... in honour of my dear friend Barby. Any volunteers to test it?  I don't have a city that's capable of growing it...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

thingfishs

Welcome back! I've only recently returned myself after years in the wilderness/RL.
I would say mission accomplished - and I'm happy to give it a go (I'll have to dust off a VERY old region in order to do so...).
Look forward to hopefully seeing some new CAL productions.  :)

911Diva

Girafe

welcome back Lee  ;)
I can test it if needed  :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

xxdita

Glad to have you back in action, Lee.

I am available for testing.

art128

Looks great. :) Don't have any city to test it unfortunately.

I feel the roof is a bit empty, could use some hvac stuff. But hey it's still pretty nice for a first model after seven years. :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Quote from: art128 on April 06, 2020, 10:20:54 PM
Looks great. :) Don't have any city to test it unfortunately.

I feel the roof is a bit empty, could use some hvac stuff. But hey it's still pretty nice for a first model after seven years. :D

Didn't really play too much with the model, was more interested to see if I could get the workflow going...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

art128

Quote from: callagrafx on April 07, 2020, 04:54:03 AM
Didn't really play too much with the model, was more interested to see if I could get the workflow going...

Ahah, don't get me wrong I didn't mean to say it was bad at all. In fact for an adapted model it fits nicely.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Been playing some more... introducing Hawksworth Heights (in memory of Geoff)...

Now I have a question... this sits on a 5x5 LOT, will that make it harder to grow?

xxdita

Basically, for a 5x5 to grow, the zone would have to start out as 5 1x3s backed by 5 1x2s. It's not totally unheard of, but it isn't overly common either.

callagrafx

Cheers for the info... don't want to make it too hard to grow, so I'm reducing it down in scale to fit the standard 4x4 CO$$$.

Andreas

5x5 should be easy to grow if you zone a 5x5 lot with CTRL pressed. I like such (somewhat uncommon) lot shapes, as there's quite a good chance to get the building that you want. There are hundreds of 4x4 skyscrapers, so the chance that yours will grow is pretty small (even if you don't have other custom content, as there's lots of competition from the Maxis lots).
Andreas

xxdita

Right, you don't even have to zone 5x5. Lot depths of 2 and 3 can always upgrade to 5s naturally when it's time. 6x6 is more common.

But go with how you think it looks best. We'll make it fit.

art128

Looks good cal. Logo on top is really nice.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

OK I think this one is OK to go...
I've left it on a 5x5 LOT, let's give people a challenge  %BUd%