• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New canals? Surely you can't be serious?

Started by callagrafx, April 27, 2010, 03:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

There will be more stuff to follow, such as footbridges, a rowing club, an "island" restaurant, houseboats and possibly a small marina/boatyard.  But for now, I need to get these packaged and scrutinised and then uninstall SC4 for a little while, as I need the disk space for a paying job  :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

thingfishs

wow, looks like a fantastic set; I love the stone textures, the water reflections, the arches & stairs.... all round a classy package  &apls

The only minor thing I would suggest that could help (but might be considered superfluous), is an alternate open water tile or tiles, or maybe a larger one. I still focus a bit on the repetition in the water. Maybe it could be a prop family so that when you place the water one of several lots would be positioned, which should lend a bit more of a random, natural feel to it. Just an idea...

jigsaw

insert signature here

callagrafx

Quote from: thingfishs on April 27, 2010, 04:01:56 AM
wow, looks like a fantastic set; I love the stone textures, the water reflections, the arches & stairs.... all round a classy package  &apls

The only minor thing I would suggest that could help (but might be considered superfluous), is an alternate open water tile or tiles, or maybe a larger one. I still focus a bit on the repetition in the water. Maybe it could be a prop family so that when you place the water one of several lots would be positioned, which should lend a bit more of a random, natural feel to it. Just an idea...

It's a procedural texture, so no matter how many I render, they'll all look the same  :thumbsup:  The pack will have 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 water tiles, placed on in rotation so there will be an element of randomness...however with this game, there will always be an element of tiling.  The only way to avoid that is to have flat textures, such as the one in SimGoober's canals.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

SeanSC4

thingfishs

Quote from: callagrafx on April 27, 2010, 04:12:34 AM
It's a procedural texture, so no matter how many I render, they'll all look the same  :thumbsup:  The pack will have 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 water tiles, placed on in rotation so there will be an element of randomness...however with this game, there will always be an element of tiling.  The only way to avoid that is to have flat textures, such as the one in SimGoober's canals.

ah, okay... (off to find out what a procedural texture is)  ;)

Orange_o_

Tremendous work  &apls,

you can maybe modify only the center of the texture to preserve the tilling ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

Diggis

What water colour texture are these.... I know you've been wanting to change to a new colour and if you do I might seriously have to consider redoing your old ones for you.

callagrafx

Quote from: Diggis on April 27, 2010, 04:24:07 AM
What water colour texture are these.... I know you've been wanting to change to a new colour and if you do I might seriously have to consider redoing your old ones for you.

Here's the material library...no bitmaps used  ;D  It should work with your version of Max....

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on April 27, 2010, 04:31:16 AM
Here's the material library...no bitmaps used  ;D  It should work with your version of Max....

Rats... I'm going to have to do some work now.. .although so will you :P  Will flick you a PM about this.

FrankU

Hi Cal,

Nobody in this community will ever be so stupid as to say that a new project is superfluous. Especially not if the results are so beautiful. But what would give your canals this extra attraction would be diagonal canals and some kind of compatibility with Diggis' ponds and streams.... Are you going to make these?

Great work so far. :thumbsup:

Girafe

Awesome Callagrafx   &apls &apls

I really enjoy the effect of the water and textures are amazing !!!

very nice work  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Rady

Those pieces do look astonishing indeed!!!  &apls &apls &apls &apls

And may I dare to support FrankU's suggestion for diagonals ....

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

noahclem

WOW!

Starting to second-guess having spent the last couple weeks meticulously terrain editing my new city's river for retaining walls, bridges, etc. (Tentatively) the best- and most realistic-looking canal set to date!

canyonjumper

Awesome! I love the texture!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

MAS71

Hello CAL san  :)
Yes, That's beatiful and real water here !! &apls
I have a regret a little for my water in my JRP Lots :-[
so I think now that want to remove and change water-texture with your nice one if it possible to easy.  ;D

Nice work CAL san !!  :thumbsup:

nekseb

Great - it looks like real-life!  &apls

And the water is wonderful, especially the reflection at the water is awesome.  :thumbsup:

May you make some more plaza-pieces with the same pavement and some benches to expand the area near the canal ?
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

littlefriend420

k808j

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Connor

Beautiful. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

Very nice work Shirley Cal  :thumbsup: