• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Resort Hotel - La Mirage - IMPORTANT UPDATE. Please read if you've downloaded.

Started by callagrafx, April 06, 2010, 06:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

One of my clients has asked me to make a model of a resort hotel to illustrate various different air handling systems....Normally I'd only model the various sections, not the thing as a whole, but this time I thought I'd go the whole hog, and see if it would work as a BAT.

Still very much in development....things like the main lobby entrance and the AHUs themselves, as well as all the roof junk and other trimmings. 

From the ground (lighting is BAT lighting, not what I'd be using for commercial renders)

BAT angle (Day)

Nightlighting test (restaurant & pool section only)

One of the AHUs (wall mounted)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

BarbyW

Ooh very nice indeed. Another to rival St David's.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

vester

Good to see you back batting.

Love your building.  :thumbsup:

Love the way that details comes out in your nightshot, that hardly shows up in the dayshot.

DebussyMan

Incredible! The materials are perfect, specially the frosted glass, and the nightime balcony with the tables looks very realistic.

Just a little quirk, I believe "mirage" is a masculine noun, so it should be "Le Mirage"

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

cubby420

Absolutely stunning. The attention paid to the small details that bring a building to life and give it a story are the highlights for me.

The shadows set by ambient lighting amongst that very fun looking patio area at night...I must say my jaw dropped. I'm very curious how that area turns out when all detail work is applied. I hope in the future you could maybe give us a close peak at the tiny door and stair onto the (I believe?) 3rd floor roof. It looks like a neat and very detailed little extra that many wouldn't think to include.

All in all I'd say superb job. As far as advice, I am totally out of my depth so I'll play the role of fan:  ;D Good luck with work and I can't wait to play with this. I'll be watching for more progress.

thingfishs

Likewise I find comments that just say "great work" to be a bit lame, it's good to bring some constructive thoughts to the table. So I was left with two choices, say nothing or say this: truly beautiful, flawless (but not floor-less) & insane; a great benefit of talented folk having RL reasons for SC creation.  &apls &apls &apls (I'm not in the habit of giving 3 clapping hands, but this deserves it).

callagrafx

Bit of an update.....this thing's becoming a wee bit unwieldy.  I may have to cut back on some detailing for the BAT version.

Barby:  I am seriously tempted to revisit St Davids...by which I mean re-do it  ;)

Vester:  Well, I never stopped modelling for work, it's just this is the first opportunity where there's been a crossover.  And I had to buy the game (again) to be able to render for BAT.

Debussy:  Well, I stayed at a "La Mirage" in the US, and I've googled and it seems to be a popular name for hotels, especially in Latin countries.

Cubby420: That's just an access door to get to the aircon units above the restaurant. Still needs some more stuff up there, probably pipework.

thingsfish: thanks  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

DebussyMan

Quote from: callagrafx on April 07, 2010, 02:05:52 PM
Debussy:  Well, I stayed at a "La Mirage" in the US, and I've googled and it seems to be a popular name for hotels, especially in Latin countries.

Strange, I had never heared it that way... but now I see you are right about its ubiquitousness.

Anyway, the whole complex looks better and better with every detail you add...

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

Jack_wilds

Hello Cal, Jack wilds here...

Thought I'd stop by and see what all the fuss was about... all I can say is -wow!  :thumbsup:

what a really neat beach front type resort -are the art-deco influences intentional?

well done, the over all design has a  number of good design intents  ??? -making sense

Jack   :satisfied:

callagrafx

A view from the west...

And I leave you with a Sims eye view of the main entrance.  Just realised at this angle, the lightpoles are too low  :'(

FrankU

Quote from: callagrafx on April 07, 2010, 02:05:52 PM

Are you seriously going to place the AHUs right on the wall above the entrance? That's really ugly. I'd say: no way that I would allow this if it was my hotel.

Furthermore: a beautiful bat, full of the neccesary details to make it realistic.

callagrafx

Nope, changed my mind (see the last two renders)... I'll use smaller wall mounted units there.  They need to be placed there to aircon the lobby and downstairs pool area, just not so "in your face"  ;)

callagrafx

Finished the roof junk and other detailing....

Onto the nightlighting.

cubby420

Wow! That's one hell of a roof! Tons of great detail.

kimcar

callagrafx

MAS71

Oh my..... :o
What a beatiful building it is here, and you done a perfect !  &apls  &apls  &apls

Hello CAL san  :)
I'm looking forward to use your building in the SC4, and as put these pics in a frame and want to display these in my room as well. :thumbsup:
Especialy, I like 'Night-Lighting of a restaurant' so much.  ;)

Perfect work it is CAL san !  :thumbsup:

Thank you

kimcar

&apls &apls Excellent nightlighting . Great work :thumbsup:

callagrafx

Thanks guys....

After an overnight render of the nightlights, I've got it ingame (test lot only)

By Day

By Night

I'm hoping a certain lotting goddess will take this and turn it into a useful game asset....I'm thinking a reward of some kind.   :thumbsup:

Diggis

Hey Cal,

Looking great there.  &apls Love the detail.  My only comment is the La Mirage on the top corner seems to get a little lost as it's the same colour as the lights in the rooms.  What would it look like with a touch of red or blue?