• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Critique this Picture....

Started by rooker1, November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Robin - I'll give you 8.5/10 because if some little things. Well, first the transparency of the water, It's not something great and it make your picture looking.... I don't know, but I don't really love to see what is under the sea. Anyway, you can, sure, place some floras and rocks to make it looking more realistic. there's also the lack of cars in the road. Without these two little details, nice picture !

Straha - Well, that's a pretty nice natural picture, great work with the trees floras. Also, good job with the river and the animated waterfall. the only thing I can reproach is that the picture is very empty... there's nothing except that river, I think you should put a street with some old houses to make it looking abandoned. Anyway, I'll give you 9/10.

Robin2 - Well, again it's a nice picture you made here, i really love the effect used who make it looking fantastic. Also, great choice of buildings, the only thing is that the medium wealth apartments at the right don't fit very well with the others low wealth/ghetto buildings. Anyway, I'll give you 9/10

Well, here's my picture, recently added to the HOF.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CabraBuitre

Art,

I love the pic... it's a great shot!  And I like the rail shops... but IMO it would look more realistic if the buildings were rotated 90 degrees.  It seems like they could have easily added on buildings left and right of the 4 car deep rail shop buildings... but the way they're set up in the pic, any expansion would have to be made on the back end... adding one length of the car... but necessitating an entire wall to be knocked down every time.

Here's a picture of my favorite railroad, the long-defunct Chicago Aurora and Elgin, which had its shops in Wheaton, IL.  This shot is from 1938:

Let's see if I can find a close-up... ok, here we go:

The building was deeper than it was wide, yes, but the features of the building ran parallel rather than orthogonal to the rail lines that ran into the shop.

You can see here that the peak of the roof is in line with the track rather than perpendicular to it.

I think this is more realistic... here's one of the Chicago Transit Authority shops:

I think this really shows the situation of most shops... they've got limited space, so they essentially build buildings parallel to the tracks... think of it like covering a portion of the track.

So, in your picture, it would seem logical that expansion could continue towards the bottom of the picture with those tracks being "covered" by the building... with the peak of the roof parallel to the tracks.

I hope that makes sense....  I REALLY like the look of that... just think it should be rotated 90 degrees!

Check out Abelfarei!

io_bg

art128 - fantastic pic, I don't think that there is a thing that can make this mosaic better.

Here's one from me
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

rooker1

Wow been a while....

Arthur - Great picture.  I like your chioce of composition in this picture, there's no wonder why it went to HoF! &apls That building in the middle is one of my favourites by marcszar and it seems to fit with the rest of the city there.  I love the fact that you were able to jam in a rail yard as well.  As for the buildingI think a lot of people would have over looked the fact that it looks like it should be turned 90 degrees to be in the same direction as the trains.....I personelly don't think it's a big deal.  I like this picture alot and I give it a 9/10!

io_bg - I like this picture as well, but I do have some personel issues with it.  I think the schoolyard needs a fence around it...you know to keep the children safe.  The park beside it look really nice but seems to be very large co mpared to what is in the area.  I would expect to see a park that large in a down town area.  I like the fact that you used the curving avenue piece but that amount of concrete/sidewalk for the area looks a little out of place.  All these fact don't neccessarily make the picture a bad one but just seems a bit off for me.  I wish the picture had a frame (a pet peev of mine) just to finish it off.  I give this picture a 7.5 out of 10.

I hope to see some more pics.....

Here is an old one from me...

Have fun...
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

dellyking2

All look so amazing. Here's my first try at making straight edges. Hope you like it.
P.S.: I was just messing with the features of the photobucket editor, so the text is more of a useless addition.

Gilikov1994

Heblem, great american suburb!!!
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

canyonjumper

Time for the newb to try his hand :D

@dellyking2: You've got the grid on and don't have a border. To me, there is something missing. I'll give it 8.5/10.

Hmmm. How do you get the image to be a hyperlink?

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Cyclone1001

Personally, I love the picture. I think it would look better with taller, more sophisticated buildings. The plazas/ ponds look good, but a little too planned. Overall- 7/10

My turn...

canyonjumper

Quote from: Cyclone1001 on December 18, 2009, 02:24:34 PM
...but a little too planned. Overall- 7/10

A little too planned? The whole thing was planned. What I cropped out is the city limits, which is not far from the edge of the pic :D.

I like your pic. This is the one you used tn the picture competition isn't it? Pity it went up against Badsim's pic. It suffered the same fate my first one did :D
OK, back to the critiquing. Nice use of Peg's streams, but you could have used a more appropriate bridge design. I think it's a.......8/10

-Jordan

Cyclone1001

Well, what bridge should I have used?

canyonjumper

There's a stone bridge available. I think it's part of the NAM.

-Jordan

rooker1

It's been some time...

dellyking2 - First off the grid is on which is a big no no. ;) The blurr effect is sometime a nice one but I think you should have left a focal point in clear.  Problem with that is the picture is very flat....there is no focal point in the picture at all.  It is also lacking in foreground and background, which is why I call the picture very flat.  The repeditiveness of the five High Tech buildings is a down fall to the picture as well.  I would have destroyed over and over again until I got different  HT to grow.  I really don't mind much the title you added to the pic.....that is of personel choice, whether it is a fitting one or not, or in any type of letters.  That looks fine to me, although if you were in PS I would have added a border to finish off the picture.
I give this picture a 5 out of 10.

canyonjumper - I guess the focal point of the picture could be the avenue intersection, although not a very interesting one.  I don't reall like the uniformity of the picture, the four park ponds and the repeditiveness of several buildings.  Nice border and title added in is a bonus.
I'll give your picture a 6.5 out of 10.

Cyclone1001 - At first glance I was fairly pleased with the picture. The problem for me is the trees all look the same.  Try to add in a few other types for variety and I think it would make the picture come to life.  Your chioce of rivers is entirely up to you but I think plopable water would have looked a lot better.  You than could have created a slight ditch for the river and maybe use a different land bridge.  The other bridge is a nice affect with the dirt paths leading to and from it.  A border and maybe a fitting title would have finished this picture off perfectly.
I give this picture a 7.5 out of 10.

And here is one from me.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

emgmod

I like that you can see a little color in the image. You also managed to make the Maxis water tower and water pump match the surroundings. There always is a flaw that I can't see, so 9/10.

Edit: Here's my picture. I changed it a bit from the picture in my MD.

sc-4

So this is my first pic in this post , this picture show you a residential area of my city :

Call me Ludo

firdausabdullah

Hi Robin,
Unless you put a theme for your picture, it is difficult to critique. Not sure what its all about but seems to me that you are pulling our attention towards the water tower. So is the usage of the round frame. It could be empty or not working properly, which explain the gloominess of the surrounding area. Suggestion, you could use a square frame so that the focus is not too much on the water tower. 6/10

Hi Emgmod,
Your picture is very nice. I always like this rural scenes. My only comment is that you should work a bit on your custom lot because they look too 'ploppable'. For example, the little house could use a base lot that has sparse grass around it, and the lake could use some 'ornaments' around it, that would make them look more realistic. The train.. well that is suppose to be electric but I suppose you could have it in diesel  &idea and the grass along the rail need regular maintenance. 7/10

Hi sc-4,
Nice planning, although a bit unrealistic on the underground highway unless you can justify the technology used in its construction...sorry an engineer point of view. Suggestion - lower one more level which provide thicker ground for the buildings. Urr...?? is that an Ariane rocket blasting from the neighbours backyard? Request - could you show a finish picture? 6/10

Overall, very well done. Thats all from me, Cheers.
-firdaus-

Cyclone1001

sc-4: Too much Maxis and looks too modular. The mixing of classes hurt it, but not as much as having 4 or 5 of the same building in a row. The little 'info' amd the 'rocket' killed it. Sorry to say, but 4/10

mightygoose

Quote from: Cyclone1001 on January 14, 2010, 02:32:20 PM
sc-4: Too much Maxis and looks too modular. The mixing of classes hurt it, but not as much as having 4 or 5 of the same building in a row. The little 'info' amd the 'rocket' killed it. Sorry to say, but 4/10

don't judge to quickly, if i am right, and i think i am in this case, but there isn't a single bit of maxis in that shot....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

io_bg

I think only the police and the fire stations are Maxis.
However, there's too much repetition and empty space in this picture. 6/10 from me.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Cyclone1001

Quote from: mightygoose on January 14, 2010, 02:50:19 PM
don't judge to quickly, if i am right, and i think i am in this case, but there isn't a single bit of maxis in that shot....
Well played sir... Well played...

ihatetacos

First Picture i've ever posted in here