• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Anyone got ideas on how to lower traffic congestion or increase traffic capacity

Started by MassHelper, November 13, 2008, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MassHelper

Howdy y'all.... I have been experiencing heavy traffic congestion (which led to my city's pop. lowering) and the roads (like highway and other high-speed routes) are getting jammed (red on the congestion graph). However, my rail traffic, which has high volumes, are not getting jammed and are running quite smoothly. So I have a question... Is there a way to stop or, more realistically speaking, lower the congestion? Also, is there a way to increase traffic capacity??

And BTW, I got Ralphael Ninja's Radical Ordinance v2.0, NAM (04/2008 version) and CAM (v1.0) installed.

As for the city, the population has been going up and down between 1930k ppl to 1935k ppl in a period of two game years.
If you have any ideas, post it here and share it with all of us.. ;) Thx :)
:) Mass
SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

RippleJet

Difficult to answer without knowing which Traffic Plugin you're currently using. ???
What's in the Network Addon Mod folder and what's in the z_CAM folder?

You might be interested in Z's thread A new traffic simulator.
There's a beta version in one of the latest posts that you can download if you want to test it.

MassHelper

I already have his traffic simulator, Tage... Check Z's post in the NAM... I have been posting in it for like a long time... BTW, remember someone asking you for a Census Repository that fits Z's simulator???

EDIT: There are nothing in the z_CAM folder... I was using NAM simulator B instead...

RippleJet

Quote from: MassHelper on November 13, 2008, 12:30:56 PM
BTW, remember someone asking you for a Census Repository that fits Z's simulator???

Duh &ops &ops &ops &ops
Hang me by my tail and I'll swing for you for a while... $%Grinno$%

Quote from: MassHelper on November 13, 2008, 12:30:56 PM
EDIT: There are nothing in the z_CAM folder... I was using NAM simulator B instead...

Easy, Medium or Hard?

Simulator Z has a lot higher network capacities than Simulator B.
Why not use Simulator Z in that case? ::)

MassHelper

RippleJet

MassHelper

Whoops.... I meant I have simulator B, but I using Simulator Z right now....

Sorry for the confusion...

RippleJet

Quote from: MassHelper on November 14, 2008, 02:47:44 PM
but I using Simulator Z right now....

Quote from: MassHelper on November 13, 2008, 08:07:03 AM
I have been experiencing heavy traffic congestion (which led to my city's pop. lowering) and the roads (like highway and other high-speed routes) are getting jammed (red on the congestion graph). However, my rail traffic, which has high volumes, are not getting jammed and are running quite smoothly. So I have a question... Is there a way to stop or, more realistically speaking, lower the congestion? Also, is there a way to increase traffic capacity??

So you're saying Simulator Z's capacities are not enough for you? %confuso
I think you need to post this in the thread dealing with Simulator Z in that case... ::)

MassHelper

Z's simulator is all right... But it's not powerful enough.... Need some1 someone to make a much powerful one, something that has the same magnitude as NAM simulators, but way more capacity..

Please refrain from using words like some1 instead of someone!
/Tage

RippleJet

Quote from: MassHelper on November 17, 2008, 02:02:06 PM
Z's simulator is all right... But it's not powerful enough....

???

Need someone to make a much powerful one, something that has the same magnitude as NAM simulators, but way more capacity..

Z? ::)

z

Z's simulator is all right... But it's not powerful enough....

I just came across this thread...

Since the last posts in this thread, the pathfinder in Simulator Z has been further improved.  You can get the latest version here.  If you've still got congestion with the Ultra version, your transportation infrastructure most likely isn't sufficient for your city size.  I would guess that you have few or no subway lines in that case.  For a city of almost two million Sims, sufficient rapid transit is a necessity.  I would think putting in a few subway lines (or a few more) would help immensely.  More commuter trains and/or elevated trains would also help.  I have a city of the same size, and I'm able to run it with the Low capacity simulator with very little congestion.  But I have lots of subway lines.

ubjazzed

I just installed the radical ordinance mod and now any new zones built or roads are going unused. I played with the ordinances to get the folks to walking again but still get nothing. I understand it takes a while for the game to pick this up so I ran it at fast for over two years with no effects.

Built zones RIGHT NEXT to old zones and roads (city now at 250,000) and still don't get these new zones to start growing. Cut off all 'traffic ordinances' and how have traffic congestion RIGHT UP TO these new roads but they won't cross into the new zoning.

Any help?

j-dub

ubjazzed

Pull the plug. Rog.

Thanks for ending this aggravation.  :bomb:

Suggest any other mod to take care of the traffic and zone nightmare this has created?  :-\

z

Could you be a bit more specific about the problems you're now having?  Also, how big is your city?  Which traffic simulator are you using?

ubjazzed

Thanks for responding Z. Above post pretty much sums it up. After installing the Radical Ordinance Mod I could not get anything to grow from that point on. The city I'm working on has about 250,000 folks in it. I don't think I have any traffic simulators installed yet besides the new NAM. Very little else installed. Just lots and stuff.

I pulled the ROM as per J-Dubs suggestion and found that a lot of my roads needed to be reconnected. That's where I'm at now besides having to satisfy all these advisors hollerin' at me because of the mess that the Radical Ordinance caused.

z

If you're not aware of installing any traffic simulators, then you probably are just running with the default Maxis one.  Most people find this insufficient.  Rerun the NAM installation, but this time expand the tree labeled "Click + to select Traffic Controller Files."  Then pick one.  I personally would recommend "Simulator Z Medium" for you.

ubjazzed

THATS what that is for !! I saw it but still learning this thing. MANY changes since 3000. I'll give it a shot and holla back. You've been more help than a little bit so far.  &apls

What ARE these traffic simulators and how best to use them. Got a link?

z

Traffic simulators are actually just plug-ins with different parameters to the Maxis traffic simulator code.  Traffic simulators determine what routes your Sims take to work, what type of transportation they use, what the capacity of the various networks are, and various other things related to traffic.  All versions of Sim City have traffic simulators; it's just that before SC4, their characteristics couldn't be modified.  The most recent traffic simulators are A and B (which were released about a year ago) and Z (which was released with the new NAM).  You can find descriptions of these three simulators at the bottom of the stickies section of the NAM Creations thread.  Any specific questions about these simulators are best posted in their threads.

As you may have gathered, I have more than a passing relationship with Simulator Z...  ::)