• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What Does Your Name Mean?

Started by thundercrack83, June 04, 2007, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q-Tips

Q-Tips doesnt have any meaning for me. My real name is Eilif. I was rather active on the forum to sortitoutsi.net with my real name as username. The sites server went down, and they had to build it all up again. So when i had to registrate over again i found out someone already had taken my name. While figure out what my username should be, i saw a box of q-tips on the table, an tought that could be just as good name as any other.
And while becoming member on this site, i didnt see any reason to use any other username.

The meaning of my real name goes all the way back to viking time, as many Norwegian name actually do. And at that time Eilif meant the one who love the life and all that lives.  ;D

sobol

A Sobol is a type of Ferret.

I miss mine (R.I.P Boobie).
I've got nothing.

flame1396

Quote from: Shiftred on June 17, 2007, 08:30:47 PM
Just tell us where your  school is so we can get some lunch $%#Ninj2 ;)

You wont get jack without my Student ID card!  :P
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

jimmymac

Mine is actually quite simple. My real middle name is James and my last night starts with Mc, so it's was just something that I threw together, cos I was getting bored of stumc, which used to be my old username for lots of sites, as my first name is Stuart.

XiahouDun

Xiahou Dun was a general during the Eastern Han Dynasty and Three Kingdoms period in China. He served his distant cousin Cao Cao (Cao's father was related to Dun's father, however Cao's father was adopted into the Cao family), and was a model for dedication, loyalty, and modesty. If anyone is interested in reading some of his history, his Wiki has some good info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiahou_Dun
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

bixel

I LUV Romance of the 3 Kingdoms $%Grinno$%, I read up a lot on that stuff and I've played all of the games. Xiahuo Dun is a great general, I also liked Yuan Shao a lot for some reason, I think its a great name to pick, thanks for the info. Bixel means Master of the Universe and Most Awesomest Person in case anybody wanted to know.  :P

thundercrack83

Quote from: XiahouDun on July 06, 2007, 01:37:52 PM
Xiahou Dun was a general during the Eastern Han Dynasty and Three Kingdoms period in China. He served his distant cousin Cao Cao (Cao's father was related to Dun's father, however Cao's father was adopted into the Cao family), and was a model for dedication, loyalty, and modesty. If anyone is interested in reading some of his history, his Wiki has some good info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiahou_Dun

Interesting stuff, my friend! I'm glad you posted that link.

Pat

WoW some very intresting names here and the meanings to them is very cool...
keep em coming in - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

XiahouDun

Bixel, you just gained many awesome points for saying Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Everyone I tell about my name always references Dynasty Warriors :'( RotTK is the second best game series ever, so its good to see people who actually know about it ;D When I first picked this name at a site years ago, I almost took Li Dian instead of Dun, but ultimately decided on this.

Thunder, the Wiki isn't entirely accurate though. The section about his military failures is kinda biased, since he still had far more successes than failures. He didn't become the highest ranked general for nothing.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

StegSC

Steg is just an internet name I've been using for quite a while now, but when I joined SCC someone already had that name, so I added the SC (for Simcity, of course!). I just carried that name over.
Find my old CJs at Simtropolis-Link To Profile at ST

gautie53

"gautie" is a shortened version of "Gauteng".  Which is one of our provinces here in South Africa.  I lived there with my hubby for two years and loved the place.  On returning to my home province, ( Eastern Cape), my family used to tease me and call me "gautie". 

"53" is part of the year I was born. 1953.   ::) Now thats given my age away  ;D

beskhu3epnm

Just noticed this thread, thought I'd drop a line to settle the score once and for all regarding my forum name. As I have studied (only for like 3 months) Kernow (celtic language from Kernow, England) in highschool, I figured it would be neat if I could find a phrase to use over the internet (for e-mail, forums, etc.). Well, I happen to listen to Aphex Twin on occasion (electronic music), and around 2001, he released the album drukQs.

Well, I'll be darned if the track titles were written in Kernow. beskhu3epnm (track 14, disc 2) seemed to stand out for me, and I determined it to be "my song." Either that or nanou2, which sounds wussy.

I wasn't anticipating on contributing to any community anywhere, so it wasn't important to me to find a regularly pronouncable name. However....

Well the rest is history.

Using my mad skills at interpreting (and some help, and maybe a guess or two), the phrase translates more or less directly to "best be prepared" (beskt(h)zep - semi-silent z, just enough to get a hint of Z). If you are addressing me, just use beskh, works for everyone else.

Now I curse the name everytime I make a really good map release which is never.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Pat

:D  dont curse your name i like Beskh

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Zaphod

Zaphod Beebebrox, everyone's favorite space pirate! Voted the worst dressed sentient being in the universe

with an ego big enough for two . Maybe thats because he has a second head hidden in his collar....

War Kittens !?

thundercrack83

Quote from: beskhu3epnm on July 31, 2007, 07:44:36 PM
Just noticed this thread, thought I'd drop a line to settle the score once and for all regarding my forum name. As I have studied (only for like 3 months) Kernow (celtic language from Kernow, England) in highschool, I figured it would be neat if I could find a phrase to use over the internet (for e-mail, forums, etc.). Well, I happen to listen to Aphex Twin on occasion (electronic music), and around 2001, he released the album drukQs.

Well, I'll be darned if the track titles were written in Kernow. beskhu3epnm (track 14, disc 2) seemed to stand out for me, and I determined it to be "my song." Either that or nanou2, which sounds wussy.

I wasn't anticipating on contributing to any community anywhere, so it wasn't important to me to find a regularly pronouncable name. However....

Well the rest is history.

Using my mad skills at interpreting (and some help, and maybe a guess or two), the phrase translates more or less directly to "best be prepared" (beskt(h)zep - semi-silent z, just enough to get a hint of Z). If you are addressing me, just use beskh, works for everyone else.

Now I curse the name everytime I make a really good map release which is never.

So that's where it comes from! Very interesting. I do have a question, though. Does the "3" in your name and the song title translate in Kernow or was that just randomly thrown into the song title?

beskhu3epnm

thundercrack83,

The "3" in the name makes a 'th' sound, heavy enough to make almost a 'z', but not quite. Kind of hard to explain...! That character is no longer used in Kernewek which makes the name somewhat archaic... In studying the language, only the older verses contained 3's. Other numbers are used as well, (you can see this almost has Cryllic-type uses) but are rare nowadays as well.

Wikipedia: Kernewek
They only use IPA pronounciation on the site (the actual text used to spell words is not present), but it gives a good idea on how to pronounce words as well as the history.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Jmouse

Fun thread!
My first name is Joan (pron. like Joan of Arc), and my last name is Sherrouse (pron. sure-OUSE [which rhymes with house]).
Years ago, I received some junk mail addressed to Joanne Shermouse and the "mouse" part sort of stuck with me. I even have a little bean-bag mouse atop one of my monitors. At ST I used newsmouse-1 since I'm a retired newspaper reporter.
*Edit* The avitar is a drawing I made for Mouse It!, my (former) Web site which featured Adobe Illustrator tutorials.*

Until next time...
Jm

NASCAR_Guy

I'm a big fan of NASCAR auto racing.

I was actually going try to sign up as John Entwistle or John Entwistle Fan,bbut it wouldn't allow it for some reason.
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

thundercrack83

Quote from: beskhu3epnm on August 01, 2007, 03:40:20 AM
thundercrack83,

The "3" in the name makes a 'th' sound, heavy enough to make almost a 'z', but not quite. Kind of hard to explain...! That character is no longer used in Kernewek which makes the name somewhat archaic... In studying the language, only the older verses contained 3's. Other numbers are used as well, (you can see this almost has Cryllic-type uses) but are rare nowadays as well.

Wikipedia: Kernewek
They only use IPA pronounciation on the site (the actual text used to spell words is not present), but it gives a good idea on how to pronounce words as well as the history.

OK, that makes sense now. I didn't make the Cyrillic connection at first. Great stuff, though, my friend! I find languages quite interesting!

Gaston

Well, I suppose I should chime in here and explain my name as well.  ( A couple of people have already heard the reasoning )
   I am called Gaston in RL more often than my real name (Al).     I recreate the middle ages (you know, knights in shinning armor stuff) as a hobby.    It is a huge internation organization called the Society for Creative Anachronism or SCA for short.   It is non-profit and we do this crazy stuff for "educational" purposes.    Here is a link incase you wanna check it out> [ SCA ]
   Gaston LeMieux is the person I become while at these SCA events.    Roughly a 13th century Fenchman.   Gaston has a very long and interesting history.   I won't bother ya'll with it here though.   LOL     But I play around with a few other personnas as well.  The most bizzarre is probably the Japanese Ronin Samuri called White Dragon.   I have used Gaston since the mid 80's when I first got involved with the SCA so it was just logical to use it on line.   That is about it.   Pretty simple if you know any of the pieces of the puzzle.    ;D

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09