• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peacemaker23

if you are reading this, it means the unthinkable has happened_ i am a lurker  &ops
i cant remember when i joined SC4D, but hasnt been for too long...i only really read the MD's, i am a real noob at SC4 compared to most people and i just never felt i was good enough to post..i felt so alone cause everyone was part of their little teams and had all their friends and then i came in and i just felt like an outcast  %confuso
well i promise ill try and post more and be part of the community no matter how little my contribution is  ()stsfd()

xxdita

I think it's good to start out as a lurker. There is so much information to absorb, that it often takes a while to get caught up with it all.
No need to feel like an outcast Peacemaker, come join us in the Forum Games and get acquainted. Then as you have questions, about the game, or any custom content available here, just ask.

JoeST

The forum games are where all the action is at ;)... cause I am there ;) lol

and dont be afraid, thats a problem  I have in RL.. its poo

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

Peacemaker Hey I'm Pat and I want to let you know that there is really no such click or whatever here!!! We love anyone that post and says hi and that what makes this community sooo great!!!  Sure there has been a few problems but that happens in any community...   

I'm glad you are not lurking anymore and are not afraid to post!!!! To show you how lax this community is just ask for help and I can bet within an hour or maybe few someone will help you out and not make you feel like a NoOb about it...

I do agree with Nate aka xxdita and Joe aka Star.Torturer that the forum games is the best place to start out and that is where I think everyone does start... Heck I started there as well, it will also show you that we are all friends here for the love of the game.....

OK my verbiage is done now lol and again welcome to posting on Devotions!!!   BTW if you look in your profile it will tell you when you registered...   see you in the forums

patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Kpatrol88

&sly

Well now's a good a time as any for a first post...

Hello, My name is Kpatrol88 and I am a lurker.

Usually, I lurk a board because they often post topics which pertain to something I am interested in but do not have much experience in. Like many have said before me, I believe in the "watch and learn" philosophy. I find that if I cannot say beyond a single sentence on the subject or have some sort of relevant information on it, I stay silent and watch the posts go by, taking notes along the way. I guess you can say I'm easily intimidated by poster interaction.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy a thread, you just won't know I am.  $%#Ninj2

As a lurker, you can say I am well traveled. I've lurked many different boards of all walks in my time on the internet: the N-sider forums (before they went down),  System Wars at Gamespot (actually I was semi-active there in defense of the Big N), gamefaqs (*shudder*), NeoGaf, deviantart, somethingawful, and a multitude of web-comics forums (including *shameless plug* Megatokyo, a good comic *shameless plug*). Hell, I've lurked the Penny Arcade forums for over 8 years now to this day.

%wrd Heh, now I'm just rambling.

Anyway, I guess all that's left to say is...
Thank You, Nik. Thank you for giving us lurkers a chance to contribute to your fine community.
And a special thanks to those teams and people who do work tirelessly to make SimCity 4 the best it can be: NAM, CAM, BSC, jenoji,
...everyone.

We shall continue to do our lurking with honor in your presence! *salutes*

;) Who knows, we may post again...
A kind mayor knows to listen to the people, an effective one knows when to ignore them.
---
"YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!" ~Traffic Advisor-SC2000.

Pat

LoL Kpatrol88 you wasn't ramblin man at all!!! I actualy found a lot of useful information...  I think now that you are posting you wont stop as some have said before you and heck I was like that at one point and time lol... But anyways Kpatrol88 welcome to devotions and posting too  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

HandsOn

As many here can attest to, I am no longer lurking. I certainly did at STEX, because it makes it easy for the lurkers. But there was another reason for lurking, hiding: too many sites permitted flaming and downright abuse if you did not conform to the lingo or the prevalent mood. THus participation was not an option. Thus in some four years, I gushed maybe ten, twenty times, even though I was on-site nearly daily.
Besides, the lurkers outnumber the posters surely ten to one: there's safety in those numbers..

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

paroch

Hi to all lurkers,

I used to lurk all the time, but there's something about SC4D that makes it easy to be part of the community here.  And you know, post a comment or two in most of the MDs here and the author will always be polite (we love watching the post count increase!).

The picture competition is also an easy place to post.  Everyone has an opinion and all you have to do is say who you vote for, no need to even give a reason.

So, be happy you lurkers but feel free to say HI from time to time!

Paul

JoeST

Yeah, hola to the lurkers, A list of places you want to try out (cause they are all good):

- Forum Games
- Picture Competition
- MD section

These are all great places to start posting, I started in the games section, I am sure quite a few people have done, so you wont be the first, and wont be the last ;)

Joe

cameron1991

I lurk all the time.
I lurk here, at ST and I also do the occasional lurk around Deviantart (man theres some awesome stuff there!)
When I post, I like to say something more than "Great job! Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:", and give constructive criticism, like saying what I like about a picture, not saying that I just like it. But usually I cant think of anything better to say than that.

I dont lurk at my clans website and forum. Im not sure why, but I just post there more, maybe its just that we have more in common? (The sites called www.ozps3party.com and everyone has a PS3, hence the name  ;) also we are all from either Australia or New Zealand)

I dont lurk as much as I used to, but I still lurk alot....

Kpatrol88

:)

Thanks for the welcome Pat. I hope to become a more productive poster on these boards, or, well... at least a regular one anyway, heh.
A kind mayor knows to listen to the people, an effective one knows when to ignore them.
---
"YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!" ~Traffic Advisor-SC2000.

Meastro444

hello

not such a lurker here, but still, i rather watch and learn as the guy above me ;)

the only place i am active is on the simpeg bords (*cough* 2300 post *cough*)
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

JoeST

Maestro: your sig stats that resistance is futile... that is only true when it is less than 1 ohm... :P

Unassigned

As a newcomer & SC4 newbie I find I have very little to contribute...when I need to know something I search for it & always find postings by someone who has far more SC4 knowledge than I have (I haven't had a question which was not already answered somewhere either here on SC4D or on Simtropolis). So I lurk. And download stuff to enhance my SC4 game. And get wiser. As for contributing game enhancements, I'm not a graphics oriented person, so there (OTOH I currently have lots of free time on my hands so perhaps maybe in the future).

If I posted it would just be so much spamming & trolling & topic derailing attempts, I can be vey good at that, have done my part in forums humour. You want? I can deliver.  :P
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

tooheys

Unassigned. keep it on topic and add some humour, well go for it. I was a lurker for a long time. All I can say is if there is a post or thread that has impacted the way you play then let it be known. Ok, you may not be able to add a lot to the thread, but I can guarantee you that the author will be pleased to hear from someone he has helped.

So lurk away, but we are a friendly bunch, don't be afraid to add your 2c worth.

Cheers

Dave

Pat

Quote from: Unassigned on May 11, 2008, 06:03:42 AM
If I posted it would just be so much spamming & trolling & topic derailing attempts, I can be vey good at that, have done my part in forums humour. You want? I can deliver.  :P

LoL Unassigned I think by far that is the best statement Ive seen in a looooooooong time!!!  As long as its in all good fun and no harm intented then by all means deliver lol  ;D

Cosmic

I lurk alot on ST, not so much here, but a bit. Usually when I'm not in a social mood for the day... But I get over it pretty quickly...

I've pretty much been a lurker on ST since I joined it, about 2 or 3 years ago (earliest: mid-2004), but here, not so much (maybe a few hours a day when I'm on here, then I come up with something to say somewhere or another.)

I also lurk a bit on Peg's forums (I only have 16 posts there :P) and pretty much browse the exchange there and look along the side for new posts only during a day. (I'm beginning to post there too!) But now that I have 40 posts here (hooray! this post is my 40th), I'm beginning to get the hang of things around here... I'm a pretty nice guy in a general situation, yet I'm quite competitive in others... I'm a good team-player, and can follow directions pretty well in such cases...

yochananmichael

I used to lurk but recently I have been posting a lot more in my favorite MD 3RR and introducing myself to others on this site. So I guess you could say I am a "reformed lurker"
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

frdrcklim

I don't lurk in SC4D that much. I post when I want to say something. I go to Show us your... threads often and look but sometimes I don't say anything. When something wows me, I leave a comment.

I lurk more in simtrop but I still leave some comments. However, I don't use simtrop that much anymore for forums except CJs (and just to download too).

Yes, I admit I lurk on other sites especially those that I don't have an account on. I don't want to make an account, but I keep visiting anyways. ??? I won't tell what sites they are. It's kinda like my personal thing or something. I wonder if they ever get the feeling that they're being watched by the same person without them noticing it ???.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

CommodoreTech

I lurk far too much. I read loads of MDs and I think, "Pretty good," but I see little point in saying "Good update," cos I feel it's a bit pointless. I would suggest things but then I feel rude for doing so.
I would put an MD up on the forums if any of my cities remained.... (had a mahusive one... 6.7 million people, but the computer was wiped by a virus and it dissapeared....  >:( )
-Ben-