• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC - VIP team - Girafe's skills on the BAT

Started by Girafe, July 22, 2009, 01:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Found the perfect replacement for the track checker! Single-car tram in Helsinki with a very special purpose:  :bnn:

Might even take a stab at it myself assuming no one else is interested in making a Finnish pub tram though I don't know the track checker IID to override... Never made automata either but figure it shouldn't be that all tough for a single car if I can just adapt an existing model. Famous last words ;)

Badsim

Nice trick  ;D...  with an invisble engine , freight trains would look driving back to front in game :D , but would look good on pictures and on the proper track !!! ;D That's a pity that I already need an invisble caboose to fix my too long cars on curves .... $%Grinno$% ( and that the trick isn't possible with passenger trains ...)

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Girafe

Thanks for the comments  :)

Many changes in my private life, I went back to Europe and had to set up again with more or less of success.
Same with SC4, I had difficulties to run again BAT4MAX and I am working with temporary solution (Thanks to MGB).

I am matching the IDs of my TGV carriages which are still temporary (colors needs to be adjusted and 1st class and restaurant carriage needs to be added) to all the freight wagon versions. It takes quite some time especially with the night lighting but I wanted to share with you this image  ::)

Meanwhile, I was finishing the evergreen versions of the alders when I realized that I already used the 3d models for another species... So I had to find new models ant tweaked again the colors.
I am quite satisfied with the result, welcome to Girafe's garden  ;D ;D

And the 5 stages of the alders:

I am sincerely thinking about giving up on non evergreen models. I have the feeling that autumn / winter versions are rarely used and it seems modding seasonal props is a nightmare when not impossible. Adding on that, the time it takes to develop autumn versions and do seasonal modding. I am not sure it's worth. Let me know your opinion.

Small thing, to help sorting my flora in MM menu, I released quite some time ago, a flora separator but at that time, there was no Palm trees released. I think I will include it now  ::)

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

BartonThinks

I can't speak for anyone else, and it's not as if any of my lots have made it onto the LEX or STEX, but I really appreciate all of the seasonal flora created by yourself, CP, and other modelers. I use the Cascadia tree controller, so your seasonal models are a big part of my day-to-day game experience, and I use your seasonal flora extensively when creating my own lots. In particular, your seasonal berries, bushes, daisies, feather grass, and lupins are my favorite props for smaller flora. Also, I find that a lot of my favorite downloads from the LEX and STEX list your seasonal flora as dependencies.

I've never tried my hand at modeling (never mind trying to model flora), so I have no sense of how difficult it is to model seasonal flora. Also, the evergreen versions of your flora look exceptional to begin with, and if most other players stick with evergreen flora, the modeling and modding for seasonal versions might not be worth the time. But speaking just for myself, that extra effort is definitely appreciated.

Tyberius06

Hi!

Oh, that TGV looks good. It's sad that we can not make proper one, only faking the freight. But this looks good.

Hm... as much as I don't care about nightlights (they are nice-nice, but I don't play with night mode), I love the seasonal (also timed) stuffs. I'm generally using your seasonal flora on my lots (and in the following months I actually plan to update many of my previous lotting works from the versions where I had not used seasonal/timed props or in general your flora props.)
So on one hand I totally understand how time consuming creating these extra options (and the modding part too), but I would be really glad if you keep the seasonal versions coming too. :)

Anyhow keep up the good work!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

matias93

If you are interested on growing your garden, maybe you could take a pause from doing seasonal flora by doing some actual evergreen species? There are lots of conifers and some palms, but sadly most mediterranean evergreen trees are absent or represented by really early SD models, which don't match the style or even colours of the modern standards.

Whatever it be, your work is of so great quality that we will always be happy to see it!  :thumbsup:

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

art128

I personally only really take pictures in Spring and Autumn.... Autumn being my favorite season with its beautiful colors. The only season I don't use at all ingame is Winter, I just dislike that a lot.

If you don't want to make the other models then don't. Don't feel obligated to make then just because people want them. It's your time you're devoting to do it and if you don't want to spend it all modeling and modding all the seasons then I don't see why you should force yourself. Remember do things for yourself first.

As Matias said, if you are burned out of doing seasonal flora maybe you can try your hand at something else for a while? Maybe even retry some of the skyscrapers you started.......  $%#Ninj2 :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Badsim

Non mais je rêve... ::) ... toujours pas l'ombre d'une fougère en ce jardin...  :thumbsdown: (joke between us two  :P)

Glad to hear you're back in Europe, even if it's not the perfect timing for professional life (after my training program, I'm now unemployed;  at least, for the first time since 23 years, I can fully enjoy a ... masqued summertime !  $%#Ninj2  $%Grinno$% )

Alders will be a great addition for our streams and rivers banks and wetlands. Sorry to be categorical, but you're The Floraler and Mother Nature's Son, so; no, you're not allowed to release them with an evergreen version only. "$Deal"$  Are we still the VIP team or should I request the removal of this badge from my profile ?  ;D  I'll make seasonal MMP and props modding (frankly, most of all an affair of copy/past... ::) )

Quote from: matias93 on July 28, 2020, 04:52:10 PM

If you are interested on growing your garden, maybe you could take a pause from doing seasonal flora by doing some actual evergreen species? There are lots of conifers and some palms, but sadly most mediterranean evergreen trees are absent or represented by really early SD models, which don't match the style or even colours of the modern standards.

Excellent suggestion. :thumbsup:

TGV looks great. No question of seasonality here... but hey, they have various liveries !  :D

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Girafe

Thanks for the comments.

I tried to continue the modding of the TGV by matching all the IDs of the freight train cars to my TGV carriage however I am stuck.

I got the below list of IDs and matched all of them but still there is 1 freight car that is not matching. I cannot find its ID. I was thinking it could be 10A3XXXX as it's missing in the list but it's not working.

Something bothering me is as well 2 freight cars have the same IDs, is it a typing mistake?

Thanks for the help.

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Badsim

Salut Antoine,

This is the list of Maxis train freight cars I've worked with to replace them with some of my creations (for months with no issue):

It seems that firstly, 1133 & 1134 aren't on your  list...

Secondly, 10a3 is « mapped »:

Of course, if you intend to upload this, users will have to remove any custom train freight cars they would have uploaded ( from jestarr, JIM, Rivit, Muttley72 and maybe some others that don't know ...)

Allez, au boulot!  ;D

C.

Girafe

Merci mon Lapin  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It works well, indeed 1133 and 1134 were not on the list  &mmm
The Floraler

mgb204

Girafe only making non-seasonal flora... well that's certainly not what I'd choose if I had the chance, I love seasonal flora and although slowly, have been working on making it work with my entire game, i.e. Lots/T21s/MMPs/Tree Controller. However, like all modding, you need to create what it is you have a passion for, especially if burn-out is a consideration. As others have said, with models of the quality you are able to produce, any new models you release are something I'd download and find a use for. So if that means Evergreens only, I totally understand why. The level of fine-tuning your flora in particular is famous for, is surely not a slap-dash texturing approach and understandably time-intensive.

I would be happy also to mirror BadSim's offer to handle any modding tasks on your behalf, if that helps to ease the burden. I'm really happy to see you are still active here and that your motivation to create is still burning.

manga rivotra

I love your new Alders!  &apls &apls &apls
They go perfectly with your Elms which are part of my favorites thanks to their twisted and bent trunks.
The Tgv is also an excellent innovation. You prove again that everything you produce becomes instantly indispensable.
Thank you.  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Love it.

I'm happy with whichever flora you choose to produce (evergreen or deciduous).

Interestingly enough, nature itself usually makes evergreen versions of common deciduous trees.

For instance, the common deciduous European Alders (Alnus glutinosa) have a real life evergreen counterpart in the Mexican Alder (Alnus jorullensis); the same goes for beeches (fagus vs nothofagus) and many others like oaks.
Even rendered in HD, I doubt that any would be astute enough to distinguish between the various taxa, and like me, would just be really happy to have the good quality flora variety that you make.  :thumbsup:

Girafe

Thanks for your kind comments  :)

I am almost done with the day version of the TGV. I added a 1st class and a bar wagon.
Still need to tone down the red of the 1st class, remove the roof dirt redundancy and maybe lift down the pantograph in reverse engine  &Thk/( but I am happy to finally see a full high speed train in SC4 despite the weird modding  ;D

As shared previously, I created a palm category for my Mayor Mod (file on the LEX is now updated, same goes for the Canary date palms)  ;)

While, I took a break from the Alders, I decided to upgrade 2 old flora packs (Abies Grandis and Serbian Spruces). The color and saturation of the flora is wrong and could not be mixed nicely with other flora (mainly other pines). They are as well early flora that I made and look a little bit outdated. Moreover, they are the last 2 packs to not have props / timed props. Last but not least, I did the choice to name my flora by common names and not scientific names except for the Abies Grandis which I think I will rename Grand Fir.

I started with the Serbian Spruces, you can see the difference between old and new set:

but their color might be to close to the Common Spruces... Common Spruces / Serbian Spruces  &Thk/(

Regarding the Grand Fir, I still think they are too dark but I am not sure if I can do much better (alpha maps and 3D shapes dictate a lot the color tone for these models  &mmm), still WIP

:)

The Floraler

Tyberius06

Quote from: Girafe on August 02, 2020, 02:03:45 PM

While, I took a break from the Alders, I decided to upgrade 2 old flora packs (Abies Grandis and Serbian Spruces). The color and saturation of the flora is wrong and could not be mixed nicely with other flora (mainly other pines). They are as well early flora that I made and look a little bit outdated. Moreover, they are the last 2 packs to not have props / timed props. Last but not least, I did the choice to name my flora by common names and not scientific names except for the Abies Grandis which I think I will rename Grand Fir.

Hi,

The TGV looks pretty cool. Hm... I bolded above one of your thoughts, because I remember, that I couldn't find timed props for the Bushes too. Although, I might have overlooked something, but I remember that I made the props from the original models, then used your other flora seasonal prop settings to set the bushes up for one of my upcoming projects, because I couldn't find provided seasonal props for them.
Since you brought this up with regarding other of your creations, I thought, it's worth to mention. I found/made a solution, which is working for me, just though I let you know.

The updated trees are looking good. I love your flora creations, one of the best things in SC4...

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Girafe

Thanks for the comments and likes :)

Indeed Tibi, I thought I had done more LE props but few packs are still missing them including the bushes &mmm
I don't know if I will have the energy to do them  ::)

So far, the TGV was released on the LEX:

Same for the Serbian spruces V2:

Regarding flora, I developed the autumn version of the alders with a green / yellowish tone, something rarely available with my flora. LE props have been done and scaled down a little bit compared to MM to fit better urban environment and LOTing.

I was looking at finishing the rapeseed which were taking dust in an old folder and decided to develop few tractors and trailers.
I am thinking about timing them and include them as well for the wheat pack (already released).
Couple of testing pics:

The Floraler

Badsim

Quote from: Girafe on August 22, 2020, 04:21:30 PM

So far, the TGV was released on the LEX...

&apls &apls &apls

... and, thanks to your tremendous model, I've started to create my favorite version:

« Hey girls, hey boys, superstars DJ's, here we oui go! »(Listening to The Chemical Brothers  $%Grinno$%  :P  :D ) :

So far, all cars and engines are using the same FSH, but I'm gonna rework the 22 cars and   3 engines FSHs with roof and dirt variations: it should be the most realistic passenger train ever made for SC4. Have also resized it up, like all my other automata... To reply here to your question about catenaries, I'm using Citymax ones with 2 MMPs ( Single or Double track, with ortho, fractal angle and diagonal catenaries), I shared them in 2017, you'll find the link to download them on this page of my MD, end of post #2542... The ones you're using are electrified, are they from Stephen ?  ()what()

Other agricultural props are stunning too...  :thumbsup:

About alders, examplar 4 & 5 are problematic ; the bare trunks make them look like oversized and do not match at all with other flora...from my point of view. :P  Fall liveries will be a nice variation in your seasonal flora palette. :thumbsup:

Have downloaded Rapeseed field from our team Dropbox, but still haven't had the time to look at it... $%#Ninj2 

K+1 for that unexpected, unhoped and promising activity resurrection . :)

C.

manga rivotra

I love the details that make all the difference such as the projection of straw residue on the back of your harvester: superb!  &apls &apls &apls
And a big thank you for your Alders, perfect as always and with very appreciable original fall colors.  :thumbsup:

Girafe

Thanks for the comment and like.

@Cedric, as already said this OuiGo livery is cool  ;) and thanks for the details about the source of your catenary. Mine are indeed electrified and if I well remember the mod comes from Eggman but it's unfortunately not complete as it does not cover ploppable pieces and STR. However the poles are mine and were designed to fit perfectly the height of the cables from Eggman's mod. I will attached the model to this post if you need.

And thanks for the K point, they quite disappeared for a moment but it seems they are back  :)

First, I discovered 2 properties located in the file Automata_controller in NAM folder:
Communte train length / Freight train length.
You can edit these properties by setting a minimum and maximum of train cars (excluding the engine).
It's quite interesting for my TGV as I set the min to 7 and max to 7, so all my TGV are 8 cars long (the unrealistic 12 cars long trains are now over  $%Grinno$%).
Regarding this property for Communte train, it can be interesting for engine + 1 reversed car for small train.
Unfortunately, these properties are not available for other automatas as far as I know  &mmm

I continued to extend my tractor props collection, few extra and I will be able to time them for seasonal fields

I edited the grand firs with new texture, still a little bit dark but I guess I cannot do better. Maybe time to develop LE props  ::)

I am glad to collaborate with NAM team on some future and exciting project :)   ()lurker() ()lurker() ()lurker()

The Floraler