• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Mapper : Trouble at launch

Started by Quesh, January 08, 2008, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Builder

I'm sorry to hear your laptop was stolen I know how that feels, it's like a total invasion of your privacy and your life at least it was for me when mine was stolen now we have some tracker devices put on all our laptops around here so that they can be tracked if they ever connect up to the internet with them.

Anyway, that would be why it doesnt work with vista then since visats my documents are kept in C:\Users\CB\Documents  With the U in it Users unfortunately.

I wonder if there is a trick that can be done to change Users to something else in windows and have it know.  Or better yet just move my documents folder to another place like I use to in windows like move it to my F:\ drive as F:\Docs\My Documents might work, I'll give it a shot and see what happens with that.

Because the path to my documents was C:\Users\CB\Documents under windows vista so the only t and n and u are not in my username but in the path that windows vista uses.  Im moving my documents to my F drive  (specifically F:\Docs\ ) right now with none of those letter in it as far as i can tell so far so we'll see if that helps anything  if not no biggie I usually move my documents off of the C drive for safe keeping in case of a reinstall of the OS anyway.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

City Builder

I'm pleased to report that test was successful.

Moving my documents from vista to another folder that doesn't have the word Users or the other letters in them worked perfectly, my new documents home is F:\Docs and SC4Mapper loads up like it should.

THanks for the bit of wisdom regarding why it doesn't work, as it now works like it shoudl for me again!  WWhooooot! wHOOOOOTT!
  &apls   :thumbsup:    :sunny:

i'M BACk to importing maps since I didn't keep any from my XP install documents folder Im making all new citys in vista on all new maps again and now happily using sc4mapper to import them again.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Trackman20

Well crap........on my laptop I apparently only have a C: and D: drive.....no F drive.

I'm still stuck using the same old crappy default regions :(

City Builder

Quote from: Trackman20 on April 17, 2008, 07:10:04 AM
Well crap........on my laptop I apparently only have a C: and D: drive.....no F drive.

I'm still stuck using the same old crappy default regions :(

No your not.  Just move the my documents folder (Im assuming your running vista) to something like D:\Docs and that's that.  It doesn't have to be the F:\ drive, that's just my middle drive with the most space so I used that one.  Moving the documents folder anywhere even on C should work as long as you don't put any of the letters explained in the earlier post in the names of your folders, so keep it simple and move your my documents to like d:\docs or even just c:\docs and then give it a try.  If it still won't work for you, then just move them back to where they were although it doesn't matter where they are windows knows.

Trackman20

Do I copy "My Documents" or do I cut the folder and place it in my c:/doc folder? 

Sorry again for my ignorance........I just don't want to mess anything up.

Here is where my file is located for SC4Mapper............

"C:\Program Files\SC4Mapper\SC4Mapper.exe"

City Builder

No, right click on your MY dOCUMENTS folder and choose properties, then in one of the tabs there will be a spot that allows you to move it.  Therewill be a 'location" tab, it's in that tab that you can choose where to move it to.  If you don't do it this way, then no programs would know where to find it.

Trackman20

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Amazing

City Builder

Quote from: Trackman20 on April 17, 2008, 08:43:35 AM
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Amazing

Congrats, Im glad it worked out for you too.  Just remember when you're thumbing through your hard drive trying to find your My Documents folder it's where you just put it.  It always takes me a while to remember where I can find it if IM in windows explorer looking for it, although the MY Documents icon if you have one on your desktop will take you directly there, I just don't keep icons on my desktop.

Anyway, congrats, glad this helped more than me.

Trackman20

I'm going to work on my new region right away......this is very exciting haha.

spectrumtech

Thanks for the helpful comments Wou and CB. :)
:)
Pass on a smiley to everyone...

Pinoy31

Hi, I was reading the comments from above and I tried to follow what you said to move the sc4mapper to "d" drive, but for some reason I have Windows Vista, and under my properties to move there is no location tab, so i did is copy the folder and moved it to "d" drive. now its not working when I tried launching it. Did do something wrong?? my SC$mapper still on "C" drive under program files, and then I moved the folder and copied it to "D" drive and placed it under programs. ??? so did i messed up??

wouanagaine

I think the above comment was referring to move your 'My documents' folder to d:

It will not only help SC4Mapper or anything SC4 related, but it will prevent some nasty things if your c: drive get broken. At least you'll get anything "safe" even if you can't boot windows so you can safely reinstall vista without loosing all your stuff ( adress book, favorites etc for example )

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

sflights

Hmm, each time that I try to change the location of the documents folder to D:/My Documents, I get an access denied on my computer. Is there another way to do this?

skoobie

On most computers, the D: drive is the cd/dvd drive. If you know you have more than one hard drive, and one of those hard drives is the D: drive, then you shouldn't have any problems moving the "My Documents" folder. The drive letters used for your hard drives may be different; mine are C: (system), T: (torrents), Z: (backup). If you don't have multiple hard drives, then move the folder to the root of the C: drive (e.g. C:\My Documents). Never move the "My Documents" folder manually (i.e. cut and paste), as this will mess up a lot of things.

Here are the instructions again (CB was the first to post instructions):
Right click on the "My Documents" folder, then goto Properties. In the dialog box that pops up, click on the "Location" (under XP it's "Target") tab. Then, click the "Move..." button, and click yes to move your files. Then, click the "Move..." button, and select the folder that should become the new "My Documents" folder. Finally, click the "Apply" button, and click "Yes" in the message box.

PS: Sorry Wou, I have to say this as a fellow programmer; no user should have to resort to modifying their system, like moving the "My Documents" folder, to get an application to work. For myself and others to have to do this, just degrades the value of the application. With that said, in the future try and avoid such mistakes because you've created some excellent apps and contributed so much to the SC4 community.

Nexis4Jersey

i have a problem with SC4 Mapper , on vista it won't launch i follow the steps , and still didn't work >:( :bomb: Can't we just make a new SC4 Mapper version for Vista & Mac?  ()what()

anandus

Will it also work if I include the different folder in the Documents library?
Edit:
Including a folder (Like D:\Simcity) in the Documents library does not work, unfortunately :(

(I'm not really happy with moving 'Documents' out of the user folder. It's in the userfolder for a purpose, right? ;) )

bigdope404

Hello

I am having some problems with SC4 Mapper
Every time I load it I can see it running in the process Tab in the Windows Task manager.
However it never ends up loading.

The SC4mapper.exe says this
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 1006, in OnClose
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 1009, in ShowMain
  File "SC4MapApp.pyo", line 278, in __init__
UnicodeDecodeError: 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 25-26: malformed \N character escape
UnicodeDecodeError: 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 25-26: malformed \N character escape

My computer is a laptop with XP SP3

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nolan

wouanagaine

Dang, again that bug :(
to bad I can't fix that without the source like I fixed the loading of certain config.bmp files

Well try to move your "My documents" folder elsewhere like in root of the harddrive, it will prevent the problem

Quote from: anandus on February 16, 2009, 01:39:41 AM
(I'm not really happy with moving 'Documents' out of the user folder. It's in the userfolder for a purpose, right? ;) )
Windows will happilly fool you and you will still see it under userfolder in explorer, only if you ask for the real path, you'll see it is elsewhere
It is also a safe measure to move it elsewhere, on another drive, in case you have to reformat your OS drive you won't lost your 'My documents"

New Horizons Productions

anandus

Quote from: wouanagaine on March 04, 2009, 12:25:04 AM
Well try to move your "My documents" folder elsewhere like in root of the harddrive, it will prevent the problem
Windows will happilly fool you and you will still see it under userfolder in explorer, only if you ask for the real path, you'll see it is elsewhere
It is also a safe measure to move it elsewhere, on another drive, in case you have to reformat your OS drive you won't lost your 'My documents"
Oh, I know. I just want to preserve my userfiles in my userspace.
It's an old Linux-habit, I guess :)