• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Dat Packer

Started by wouanagaine, January 16, 2007, 05:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legoman786

Can the DatPacker successfully pack a folder with 2.35GB of data?

I'm trying to DatPack my BSC folder and it keeps telling me that it doesn't have enough memory to continue.

It has 4,359 files and 827 folders.

Analyzes the files, packs BSC.dat (it needs to go up to BSC005.dat, I've seen it myself), then hangs on that error.

It's really driving me nuts.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2701, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2358, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2450, in BuildIt
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2268, in WriteADat
WindowsError: [Errno 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

Before you ask how much RAM I have, it's 4GB. Windows Task Manager is telling me that I have 50% of it free. My hard disk has 136GB free, so I really don't know what the heck is going on.

Also, Win Task Mgr is reporting that the DatPacker is using ~690MB of RAM when it hangs.

Somebody tell me there is a fix.

Lowkee33

Well, there is a limit to the file size that SimCity can read, so your 2.4 gigs wouldn't be pakced as one file anyway.

Best to just datpack small sections at a time. 

legoman786

The DatPacker would split the files automatically. Thing is, when it finished packing the first file, it would hang.

I've found a workaround, of sorts. That is to split the folder into 2 (or more if needed) and DatPack the smaller folders.

z

Quote from: legoman786 on May 27, 2011, 08:17:52 AM
I've found a workaround, of sorts. That is to split the folder into 2 (or more if needed) and DatPack the smaller folders.

My Plugins folder is over 4GB, and so I have to do the same thing.  It seems to be required when you have huge folders.

However, I've had DatPacker split files successfully into at least three parts before hanging.  Do you have the latest version of the DatPacker?

legoman786

Yes, I grabbed the latest version off the LEX. This is my first time using it in the many years I've been playing SC4.

Rady

Hello

I run into a small problem: due to performance matters, I had to move my "My Documents" folder form drive C: to drive D:. However, the SC4 Deluxe installation remained on drive C,  as did the plugins folder. So basically I kept the old directory structure "C:\...\My Documents\SimCity4\Plugins" just for the SC4 plugins despite the official "My DOcuments" folder now resides on "D:\My Documents". Initially I inteded to move the plugins as well, but that caused problems with the SC4 DIC (Donwload & Installation Catalogue) I'm using.

Now when I start up the DatPacker, it per default looks into what Windows says to be the "My DOcuments" folder, which in my case is located on D-drive. That way, DatPacker get's the wrong information about what to pack. See screenie below.

Official "My DOcuments" folder as set up in Windows

"Old" location which is still used for SC4

That's how DatPacker recognizes the content of the D:\..\Plugins folder (the "wrong" one):

So, is there a possiblility to change the DatPackers folder presets?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

legoman786

There is!

If you navigate to the install folder of the DatPacker, there should be a config.ini file there. Use NotePad (or other text editing software) to change the plugins folder path.

Make sure you save it as an INI file though.

Rady

()sad()

Thanks, done that. I have the following in my config.ini file:

[Settings]
folder = C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\Peter\\Eigene Dateien\\SimCity 4\\Plugins\\Plugins_Compressed

Now in addition, to make sure DatPacker won't use the wrong directory, I added a "!_" to the SimCity4 and SC4Stuff folder in my "official" "My Documents" folder.

However, when starting the DatPacker, I receive the error message "It seems there is no subfolder in your plugins directory located at D:\...\"

So, DatPacker still seems to look in the wrong place. I also searched the registry but didn't find anything that would point to the D-drive ...

%confuso

Or is it that I'm completely wrong as far as the plugins location is concerned .. where are the SC4 plugins folder (SimCity 4, SC4 Stuff) expected to be? Do they have to be on the same drive like the game installation (C: in my case), or do they have to be in the "My Documents" folder as recognized by Windows (D: in my case)?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

legoman786

You might need to look up the simple versions of the folders then.

I'm going to assume you know how to navigate through the Command Prompt.

If you use dir /x, it will bring up shortened folder paths. IE: Documents is Docume~1 for me.

Try pulling up the shortened folder names for the entire path.

z

Or you could just take the easy way out and mount your SimCity 4 folder in the correct place on your D: drive.

legoman786

Quote from: z on May 29, 2011, 01:07:17 PM
Or you could just take the easy way out and mount your SimCity 4 folder in the correct place on your D: drive.

Yeah, but if everyone took the easy way, there would be no engineers/inventors/tinkerers.

And, that's coming from Mr. z himself. :o

legoman786

Is there a syntax to ignore a certain file?

Like I want to remove all of the *.ini files but leave the desktop.ini files (Thank you MS for doing this crap).

I have a Cleanitol file with *.ini but I do not want to get rid of the desktop.ini files.

JoeST

why do you wish to keep the desktop.ini's?
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

legoman786

I was having some installers crap out because for some reason the plugins folder was set to read only.

JoeST

that's probably remedied by making the parent folder's permissions nicer (as in %MYDOCS%/Simcity4/ should have the desktop.ini, the subdirs should be fine)

Else, you could try 'deleting' the plugins folder and using said installers to actually create the directory.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Lowkee33

I would do a windows search for ".ini" on the plugin folder.  Non-desktop.ini files could be deleted pretty quick, and the cleanital could have *.ini removed from its remove list.

Quote from: legoman786 on June 08, 2011, 12:00:56 PM
I was having some installers crap out because for some reason the plugins folder was set to read only.

Or does this mean that you have corrected that problem?

legoman786

@Joe:

I researched and tried for about 2 weeks straight. It's a nifty 'feature' that MS had made bulletproof when you're on a HomeGroup network.

@Lowkee:

Yes, my resolution was to have Windows make the desktop.ini's in all folders of the plugins directory, including the root folder. :\

EDIT: More reading Change file/folder attributes?

eagle1

I am really new at all of this even though I have had the game since it came out. However, I have problems. I followed everything you said here and everything went great untill I tried to get into a city, even a new one.. Game just locks up and kicks me out.. I am trying to run the Damn Menu, will or does that effect it ?.,

joker09

Is it possible unpack this created dats (plugins compressed) folder?
I update some lots/bats and I wish delete some old bats, check what I have and why some icons on my menus are duplicate or do not showing.

Gringamuyloca

@ joker09

I only know Ilives Reader to 'open' a .dat file. (you must be registered separately on the LEX to see the download button)

This program requires patience to learn and a great deal of research / knowledge to use well, but there are many fine tutorials and helpful people to help you accomplish your 'task'.  :thumbsup:

Better yet, if you made a back up of your plugin folder before you 'Dat' packed, use that  back up folder to make your updates/ deletes, back it up again and then dat pack. (Don't forget to back things up before you change them! Some things are time consuming to redo.  $%Grinno$% )

Please post back if you need more information.  :thumbsup:

Tamara