• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Radius meaning

Started by deanva, January 04, 2020, 06:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanva

When I was looking at a regional hospital in Simtropolis in the description it gives a radius of 2800. What are they measuring for the 2800?

xxdita

It's hard to believe that anything was actually measured. Most likely, whoever created the lot wanted to provide coverage for an entire city tile.

This is probably more realistic than Maxis values, as most cities have Regional Hospitals serving the entire community. Larger cities still need more than one hospital, but that allows for specialized needs as much as it does basic coverage.

mgb204

When modding lots like this, we have a number of properties that determine how they function, one of those is "Hospital Coverage Radius", which has been set for this lot at 2,800. This should represent the distance in Meters from the centre to the outside of the circle that represents the radius the hospital covers. A large city tile is 4,096m squared, so setting this value should ensure regardless of where the hospital is placed, it still provides full coverage to the city.

deanva

Thanks mgb that does help a lot when either Batting or looking at ones already done.

mgb204

I've played with the Radius for Police, Fire, Hospitals and Education quite a bit. I never liked the sheer number of each of those buildings you need to have in SimCity games. In fact, it's by far and away one of the best features of SimCity (2013), that you can expand all such utilities, rather than have to build huge numbers of them. But there are some hard limitations in terms of how big both the Radius and Capacities can be, thankfully though they are sufficient to greatly reduce the number of such services needed to keep a successful city. I don't think it's possible to make a Fire Station cover much more than 1,000m or a Hospital more than 4096m, otherwise I recall things get quirky. But changing all such lots in this manner is not so difficult or time consuming. The worst part is avoiding the Phantom Slider Bug, which will be triggered if you don't remove the existing lots from your save files, before you update the Properties of the Lot's Buildings Exemplar. If you want to apply such changes to existing regions, it can be a lot of work.

Just thinking about this, I guess too it couldn't hurt to put such items through PIM-X to re-calculate the other properties, before modifying them further. Given that it has a much improved set of values for Police Stations, that might apply to the other Utilities/Civics also.