• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

UPDATE LVII
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
26 November 2017

Back at it quickly here on Sunday evening. Just a small showing of the area around Papillon Quay, and Le Palais des Papillons...

More to come...I hope!

Nanami

Wow this became unseen to me for some reason. but Its glad to see older MD here.. Great return here.. hope to see more!

thundercrack83

I was playing around a bit with the actual "region" of the Commonwealth of Marathon for the last bit, and some changes emerged...

From 2014—

This region was 9x9 large tiles, with the Island of Marathon and adjacent western coastline in medium tiles, to the tune of 4x6.

Now, almost in time for 2018—

The region has significantly expanded to the west-southwest. The northeastern part of has remained relatively untouched, but I decided to make things larger to add some elevation changes that I always felt that Marathon's region lacked.

I'm working on a new regional map with first-level administrative divisions now, hopefully, it will be done soon!

Enjoy!

art128

That's a very nice looking expansion of the region! Which tools did you use to make it? Specially the mountains, they're very well made.

Would be nice to see some reworked transports infrastructures in marathon, like using the RHW and RRW too. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

feyss

I would need more than a life to fill all that map  :D

I like it, it looks quite realistic  :thumbsup:

Seaman

Quote from: feyss on December 28, 2017, 07:09:47 AM
I would need more than a life to fill all that map  :D

It's something I would plan for when I retire...

anyway, the mountains look great! I wonder how the Marathonians connect their highway system to the continent? An alpine pass perhaps? Or a bold tunnel?

kbieniu7

Hi Dustin! I missed your first comeback post, but I'm really happy to discover that you decided to post there anew  :thumbsup:

Regarding updates: region expansion... well, I repeat feyss and Seaman, seems for me like one would need to spend their entire life to fulfill it with such roads, buildings and stuff. Anyway, I'm waiting to see your developements there. More downtowns and suburbs? Or maybe more of such miracles like "countryside versions" of butterfly palaces? ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

thundercrack83

Arthur (art128): Thanks! I downloaded a few different regions and then just roughly arranged them in the game how I wanted them, then used the Terraformer to get everything uniform. It took some time, but I think I got something that I'm happy with! The transportation networks will definitely be one of the top priorities—but first I have to learn how to use the RHW/RRW properly! It's a little overwhelming for me, to be honest! But, I'll get there!

feyss: Thank you! It will definitely take a lot of time to fill up, but at least it keeps me busy! Hope to see you again soon!

Seaman: I'm still trying to work out how the highways will connect and where! Just another one of the fun challenges the game presents!

kbieniu7: I'm sure that I can get some more butterfly palaces in there throughout, there's more than enough room! I have some ideas for expansion in my head—more downtowns, suburbs, farmlands. We'll see where things take us!

Well, just when I thought that I was happy with the new region map, an accidental bump of the counter-clockwise button later, and I had an epiphany...

It was a little confusing at first, because I was so used to the original orientation, but now, I like it! Of course, it's merely cosmetic. Redoing the entire region so it matches in the game is a project that does not sound like much fun to me at all! Then again, stranger things have happened!

More on this to come!

thundercrack83

So, I have been trying my best to acquaint myself with the intricacies of the RHW...

I have to say, it is much more daunting and intimidating than I had originally thought! Just that simple little interchange I made above took me about 40 minutes to make!

I'm not even sure what a lot of the pieces are, let alone how they fit together, so it is going to be a looooong journey and a steep learning curve, I believe.

We'll see what happens!

brick_mortimer

RHW does have steep learning curve, I nearly always draw out a diagram on paper before I start (and try out some parts in my most used city called "Test" :D)
But once you start creating awesome interchanges, it's totally worth the effort and time.
Have fun experimenting!
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Looking good! RHW does take some practice, but it's straightforward once you get the gist of it.
If you have a tablet/i-pad; there are some great how-to you-tube videos put out by the NAM team that I would watch concurrently while running SC4 on my desktop until I got the hang of them, or you can just run them in back-ground and toggle between the two.
The 'show us your intersections' threads are always a good source of inspiration....although I have yet to get to that level!

Sciurus

Nice ! And I undertsand your "fight" with the RHW... I got the same ! All these pieces... they scare me... :-\
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

feyss

Well, there is a beginning to everything and it's a good one  ;)

thundercrack83

I think I'm starting understand things a little bit more...

Tried my hand at a local-express situation—

With the transition into one carriageway...

I'm sure that there is a better, more realistic, and/or more eye-pleasing way to accomplish this, but I'm learning as I go!

And tips, tricks, changes, suggestions, scoldings, etc., are more than welcome!

dedgren

Well, well, well...

Excellent!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

art128

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 01, 2018, 09:18:10 PM
I'm sure that there is a better, more realistic, and/or more eye-pleasing way to accomplish this, but I'm learning as I go!

May I suggest using the FAR RHW to do these ramps?

Still great to see you try your hand at the RHW. If there was one thing from Marathon i didn't personally like was that you still used the Maxis Highway System. :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: art128 on March 02, 2018, 12:57:12 AM
May I suggest using the FAR RHW to do these ramps?

That would require some Type C1 Inside ramps, which don't currently exist. I'm sure someone on the team has them on their agenda, though...

Glad to see you're still at it in Marathon, Dustin! Your recent foray into the RHW is up to the same high standards that I remember from this MD's youth.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

kbieniu7

I keep my fingers crossed for your "lessons" of RHW ;) It could be quite a headache, indeed. Personally, I have never build any wider highway than RHW-8, I'd probably lose my mind if I tried to do some more wider and complicated setups!

If I could give you a hint after looking at your first junction, remember, that now there are also 7.5m-high viaducts!  :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

thundercrack83

David (dedgren): Hello, old friend! It's always great to hear from you! I hope all is well! Thank you for your encouragement!

Arthur (art128): I agree, I'm not a fan of the Maxis Highway either! Thanks for your tips and support, as always!

Zack (woodb3kmaster): Thank you so much, my friend!

kbieniu7: You're right! The RHW can make your brain start to hurt, but I definitely mean that in a good way!!!

UPDATE LVIII
R(eally) H(ard) W(ork)!
3 March 2018

I am starting to get a better grasp on the RHW, but it's still a lot of trial and error. But, finally, I think I've got the first interchange that I can actually incorporate into a highway network for Marathon.

I'd like to give a quick thank you to Haljackey, whose work I have been studying for days now!

Anyway, here goes—

Things are still in the early stages, but I am starting to get more comfortable with everything. We'll see how things go!

Let's continue!

Badsim

Hi Dustin , :)

How experienced I am , I've been unable so far to find the patience to build something with these puzzle pieces  $%Grinno$% , for sure it requests some kind of mathematical/geometrical/logical ( call it as you want ) aptitudes that I haven't ... so to see how you're progressing is interesting . &apls  Great to see you're able to devote some time to SC4 and your MD again , :thumbsup: ,  and great too to get there a sign of life from David ! ;D

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °