• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Archipelago - Update 30 - Eddington

Started by kodlovag, August 13, 2010, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbvc

kodlovag

Replies

kalvar,  marsh,  nbvc: Thank you guys

Update 9 - One more mosaic

Last mosaic of this city. Hope you like it, and please comment.

Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

Terring7

I like cities with plenty of green spaces :thumbsup:
Just an idea, replace some of the empty green places with trees, trail parks, ponts e.t.c.. This will make the city looks more naturalistic and may bring more Sims.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

rooker1

Awesome mosaic.  I like the transit layout....nice and complex but still makes sense.
Great work!

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

peter007

I just like your MD  ;)
It's always beautiful to see some mosaics roaming around

nedalezz

That's an AWESOME mosaic! I really like how you've used the HK BATS so well, they really suit the surroundings!

cubby420

Very cool mosaic! Your layout is expertly done and very believable. I'll agree with Terring's suggestion of more trees and parks though. It could add that little extra splash of life that seems to be missing.

kodlovag

Replies

Robin (rooker1): I laid down the networks before I started to build zones. I spent a lot of time with it.

peter007, nedalezz: Thanks

Terring7, cubby420: Well, you're right. I'm weak at building parks, but trying continuously. At this moment I think I simply don't have the necessary custom content, or I don't know how to use it to reach the target. I studied many other MD to learn this. I will focus more work on parks in my following cities.

Update 10 - Rural part of the region

I already showed a lot of image about the CBD of the region, but there are less developed areas in the region too.

Small beaches

Extensive suburban areas with fast network connection to the city center

Small cities near the highway

And large areas are waiting for development or asking for conservation.

And finally the smallest community in this region

marsh

Awesome pictures! And I like how you made the highway interchange.

One thing, you should be careful with the PEG Beach things. They have caused Prop-Pox in 2 people that I know regions.

And one quick question; Where did you get the houses in the last pic?

kodlovag

Replies

marsh: Thanks. These days nobody makes normal highway interchanges, but I think RHW is not so much better than Maxis highway, especially if we are talking about interchanges. The houses on the last pics come from three sources: Some 1x1 lots from Maxis. That's easy. Other 1x1 lots made by c.p., you can find them at the LEX, Early 19th century houses, R$$. Remaining 1x2 lots were done by Diamond 1x2 Lots for Somys houses.

Update 11 - Region view

I show you the final state of this region, both normal and transportation map. On the transport map yellow lines are tram and elevated rail lines, while the purple is HSR.
Images have large version (2756x1196), click to zoom in. They are not so large, less than 300kB.

rooker1

I like seeing regional views, it's a great way to compare progression.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

RickD

The region looks really good. You have done a good job with the transition from high rise to rural.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Blakeway

MR.Y

looks good(but the blue sings just are used at Highways &scl() but looks great. How have you do it that the Coaches of the HSR look like they should? at me they looks so....what I have to do?

x-ten

thundercrack83

Hello, kodlovag!

You've got some fantastic stuff going on here, my friend! It's a pleasure to check out your work. I will be popping in again, that's for sure!

Take care!

Dustin

marsh

The region looks great!  :) Also thanks for the link. It was the SOMY one I was looking for. Thanks.  ;)

,marsh  :thumbsup:

i_love_lamp

kodlovag

Replies

Robin (rooker1), Raphael (RickD), Blakeway, x-ten, Dustin (thundercrack83), marsh, i_love_lamp: Thank you guys for your support and comments. Now we set a new record for this MD, 8 replies for a post. Keep commenting

MR.Y: Well, I know there is a huge amount of signs at simtropolis, but I only have blues. No. The true reason is that our factories can only process blue colors. No. The only true reason is that our city planner, who was responsible for safe transporting, was actually color-blind. These are the rumors, but nobody knows the truth.
I sent you a private message about the Virgin train.

And now, lets take a step. I really liked the Archipelago region, but I found it is so different from cities I see here in Europe. So I decided to collect new buildings and mods. I will start a new region and will build it in true W2W style, without Maxis buildings. (I will only keep industry) My goal is to replace all the four building sets with a new W2W set. Not so easy, than it sounds. We need all combination of R-Cs-Co / $-$$-$$$ / Stage 1-8 buildings and lots. For all the 4 building sets. That requires hundreds of buildings and lots. But it is possible to do it.

I decided to make the following four styles:
Boston: These are old US style buildings, most similar to Chicago style in game. Probably I will keep some Chicago building for this set.
Amsterdam: Dutch and UK style buildings.
Wien (Vienna): Mix of buildings from France, Germany and Central Europe.
Mediterranean: Southern European style from the Mediterranean coasts.

At this moment there are only low and mid size buildings in the sets, this is primarily because skyscrapers are very unusual in Europe. But later, when there is enough demand in the region I will add them.

Of course these sets must be tested first before use. At this first post I will show you the starting phase of the Test Region, created only for testing the building sets. No any special mods, just the buildings. Not even the NAM installed. And here comes

Update 12 - The test city of Boston building set

Please do not expect any city beautification in this early phase, no mods are installed to do it. This is just for testing the buildings.
First picture shows the suburbs. Mainly CP's early 19th century houses.

And the first mid-rise buildings

At this point I break the rules. And put the first mod in. A self-made sidewalk mod to improve the scene.

And then a building set selector mod.

This is the beginning of the Boston test city. As you can see, it is very strong in the $ line, and week in the $$$ line, but it is a full set. (Except CO stage 1-2, I forced to keep the maxis ones)

Finally here is the region view. One city for each building set.

What do you think? Please comment.

peter007

Nice but could you zoom in in your sidewalk mod it sounds interesting to me.