• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

REPLIES

art128: Thanks! Hopefully you'll like this new update just as much.

kj3400: I'm glad you like what you see. This may be more of a trip down memory lane for you, but if you still like Nyhaven now, I'm sure you'll still like what's comeing up.

Piotr: Yeah, the Tube is pretty awesome. That being said, I hope you'll enjoy Update 3 even more than Update 2!

Zaphod: I'm actually writing from a historical perspective, as if the year were about 2370. That's when the city engineer that you'll meet in a few updates comes to work for Nyhaven. Nevertheless, I'm assuming modern technology.

bat: Thanks! I'm sure Update 3 won't disappoint you.

GreekMan: I'm glad you're not too bored with these repeat updates. Once I'm done posting them (which I expect will be in January), we'll pick the story up right where we left it at ST. And as for copying updates, yes, I copy and paste them from the Edit Post window, but I have to type in the image URLs afterward because of the way the ST post-editor works.

These were times of change in Nyhaven; a lot of growth was going on in every facet of life in this provisional capital. Nowhere was that more apparent than in the city's ever-expanding commuter rail system. Until now, the Columbia River Railroad had been content with their heavy rail operations through Nyhaven; however, the railroad's managers saw how many commuters were walking from their platforms at Nyhaven Central Station to Isaiah Rittenberg's adjacent Hill Line station and knew they stood to gain a lot of money by entering the light rail scene. Using some extra space in their own station's basement, and with some deep-level tunneling, they established their own subway line, the Central Line:

At its start, the Central Line was a simple service between Central Station and Markus Chevalier's City Hall station, which the railroad owners paid him to expand for their use. This put the railroad in direct competition with Rittenberg, since his Hill Line ran between the same two points just a short distance to the east. However, he was focusing his attention elsewhere for the time being - on his newest line, his foray into the all-underground market. Rittenberg named his new line after Saint Mark's Square, which this new line passed near, with a station just a block away:

Saint Mark's Line was intended to serve the new suburbs being built along Broadway and was originally a spur off of the Eastern Line; it was an immediate success. With all the extra capital this brought him, Rittenberg built another, more conventional line to the growing industrial areas at the city seaport. Rather than add to the growing chaos near City Hall, though, he routed it through Midtown, intersecting the Hill Line. Below is the station he built where 15th Street turns into 8th Avenue:

Of course, all this urban growth meant that the existing lines had to keep up through expansion. Many of the new arrivals to Nyhaven had heard of the city's excellent public transport and wanted to ride it themselves. As the new neighborhoods went up, then, the light rail followed. To the north went the Hill and Central Lines; the extended Hill Line is shown first:

To the east, Chevalier extended the Green Line, bringing it to the royal palace; at the same time, Saint Mark's Line was extended southward into Midtown, meeting the Port Line.

Some years later, with trouble looming elsewhere, the Columbia River Railroad found themselves needing extra capital. Johannes Chevalier, grandson to Markus, happily bought its Central Line, which benefited his organization with some much-needed new ridership. After allowing some time for the fares to collect in his coffers, it was time for a new line to be built. This time, though, it seemed the competition had died down with the Rittenbergs; Johannes found himself in the surprising position of having to cooperate with them, since the intended path for his Crosstown Line needed to use some of their stations. Here, for example, it passes through the Avenue A/Skamokawa Road station on Saint Mark's Line, near the city's country club:

At the same time, Chevalier extended the Central Line south from City Hall into Midtown; the two lines would cross right next to Rittenberg's Port and Saint Mark's Lines, creating a new major junction:

I mentioned chaos at City Hall station earlier, and I meant it. With all these new citizens, peak hours were madness at the station, with many passengers changing trains there; they had no choice as of yet, since no orbital line existed and there were few direct transfers possible between lines. Here's an overview of the station's area and the lines that pass through it:

Both train moguls knew a downtown loop was needed, but neither could build it on their own; in fact, many wondered if they even had the resources between them to do it. With that in mind, they met with successful businessman Augustus Brown, who helped them merge their organizations into a single municipal entity - Nyhaven MetroRail. Now, with city funds at their disposal, work could begin on the much-needed Loop:

The Loop brought some relief to City Hall, though not as much as anticipated. It seemed another option was needed... Keep following this MD to find out what the city comes up with!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Sheep49

Nice subway system! You've really taken inspiration from Tube! I really enjoy this update :thumbsup:
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

kj3400

Wow! That's a lot of subway. Do you think you could show us a map of the system soon?
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

bat

Nice work on the subway lines! And the pictures of your city are looking great! :thumbsup:

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

south park

nice subway system and good work but that's not realistic to make a subway system passant-by a residential area !! &mmm
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

woodb3kmaster

REPLIES

Piotr: Yes, I definitely have. Thanks for reading!

kj3400: Thank you! As a matter of fact, the update in this post contains a subway map. I hope you like it and can get a sense of how big the system really is!

bat, Simpson, Arthur: Thank you very much!

south park: Am I right to assume you're referring to the el-rail lines shown above? While the elevated structures may seem out of place, in RL, engineers include grade separations (such as tunnels and elevated stretches of track like these) in areas where ground-level tracks would, for instance, cause gridlock. Nevertheless, grade separations are expensive to build, so tracks are built at ground level as much as local traffic patterns allow. Also, these particular parts of Nyhaven, although low-density when I took those pictures, have since become denser, as you'll see in future updates. Those el-rails look much more appropriate now.

Nyhaveners were sad to see the king and Parliament move to Kendall in 2080, but it had little negative economic impact on their city. By now, you see, there were all kinds of job opportunities in the growing media industry, which had no interest in following the government to its new home. Among the first of these arrivals were the movie studios:

While the Pacific Northwest may not seem like the best place to film, most of the work was carried out in sound stages. The new studios attracted many new businesses to the area surrounding their backlots in the northern part of town, resulting in thousands of new jobs.

Television studios followed soon after. Three of the biggest studios in Lower Columbia are headquartered downtown; their studios and offices are labeled below:

But were the visual media the only ones in Nyhaven? Hardly! Even before King Edward called his legendary constitutional convention, the Nyhaven Sentinel, the city's oldest newspaper, was printing the latest headlines from various offices. The government's arrival prompted their expansion into their current building, in the center of the following image:

The inevitable result of all these new jobs was growth in the suburbs. In 2082, the city council approved a plan to build a ten-square-mile area surrounding Rossmore Lake according to a grid pattern. Having learned from their mistakes with development around Lake Adams, however, they made sure to designate a couple hundred acres around Rossmore Lake as a park. The local residents have been thankful for that decision ever since. Ultimately, development in the area looked much like the following blocks just east of Rossmore Lake Park; the lake itself is visible at the top of the image:

As Nyhaven grew, however, the city council recognized that they had to maintain a reasonable balance between development and open space. With that in mind, they laid out a plan for a huge belt of parkland which would form a semicircle around the city, centered on City Hall. It was intended that new parks would be landscaped as development approached them. The centerpiece of this new plan was Ridgeland Park, a two-mile-long formal garden just east of the expanding Rossmore Lake district. Different kinds of trees from the region were planted along its paved paths, two large pavilions were paved for public gatherings, and a grand fountain was built in the expanded median of Main Street:

Other parks were designed on a more practical basis, with sports facilities; Dawson Park, just south of Ridgeland Park, is an example of this design:

In all this growth, providing adequate transportation was paramount. Not only were the existing rail lines extended eastward, with the Eastern and Green Lines adding their first spurs; a new Parks Line, the system's tenth overall, was built a couple of blocks west of the new park belt to carry residents to the new Heights Industrial Park to the south. It was strategically designed to intersect the existing lines at their stations; here, you can see the Parks Line's stop at Avenue J and Dobson Parkway, where it intersects the Eastern Line's spur:

Ultimately, though, light rail proved to be insufficient. More and more Nyhaveners were driving now, and they needed a new way to drive from their homes to their jobs. Therefore, the city appealed to the federal government, which responded by establishing the Ministry of Transportation and building the first freeways in metropolitan Nyhaven. As part of this new highway system, a beltway was constructed around and through existing development. To minimize its visual impact, much of the beltway was built in a landscaped trench:

Other sections, though, were built elevated, like this stretch north of the city:

Some 60 years after the government left town, Nyhaven was bigger than ever, with almost 450,000 inhabitants:

The transit systen had grown accordingly, as this period map illustrates:

Until next time...

Nuclear City - 5/8

GreekMan

loving every part of the updates zack. Can;t wait for more updates in the first person view
Recreation: San Diego County
Rebuilding America's Finest City!
Visit my MD today!

kj3400

It all looks good: the freeways, the map, the parks. Looking forward to next week.
Visit

Pat

Hey Zack great last 2 updates here and I love the maps there real great job!!! I cant wait to see whats happing next!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

That are some nice new pictures there! And the transit system map is also looking beautiful! :thumbsup:

woodb3kmaster

REPLIES

GreekMan: Thanks! The first of those first-person updates will be posted on November 20.

kj3400: I'm glad you like what you see!

Pat, bat: Thank you!

The success Nyhaven had been enjoying was representative of a larger trend. All over Lower Columbia, the economy was getting better each year. Soon its citizens had better lifestyles than those of most first-world countries! Naturally, this drew a lot of attention from those less fortunate people who wanted to better their conditions. They poured into the kingdom from across the globe; in Nyhaven, they arrived at the Fourth Street Docks, one of which has been converted into a cruise ship terminal:

The following satellite view of the city should help you place the neighborhoods we're about to visit, as well as compare their distances from downtown and the other important sections of Hunters Island. The astute will notice several new skyscrapers downtown, which should suggest the kind of growth Nyhaven has experienced of late.

Many early arrivals to Nyhaven came from China; they carved a niche for themselves out of a few blocks between downtown and midtown:

While most Chinese moved into existing tenements and apartments, some built homes that reminded them of their old homeland. Unique shops and restaurants followed soon after the immigrants, enriching some.

The Italians found an area north of Nyhaven Central Station to their liking. Most of them arrived around the same time as the Chinese. Rittenberg Street - or, as it's known locally, Corso L'Italia - quickly became the center of their society, with its shops, church, and civic services.

Not far to the east, the Russians moved into what soon became known as "New Moscow" - that's Novaya Moskva if you're in the area. The brick walls and gilded onion-domes of Saint Cyril's Orthodox Cathedral have been a community rallying point for generations; the nearby cafés of University Avenue offer the best borscht and stroganoff in town.

Meanwhile, closer to midtown, a growing Korean population took root. They too built a church, though it isn't recognizable as one; it more closely resembles a pagoda. Koreatown's proximity to the nascent entertainment district in midtown has ensured high tourist patronage at its stores.

Along the riverside is Nyhaven's highest concentration of Jews. While traditionally a Chrisitan city, Jews have always been welcome, as the size of the Jewish Quarter attests; the local synagogue is regularly packed to capacity on Shabbat, and gatherings overflow onto the street during holidays.

A later arrival were the Arabs, who live in the borough of Little Baghdad. They found Nyhaven quite welcoming in comparison to the persecution they faced under Islamic sharia laws. As in other ethnic neighborhoods in town, the local church remains a focal point of community life.
NB: While it may seem strange to some of you that Arabs would go to a church, there really are populations of Christian Arabs in the world; Little Baghdad's population is a fictitious example.

Across the small channel that divides midtown from the mainland, the Japanese immigrants set up shop. New Nippon, as it is called, was one of the few ethnic communities to have a dedicated subway stop within it; trains on Saint Mark's Line stop here on their way between downtown and the Heights industrial park. This neighborhood has perhaps the most buildings patterned after old-country edifices out of all of Nyhaven's communities.

Finally, we come to Spanish Town. Even further north than Little Italy, this is the most recent ethnic neighborhood to be established. The small square at its center is always bustling, filled with local families and vendors.

The update at ST ended here, but I added new information later, when GreekMan pointed out that I had left out the most important neighborhood of all - Greektown! I quickly corrected that mistake, posting the picture below.

Nuclear City - 5/8

Sciurus

Il love the satellite :thumbsup: pic but the city is not very good :

Terraforming: there isn't enough in my opinion
BATs: you should download more BATs, becouse it's too "Maxis", if you understand what I mean ;)

Other it's not too bad! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Constructive criticism is more than welcome, however just putting people's work down is not. How can he change things? Please use common courtesy. - Dustin (thundercrack83)
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Fatsuhono

I really love the city! However, I think more custom BATs and seawalls would do some great. :thumbsup: But you are still doing really well, I love your train stations! :)

Engorn

kj3400

Guys, you've got to realize this update was from a year or two ago. I'm quite sure he has more experience, and will have better results. Until then, you should be patient. In any case, I still give it a thumbs up.  :thumbsup: A lot of diversity in your city. Looking forward to the next update.

Edit: I mean he started this a year or two ago on ST. Sorry for the confusion.
Visit

Fatsuhono

@kj3400: Ummm.... what? It says, on October 30, 2008... I don't think that's a year... :P But don't worry, we all make mistakes. :)

woodb3kmaster

No, kj3400 knows what he's talking about. I posted this update at ST (when it was new) in early 2007 - over a year and a half ago. It's true, though, that I've gotten new BATs and city-building experience since then, which you'll get to see soon enough.

Nuclear City - 5/8

GreekMan

Lookin great as usual Zack! :thumbsup:
left you a PM on ST.....
Recreation: San Diego County
Rebuilding America's Finest City!
Visit my MD today!