• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AntigOne's Projects: Elsewhere.

Started by Badsim, January 17, 2007, 02:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

Beautiful pictures - in fact, all of them, but my favourites are 1, 4, 5 and 7.

QuoteI've changed my opinion about the Olympic Tree Controler ... finally not that great . What a strange idea to find the mediterranean trees on the highest terrain level . Living myself in a mediterranean country these trees are absolutely out of place and I'm deleting them one by one replacing them with Larch trees . I dislike too the subartic pines when they're too numerous , they looks "gardened"

This is a common feature of all available tree controllers. But installing the newer ones you achieve also some different kind of forests (made as families), wchich you can plop on every elevation.
In addition, when you plop trees using a God Mode tree tool, particular trees families appear in specific situations, it depends not only on the elevation, but also on the terrain shape. If the slope is too steep, you can't plop any trees (except a few ones, and this possibility is also limited). Particular kinds of trees (available at this elevation) appear on valley slopes (negative terrain curvature), other ones appear on hills (positive terrain curvature)
Because of it, plopping trees only in God mode gives you a good, realistic "proposition" in many cases, but if you want to have a beautiful and realistic forest, you can't use only this method. Plopping trees in God Mode is for me (but everybody has his own methods ;)) about 30% of my work.
I make the rest of my work using these additional kinds of forests (great help!), and of course other ploppable flora.

Too much words is not good (especially in my case, this work with dictionary is horrible :D) and I will attempt to show what I'm saying about in the next few days in Shosaloza MD. Unfortunately, I have a lot of work to do tomorrow (I must prepare a complicated documentation for my work and must be ready for Monday morning), but in the meantime I can give you some advices.

Quote... if I decide to correct that on the whole region , I have work for months ...

Don't worry, if you will use each forest family a few times (and maybe take some notes, what looks good where, what looks good mixed with...), you will be able to do it very quickly, widely using your intuition :)
Covering a large city tile by forest (leaving some open spaces as I see on your pictures too) takes me not more than 2-3 hours. But it is very good to leave your finished work for 1-2 days, then return to it and look again. You will definitely find some things to change and to improve. (but don't do it too extensive, you know what happens when a painter tries to make too much improvements :D)

1. Preparing your terrain before plopping a forest try to sculpt it in a delicate way (as I said you earlier in my MD). Make some soft valleys and hills, using soft God Mode tools (hill, valley) and try to force various terrain textures to achieve.
Sometimes you want to make soft hill or valley, but on relatively large area. But don't use too large tool size to do it. You will have better control, if you will set the tool for example on Shift 5, Shift F3, and make first outside parts of your hill, and then terraform the inside part. The same for the valley. Do it slowly and look at textures.
2. When you have a terrain with interesting textures and shape, plan your forest. It can be very interesting to use textures as a background for it. For example, if you have a green grass, and in some places a reddish ground appear, make a forest on the grass, and leave this second texture on the open space. The same as for grass with yellowish or reddish points (flowers ;)), adding some bushes you can make a beautiful meadow on it. I tried to make it preparing pictures for Chrisadams in the RPP Thread
3. I said "plan your forest". What it means? You should decide (using your experience and notes :)), wchich trees you want to have:
- along the upper border of your forest
- on the slopes, in depressions, on hills)
- on various elevation
- wchich specific kinds of flora you want (died trees, bushes, red or blue or yellow flowers, rock groups etc.
Then start to plop these specific objects first, next an additional forest you choosen (for example subarctic forest for the upper border, Yellowstone forest to achieve red bushes and died trees, and so on), and at the end you can fill empty spaces by your basic forest, using God Mode tool.
Attention, the tool size should not be tooo small, but definitely should not be too big too.

Maybe it will help a bit :)

In your comment in my MD you said I have a benefit because of my technical work, and you rather use an intuition. It is very interesting, because you are a master of lot editing (wchich is definitely more technical job than terraforming and placing trees :D)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

bat

Yes, very beautiful pictures! Great work on that! Wonderful update! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

@ Dustin (Thundercrack83 - I think that once here I've called you Derry , my apologies for that ... Grin No ) ... well I would like to find special words for you , but we're not here to permanently congratulate ourselves , so just a big THANK YOU ... you're one of my most enthusiast and the most regular commentator . Wink

The pleasure is all mine, my friend! Your work is absolutely incredible! This update alone is simply fantastic--the amount of detail you've put into that creek is astonishing. I always look forward to seeing how you're going to push the envelope and raise the bar here!

Strechnitz

This is stunning. the master uf urbanity will now dazzle us with nature and countryside. :thumbsup:

I wonder to which new heights this will take this magnificent thread.

Strech.
Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

rooker1

Awesome update and thank you very much for extensive reply to all my questions.  I have learned alot from you so far and I really appreciate it, thanks again. 

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Glenni

Awesome work with the  nature and all those lots you made, and hrm, what do i see here? :D

"and please Glenni I can't let a talented BATer tell I knock her work in the dirt , at least you're nearer to the original purpose of this game than I am with my giant jigsaw"

Hope that was a spelling mistake, cus i'm a guy ye fool! :D $%Grinno$%

calibanX

This is just Siccckkk! You are an artist my friend.
Where City and Country Flow Together

Badsim

Glenni .... :D My apologies for that ... I'm never sure with these possessive adverbs 'cause in english they hold with the owner gender while in french they hold with the object gender .  :P  ;)

calibanX , Thank you and welcome to this MD .

Strechnitz ,

Quote from: Strechnitz on October 29, 2007, 06:19:48 AM

I wonder to which new heights this will take this magnificent thread.

So do I ... ::)

Ennedi , A big thank you once more for your excellent advices my friend ... finally I've found the settings of the terraforming tools ... LOL , I wondered If I was so stupid to do not find them hitting "Shift F1/F2/F3/..." ( like you wrote it sometimes  ;D )  instead of "Shift 1/2/3/..."
I need training with these new horizons ... but I'm already amazed to see how It's possible to change ground textures with so little terraforming . Great ... :thumbsup:

About tree controllers ...
Quote from: Ennedi on October 27, 2007, 05:04:39 PM

Too much words is not good (especially in my case, this work with dictionary is horrible :D) and I will attempt to show what I'm saying about in the next few days in Shosaloza MD.

I know that you mean about translations ... so thank you to take so much of your precious time .  I'll follow this discuss eagerly in your MD , but as you're going to see , I've taken radical decisions to obtain what I want to see : LotEditing of course .

Quote from: Ennedi on October 27, 2007, 05:04:39 PM

In your comment in my MD you said I have a benefit because of my technical work, and you rather use an intuition. It is very interesting, because you are a master of lot editing (wchich is definitely more technical job than terraforming and placing trees :D)

Ha , vaste discussion ... LotEditing wasn't a smooth predisposition to but a necessary violence to reach what I wanted . ::)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mont Afrique TV transmitter of AntigOne .

Now outdated , but still a radio and cellular phones relay .
4 Lots . Techniques used : deleted base textures and a resized Lot to make it look connected without sidewalks ... but none of these Lots  needs a real connexion .

And progresses on the landscape ... a complete set of seasonal Lots (only in sizes 1x1 & 2x2 )

Spring...

Summer....

Autumn...

Winter...

Winter + "Snow" code ...

Spring...

Summer...

Autumn...

Winter...

Winter + "Snow" code...

Spring...

Summer...

Autumn...

Autumn with fist snow (Snowcapped Mod ) ...

Winter + "Snow" code ...

Update dedicated to David /dedgren , without 3RR , I would never have involved myself in that kind of work ... Thanks David to have show me the light .... ()flower()

I think I'm going to LotEdite a few seasonal Lots more and then I'll upload the complete set in my "LotEditor Project" thread ... :)
Oh , and yes I intend to work the whole region like that ....  ;D

To the next . ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

rooker1

Great scenic pics my friend.  What a change of pace, from a down town city to seasonal woods.  Great work as always.  You never stop amazing me.

&apls &apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

flame1396

Seasonal Pines?

I love the facility on the mountaintop - reminds me of a few I've visited over the years.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

shoreman905

I have been away for a awhile, but I return to find a master at work. Your control and emphasis on detail facinates me. I tend to lean toward the modeling aspect of SC4 more than the active game,(though when testing BSC work, game comes first), and your work is masterpiece. I know you inspire everyone who reviews what you do. Cheers  &apls &apls

figui

my bad i had' not stopped here before.
this is GREAT work &apls &apls
nice pictures there, i love that annual cycle!

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Nardo69

Quote from: flame1396 on October 30, 2007, 04:07:54 PM
Seasonal Pines?

I love the facility on the mountaintop - reminds me of a few I've visited over the years.

Larches (German: Lärche). They do loose their needles in autumn but before that they turn into a wonderful yellow. Around the village where I grew up you can find lots of them. I do love them.

Anyway I was never satisfied with my woods  - even though deliberately and/or unknowingly I always tried to recreate a bit of the Northern Black Forrest.

You painfully showed me with your great pics why I failed ... I guess I should've spent more time in 3RR rather than to lurk from time to time ...

C'est merveilleux, mon ami!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

emilin

Wonderful work, as always! In both of the latest updates. I must really compliment you on your work with the transparent plop water (I tried it myself and found it extremly hard to get right).

Everything is wonderful, I have nothing more to add. &apls

Edit 1: I did have something to add after all. ;D When we're talking about tree controllers: those oversized pink flowers doesn't look too good, in my opinion. I've had problems with them myself, and never bothered to do anything about it, so it's no big deal... just a side note.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Fantastic pictures of this landscape! Also wonderful work! :thumbsup:

Badsim

Botanical precisions ....

Yes , flame1396 , Larch trees ... the only family of pines (with 9 species ) having this property .

A picture for emilin , oppositely to your point of view , this prop is one of the most proper and right scaled to represent a real flora ; Epilobium / fireweeds ... ;)

Hope you'll get convinced ...

Some pictures for Bernhard , you're living so far from your native country ... and I'm sure that you know them :

When I was a child , my parents were very worried about me 'cause I spent all my time with them ... I was fascinated . And has had my own anthill in the garden . $%Grinno$%
Believe it or not , there's a relation between that and my addiction to SC4 .... ::)

See you . ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

jeronij

Hello badsim, I havent stopped here in a while....  :-[ ...  ::) ... amigo, A BIG THANKS for such pleasant landscaping pictures  :thumbsup:

Your talent is not limited to the LE as you perfectly show us in that amazing place. Great use of the flora and plopable water ( perhaps too many rocks, or too many green rocks ?¿) and great set of pictures  &apls

A pleasure to come to Antigone as usual  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bokrif

I love this mountain are with the absulutely realistic forests. How did you change the terrain and how did you have the snow?

Serkanner

For a moment I thought I was actually reading one of the 3RR topics on the board and then I noticed that Badsim has gone Nature  :D  ... wonderful pictures and I can watch these for hours and hours without getting boarded.

Ennedi

Just a quick question:

Wchich terrain mod you use? You show the Snowcapped Mod on one of your pictures - and as I know it is compatible with the Columbus Terrain Mod, and not compatible with newer CP terrain mods.

Beautiful pictures, great seasonal trees, and your lot editing is a theme for a separate discussion :D

Edit: 36th page, and reply No 700 - congratulations!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine