• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Replacing NAM networks upon next release

Started by Lach77, October 22, 2012, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lach77

Hey guys

Sorry to ask this question, I know you have attempted to answer it elsewhere but I didn't quite understand what you meant then so forgive me for reasking this but when the new NAM package is released will my existing RHWs etc be updated with the new installation or will we have to remove and rebuild our RHWs? The reason I ask is that I'm hesitant to continue working on my region if there will soon be a better system. I'm trying to build more compact networks and the current limitations in the RHW is encouraging me to hold off for now :)

Thanks

Tarkus

It's a good question--and I shall endeavor to provide a good answer. :)

The "back-end" of the RHW is completely changing for the next release, but we've designed everything in mind such that it will have minimal impact on existing RHW systems (going all the way back to the initial release in November 2005).  You won't need to bulldoze anything, and in probably 99.9% of all cases, you won't have to do any rebuilding.

The way we're handling it, there's basically going to be a "Legacy Support File".  This file will basically be the existing RHW 5.0 release, condensed into a single file, and it allows the existing RHWs to continue to function as they have without interference.

On top of that, there will be "Conversion Code".  This is RUL2 code that, if you click on an existing Version 5.0 (or earlier) RHW system, it'll convert that old RHW to the new standard.  There may be some minor instances where this won't work (or may initially appear to not work), but I've already successfully tested an earlier version of this approach in a working city of mine.

We've always sought to have as much reverse compatibility as possible with NAM updates, and this is no exception.  I'd say it's safe to continue building RHWs in your cities with the current release.  The only situation I'd urge caution is for those wanting to make third-party RHW add-ons (texture sets, T21 mods, etc.).  If you make something of that nature now, it'll be incompatible with the new version, and you'll have to redo it.

-Alex

Lach77

Thanks Tarkus

That clarifies a lot of things :)