• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwakelaar

This is a very interesting project, and seems you have come quite a long way with it already.

HabLeUrG

interesting and of course that was quick  &apls &apls

memo

The correct mirroring of 0x00aa0200,3,0 is 0x00aa0200,1,1. Also make sure that the straight street texture next to the turn exists rotated by 90° and by 270° because both setups occur. Does this solve the problem?

Gaston

This is really some fantastic stuff.    Truely marvelous.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jplumbley

Thanks Memo!  Your help was very helpful and I got the 90 turn to road working.

Alrighty, well I dont have time for pictures today since I have lots of homework tonight.  But, I can tell you guys what I have finished RULs for.  I will actually give a list here:

Straight - Straight
Straight - 90 Turn
Straight - End
Straight - T-Intersection
Straight - +-Intersection
Straight - Road T-Intersection (All 4 versions)
Straight - Road +-Intersection (All 4 versions)
Straight - Diagonal Road T-Intersection
Straight - Diagonal Road +-Intersection
Straight - To Straight Road
Straight - To 90 Turn Road
Straight - Rail +-Intersection
Straight - Diagonal Rail +-Intersection

I have also started work on creating the stability RULs so when there are 2 intersections next to each other it doesnt revert one of them and such.  This is going fairly well.  Essentially, the main RUL system is created with about 170 lines of RULs, just to give those who dont understand an idea of how much is going into this.  The stability will take probably another 50 to 70 lines give or take.  And each new piece will take between 8 to 20 lines of RULs depending on the piece.

I need to make a puzzle piece to test with now since I have all 19 pieces I have created.  The other pieces like T and +-Intersections with OWR and AVE will have to wait, since I am not a good texturer, I might need help with these pieces.  Memo, do you mind giving me some help with the puzzle pieces?  I attempted to learn the other night but... I had a hard time following along Tarkus's Tutorial without being able to ask him questions.

So, we are one step closer to a prototype of this mod.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Gaston

Ooooooo,  I just had a thought.   &idea        This really isn't the place to suggest it but ...
     ... What about Avenues with GLR in the middle that are brick/cobblestone textures?    (The avenues that is.)    Does anyone think that might be possible?     Like I said, just a thought.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jplumbley

To be honest, you can make draggable GLR in Avenue with different sidewalk textures based in the same fashion I am doing with the streets here.  It would just take much more time and effort since it is a 2-tile wide network.  Its not a far fetched idea Gaston, but it seems as though everyone who can do it right now has different projects they are working on or are in RLS.

In reality, you can do this with any set of textures! (As long as they are transit textures).  Whether they have paths or not... well that is determined by the SC4Path file, and if you "forget" paths, you will have draggable textures.  Now, if these textures have props on their lots, they could in effect be turned into T21 exemplars (props for netwroks to an extent).  Imagine, SG canals or Jeronij's Urban Canals.... draggable.  Or draggable BSC Park Paths with pedestrian traffic that actually follows paths.  The possibilities are just being discovered, and it may take a long time to see them from concept to reality, but the possibilities are there.

RULs and puzzle pieces working together has just been discovered and the potential is immense.  Its just unfortunate that there aren't enough of us that know enough to do it.  Maybe, this will give some people the motivation to learn, because its something that will be cool!!

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

EDGE4194

&hlp yeah! very exciting to see someone is working on this. Thank you jp for kicking this off. I am eager to follow the progress here  :thumbsup:

Skyfire

There are also the two following street mods that no one has mentioned yet:

- the "Tar-sealed county roads" by rivitoz on the STEX...
- and josefmayor (of Simtropolis... I don't know if he comes here at all) has the brick texture mod he made, which includes WAY more pieces than Ardecila's mod. I think you can just PM him for the textures and he'll send them. Their project seems to be on hold right now.

There was also that guy on Simtropolis who was recently doing the black streets to fit in better with the roads and it seemed to be mostly complete but never released, you may be able to contact him.

So, you might want to check these out.
-Skyfire

flame1396

brilliant idea! Brick streets are common in many historic areas in the US midwest!
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

jeronij

Quote from: jplumbley on July 02, 2007, 06:30:16 PM
  Imagine, SG canals or Jeronij's Urban Canals.... draggable....

Is this perhaps the reason because I made so many pieces for my canals... ::) ?¿  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

flame1396

If you could make the canals draggable could you make them function as a ferry route?

Dang.... SimVenice would be sweet....
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

jplumbley

Quote from: flame1396 on July 03, 2007, 08:54:12 AM
If you could make the canals draggable could you make them function as a ferry route?

Dang.... SimVenice would be sweet....

Technical answer... No.  The ferry route pathing is a hard coded function and not applicable to network tiles.

Conceptual answer, kind of.  Goaskin was experimenting with making "watertaxis".  He made some puzzle pieces with a subway path on it to simulate "watertaxi" traffic. It works, but its another network that is essentially a GLR.  Maybe, if we used the Monorail paths we could separate the 2, but the issue with this is the actual speed of the traffic type.  There isnt much choice with this here, unless we can add a traffic type which is not possible or known.

@Jeronij   ;)

Street Addon Mod - SAM

flame1396

Could you (for speed) base it off of streets? Because its slower?

The speed is an issue but to get a SimVenice to work in SC4... would need to make the canal transit speed pretty fast....

Shadow Assassin

Quoteyou "forget" paths, you will have draggable textures.

Except if you do not include paths AT ALL, the dragging of these textures will take longer, and with a full plugins folder, can actually freeze the game up briefly.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 05, 2007, 01:43:30 AM
Except if you do not include paths AT ALL, the dragging of these textures will take longer, and with a full plugins folder, can actually freeze the game up briefly.

As happened with RHW v12 and v13 (fixed with v13a and v13b). ;)

-Alex

toxicpiano

Quote from: jeronij on July 03, 2007, 08:39:07 AM
Is this perhaps the reason because I made so many pieces for my canals... ::) ?¿  ;)
I guess that's a hint, lol!
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

jacqulina

awesome project very interesting and great progress &apls &apls

Zaphod

just echoing skyfire, definetely ask about the brick streets josefmayor was working on, they were waaay bettter than the current brick streets
War Kittens !?

jplumbley

Well for those asking about Josefmayor's textures.  If you can find me a link to the file I will look at it!  But through the thread all pictures are gone and the links to the Beta's bring me to a site where I cannot find the file.  So, I cannot find the actual textures.  Those who have the original zips I can make due with what you give me maybe.

Street Addon Mod - SAM