• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Elevated Networks Upgrade?

Started by allan_kuan1992, January 07, 2008, 12:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

We all know for a fact that puzzle pieces are irritating and terribly inferior to draggable networks. They cause crashes, require tons of pieces to complete a network, and are not easy to use en masse for the typical user. Of course, new discoveries last year made it possible to create networks now through a series of RUL overrides started by a false intersection in a puzzle piece. Since then, several networks have been remade, including:

GLR
RHWMIS (was originally developed to be made of puzzle pieces, puzzle piece version never released to public)
ERHW4 (was originally developed to be made of puzzle pieces, puzzle piece version never released to public)

An example of these draggable re-makes is the ERHW4, made by Tarkus, which is still in development in the RHW thread:

With this in mind, I am wondering why some other networks have not been done, specifically these:

ERW2 - Elevated Railway
ERD2 - Elevated Roadway
EAVE4 - Elevated Avenue
AVE4GLR - Avenue with GLR

Although puzzle pieces will still be needed to overcome some game inabilities, like smooth network curves, new intersection options, and to create false intersections that start these override-based networks, I see great benefits to users if the above three networks are remade to utilize this still-revolutionary technology. Benefits include:

- Ease of use; users do not have to plop down large amounts of puzzle pieces, especially if the networks are used frequently or in long stretches.
- Greater possibilities; more intersection options could become available than with the current puzzle piece system, which requires a seperate puzzle piece for every intersection type.
- Less conflicts; users will experience far less (not all) game crashes than before that were caused by puzzle pieces hovering over TE-enabled lots.

As much as I know this is possible, it also requires huge amounts of effort from the NAM teams to make RULs for these networks. Time of course, is not free. Real life is a priority to most and much of the progress created and released to both the STEX and the LEX comes from the creator's spare time.

Because of this, I am requesting, but not pushing, for the wonderful NAM modders, who brought us so much into the game, to re-make above 4 networks to be replaced in time. Thank you for your time in reading this long, but necessary post.

- Allan Kuan

Shadow Assassin

Dude, we're a few steps ahead of you. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Umm because it all takes time and we are short of it.  :thumbsdown:

Filasimo

actually as my comrades has mentioned above were ahead of you guy
also for the elevated RHW, if you were following the RHW thread ya wouldve seen this lovely piece of work:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.msg99762#msg99762

and yes we are getting to those requested but we have priority projects we are working on the SAM,RHW etc. so in other words:
STAY TUNED!!! ;)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

memo

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on January 07, 2008, 12:38:59 AM
With this in mind, I am wondering why some other networks have not been done, specifically these:

Because it requires thousands (!!!) of extra RULs to be written, but you probably know that.
Anyway, it is not possible to make draggable Dual Networks like Avenue-GLR. That's because the puzzle pieces basically consist of two network types, but you could only drag one.

Jonathan

It is possible to drag dual networks, You can have up to 2 different paths on one tile excluding pedestrian, also the new subway system that me and JPlumbley are working on wouldn't work if dragging dual networks isn't possible.

jplumbley

I have just moved into school, time will be of a limited nature.  But nonetheless, I have already stated that I am going to be enbarking on a new "SAM-like" mod called RAM - Rail Addon Mod.  This will take the Raised Rail Viaducts that Arkenbergejoe has created and make them draggable as well as work with Northcountrydude and NOBs Rail texture sets.  Unfortunately, this is another SAM sized project that will probably take 3 to 6 months to put together the first beta version.  Prep work has begun, but that is only prep work.

We internally have already discussed the options of making the existing Road, OWR and Avenue Elevated Puzzle Pieces in a draggable situation.  This has been determined to be something we would like to do but will have to be put in line.  There are only 3 or 4 of us on the NAM Team who are currently active who can work on writing the RULs for something of this respect.  Myself am wrapped up in a few projects including RAM, SAM, the new Turning Lanes Plugin, TLA.  Tarkus, is obviously invovled in TLA and RHW.  Memo does his thing and always surprises us and his expertise go beyond the RULs so he is required elsewhere for other things here and there.

What we "can" do and what we "want" to do are two totally different things because time is a finite thing.  Eventually we will get what we "want" done.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM