• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ball stop fence/net prop

Started by belfastsocrates, February 15, 2016, 06:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

Would anyone happen to know if a prop, or even a BAT, in the form of a high ball stop fence exists?

If not, is there an existing prop that could serve the same purpose?

It's a pretty random query but I'm finishing off the University of Passau's sports facilities and the rugby training fields are close to roads and buildings and just don't look right without something to catch the kicked balls.  &mmm
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mgb204

I think I know what you're talking about, I don't know of such a thing? With your installed props, I guess you've checked MAS' playground stuff and the SFBT Speilplatz props?

If you can't find one, post a picture of what you're after, I might be prepared to whip up something for you in 3DS max :).

Simcoug

something like that would be handy for creating an urban driving range as well...  ;)

belfastsocrates

This is what I was looking for. I don't think there is anything as high as this. I can use existing fence props to surround the pitch but the higher ball stop/catch netting is alluding me. I'm going to trawl though my props tonight, I could have sworn I seen the term in a BAT at some point, maybe a cricket pack. 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

TheTeaCat

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mgb204

As I expected, it's little more than two poles, so it's a breeze to BAT. The hardest part would be the netting, the mesh is very fine, but maybe some transparency would work well there.

Hopefully such a prop exists, but if not, I'll try to make a few with different colour posts for you.

belfastsocrates

I had a look and there's a 9m high fence from the NUTs set Teacat posted above. I've made a lot with the fence.

Does this look realistic? I'd ideally like higher but this might be a suitable compromise.

What do people think?

FrankU

Looks OK to me. Nobody is going to measure if the heigth is according to regulations. Or is there?
But I am not really a perfectionist in this matter.

art128

What you can try to get a higher fence is put a second time the same prop and hit ctrl+up arrow (or was it shift+up arrow) to lift it in the air... It could give the illusion of one tall fence instead of a small one. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Quote from: art128 on February 16, 2016, 03:22:03 AM
What you can try to get a higher fence is put a second time the same prop and hit ctrl+up arrow (or was it shift+up arrow) to lift it in the air... It could give the illusion of one tall fence instead of a small one. :)

I've used that trick a few times but I'll probably take a few images from different orientations and I'd like to avoid having 'floating props'

I could just restrict myself to one orientation for images of the pitches I suppose. That might be the best solution for the time being :)

art128

If the props are perfectly lined up at the same exact place, there shouldn't be a problem with it.. In the LE lift the fence but let it still touch the lower one and try to see on the four angles how it looks.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

Quote from: art128 on February 16, 2016, 03:42:20 AM
If the props are perfectly lined up at the same exact place, there shouldn't be a problem with it.. In the LE lift the fence but let it still touch the lower one and try to see on the four angles how it looks.

Select the prop with your moiuse. Hit the "d"; the prop wil be copied on exact the same location. Then select one of the two props by simply clicking on the prop again. Then with ctrl-up one of the props can be lifted.

belfastsocrates

Oh, wasn't aware of the 'd' shortcut, that makes things a lot easier.

I'll give this a go tonight. Thank you both for your advice :)

belfastsocrates

The 'd' shortcut worked a treat and made this much easier!

I'm relatively happy with the result. Does it look ok?

On a different note and unrelated to the above, I'm having an issue with Spa's Jean Cranfield Building. I didn't want to make another thread so I'll piggyback on this.

The building is not appearing in-game but does appear in Lot Editor, which I find incredibly strange and frustrating. Anyone know why it won't appear in game?

FrankU

The nets look greast. Don't change anything.

The building not appearing....
Are you certain you don't play the game in a custom directory?
The flags seem to hint at a model whose FSH files are not available: a missing dependency. As far as I know.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: FrankU on February 23, 2016, 12:58:07 AM
The nets look greast. Don't change anything.

The building not appearing....
Are you certain you don't play the game in a custom directory?
The flags seem to hint at a model whose FSH files are not available: a missing dependency. As far as I know.

Yeah I have separate plugin folders for Lot Editor and in-game. I've always been very good to make sure they match though and always install into the in-game folder followed by the plugin folder.

I'll have to cross-check them tonight to see if that's the issue. Hadn't even considered that