• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexr19

Fantastic!  This is one of the most realistic CJ I've ever seen. Bravo!  &apls

a couple of questions: how do you create the "stop sign-less" road/street intersections? and where can I find the houses and the powerlines?

thanks!

EDGE4194

alex- fantastic improvement projects  &apls  I agree with haljackey about the curve textures, that's why i don't use them. Fantastic interchange at Hwy 94 & NE 65th. I love the retaining pond! Nice touch that I hadn't even thought of before, yet you see them regularly in RL. Looking forward to see the new parkway take shape.

Haljackey

Yay more road construction!  I really liked how you put those raised avenue pieces to use Alex.  I've never seen them used in a combination like that before.

Nice work!

Best,
-Haljackey

Jmouse

Wow, perfectly simple and logical layout with excellent results. As you mentioned earlier, there was a lot of dirt moving involved here, but worth the trouble for the overall improvement in mobility.

I'm curious to know
whether or not the Sims living nearest the newly-expanded 65th St. project will start complaining about traffic noise. I don't know if that's an especially reliable indicator, though. I've seen them complain lots of times when there's no apparent reason.

Anyway, this is an excellent piece of construction work – well presented – that TDOT can be proud of. :thumbsup:

Later, but hopefully not too much later... :)
Joan

BigSlark

Alex,

Great interchanges and intersections, as usual. You capture Eastern Oregon in a way that makes feel like I'm actually there!

Cheers,
Kevin

threestooges

Alex, your attention to detail is always impressive, both in the content you make, and the way you use it. I like the gentle slopes in the roads/highways, and some of them just look so smooth. How much preparation of the land is done beforehand, aside from all the work done by the TDOT that's in the pics? Sorry I've been a bit quiet around here, but I have been keeping an eye on things, and I like it. Hope all is well.
-Matt

-alexr19: The power poles are most likely Power Poles by Fukuda at the STEX. As for the houses, I've seen them before I think, but I don't know where.

LE0

sweet MD and it looks better than maxis construction where the buldozers just run over the road once. :)

btw may i suggest more realistic overpasses by using T Onslopes and then bulldozing the T and the grass would go all the way to the overpass.
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Nexis4Jersey

bakerton

One word Alex, Amazing. I just love your work and Wisconsin has three seasons: Winter, Tourists and Construction. The last two togather. In March, WiDOT will widen Interstate 94/US 41 from Illinois to Milwaukee going from 6 lanes total to 8 lanes total. Costs over $1 billion to do. Oh I almost forgot, how much does it cost to rebuild the roads here in Tarkusian Cities? I bet nothing.Keep on constructing Alex.  JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

j-dub

Hey Alex, look out below. I noticed the draggable avenue to road transition could be improved without taking more than 2 tiles as below.

And yes, your city is used as an example. This is not even the same one as the VS avenue road retexture, just an example of how different mathematicals could be used.

Battlecat

Wow!  This is amazing work you've done here!  The showcase of the rural highways is fantastic to see and I like how you're presenting this as an evolution of a growing city. 

Actually, the style you are presenting with road realignment and temporary haul roads for highway construction is eerily realistic.  They've come up quite frequently at work for me recently with two major bridge projects going in at the borders of the community I work for.  The only thing you're really missing is the upset residents yelling at you over the counter at city hall because they don't want the highway in their neighborhood or because higher levels of government expropriated a corridor through their property.  &mmm

I think I prefer your way over the reality!  ;)  Keep up the great work, I'll be keeping an eye out! 

darraghf

Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

sim-al2

(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

warconstruct

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

Pat

Hey Alex I loved that update back in January for the NE interchange, I do hope all is well and we'll see a new update soon!!! I am soo missing my fix of TDOT and the mussings of the head engineer!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm finally back with an update. ;)

We'll be looking at a few various projects around East Los Endos in the Tartan and Foothill areas, with a particular focus on some of the widening projects in Tartan.

But first, replies:

Ryan (burgsabre87):  Thanks for the kind words--and ripping it all up again is the fun part.  :D  I can guarantee you that won't be the last construction you see at Highway 94 and 65th. 

pilotdaryl: Thanks for the big compliment! :)

deathtopumpkins:  Hehe . . . I really should do more back-to-back updates.  Perhaps once I get stuff shored up a little more with RL and the RHW, I'll be able to.  I'm glad you enjoyed the little retention pond touch--we have them all over the place here, too.  And thanks for the constructive feedback on the retaining walls--I agree with you there. ;)

Sciurus:  Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the construction.  There will be plenty of more to come. ;)

sim_link:  I'm glad to hear I'm living up to my little disclaimer there.  It is rare that I don't have something under construction here--I always find something with the road system that needs a little tweaking here or there.  And thanks for the kind words on the updates--I'm glad you enjoyed them, and hope you like this one as well!

alexr19:  Thanks!  Glad you have been enjoying it, and to answer your questions, the houses are some of SimGoober's low-wealth residentials (should be in one of the residential packs on the LEX), and the stopsign-less intersections are kind of the result of a couple mods.  I was using the Street Addon Mod (SAM) with jeronij's Streetside Mod (SSM) for SAM there (both on the LEX).  And as threestooges pointed out, those are Fukuda's powerpoles from the STEX.

Eric (EDGE4194):  Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad you found the interchange there to your liking, and I was really pleased with how that retention pond came out, too.  First time I've built one of those--I just absolutely love how versatile jeronij's canals are.  As far as the parkway goes, you'll get to see a little bit of it this update.

Haljackey:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  That interchange was a little tricky to figure out with that neighborhood so close by there, but I'm quite pleased with how it came out.  Those elevated pieces really did the trick there.  Leave it to TDOT with their "context-sensitive solutions".   :D

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks for the compliments!  I'm glad you like the end result there--I was actually surprised at just how much dirt I ended up moving there.  So far, the sims aren't too upset about the project--they're getting some retaining walls, and other than the mildly unhappy folks on NE Still Street who are right next to the elevated section, everyone else seems to be happy with what TDOT's done.  After all, it makes their commutes easier. 

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed this latest project!   And I'm glad you're enjoying the Eastern Oregon-like setting.  My favorite part of the country by far, I'd say.  One of these days I'm going to have to write up a backstory or figure out just where the cities are located.  I've kind of envisioned "Tarkusia" as being part of an alternate universe country in the "ION country" (Idaho-Oregon-Nevada--hence the section of US-95 called the "ION Highway"), but haven't officially decided.

threestooges:  Thank you for the all-too-kind words, my friend!  I probably did a bunch of hole-digging lot use there with that interchange--I use Shadow Assassin's 15m Raiser/Lowerer lots on a very regular basis.  Getting the slope on the Elevated end south of the freeway was probably the trickiest part. 

LE0:  Thanks, glad you've enjoyed the construction end of things.  Thanks for the suggestion with the On-Slope piece . . . I hadn't thought of that before.

Corey (Nexis):  Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it!

Jon (bakerton):  Hehe . . . you guys sound like you have more seasons in Wisconsin than we do here.  Of course, this year, we actually got a real Winter this year instead of just rain--2 feet of snow on the west side of Portland at Christmas, which is by far the most snow I've ever seen this side of Oregon in my 23 years. 

I'm glad to hear WiDOT's investing in I-94, too.  How long of a stretch is that?  I'd imagine for $1 billion, quite a good stretch.  May have to check that project out.  I'm not sure what all TDOT spends, but quite a bit.  They are quite well-funded, so that interchange project was cheap compared to some stuff they will be doing.  Thanks for the kind words, and hope you enjoy the latest construction!

j-dub:  Thanks for the suggestion--that's a rather interesting one there, and I think it looks better than the existing Maxis one (which I've disliked since Day One).  One of these days, I'll have to release that extended transition puzzle piece, too. ;)

Battlecat:  Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, and thanks for sharing your RL experience with construction projects--I always enjoy having a dialog with folks about that here.  The dynamics of NIMBYism can always be a rather interesting (and frustrating) thing.  Fortunately, the citizens in the various cities are amazingly tolerant of all of TDOT's myriad of construction projects, though not always. ;) 

darraghf: Now. :D

warconstruct:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it !

Pat: Thanks for the kind words and for thinking of me and Tarkusian Cities.  Your wish shall be fulfilled here. ;)

This update will examine a few of the projects around eastern Los Endos, most of them undertaken by the city's public works department.

Development near Los Endos Boulevard, at the section that was just widened in Update 44.  (looking east)

In order to accommodate further development in the Foothill area, the rest of Los Endos Boulevard will get widened as well.  This is near SE 71st Court. (looking south)

This here is Highway 94 about a mile east of the NE 65th Street Interchange from last time.  That little bit of dirt being moved around there is the start of the Jan Haskins Parkway. (looking east)

As you can see in this pic, it's a little farther along now.  (looking east)

This is the start of the south end of the parkway, where it will intersect with Los Endos Boulevard.  Lots of explosives involved in carving out part of the cliff there.  ::)  (looking east)

Now we'll be heading over to the Tartan area, which is on the peninsula shown in the map from last update.  This is the existing intersection of SE Memo Road and SE Gehrts Way.  These are the two main arterials through the Tartan area, and as such, they need widening quite badly.  Hence, the City of Los Endos has embarked upon the Tartan Corridor project.  (looking north)

This is Gehrts Way just to the west of the intersection in the previous image.  (looking north)

Just north of that bend, Gehrts turns into SE 50th Street, which has an interchange with Highway 94 about 1.5 miles north.  The track and field there is part of Tartan High School. (looking north)

Work begins at the Gehrts/Memo intersection. (looking north)

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.  More construction ahead. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

metarvo

It looks like development is booming as always.  However, I noticed that you attributed the eastern Los Endos construction projects to the public works department.  Does this mean that TDot is staying out of it in the Tartan area, or are they still overseeing the construction here?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ryan B.

Know what rhymes with 'Tartan'?

Spartan!

Could there be a '300' billboard in there somewhere?   :P

Naw, just joshin'.  Great job, as always, Alex.

Pat

WoooHooo!!! Update and see I guess it does help to post in here to get a little more destruc eeerrr construction going on here lol.... Great new update here Alex and I will look forward to the next update!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on February 18, 2009, 07:37:21 PM
More construction ahead. ;)

Now how many times have we heard that?  :P  Anyways good luck with all your construction projects, they all look very interesting!

Best,
-Haljackey