• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

P.R. Crastina's Travels

Started by evarburg, October 06, 2018, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

I do believe the rail interchanges we have now are much better  :) (I seem to remember having a helluva time trying to plop those here in place...). Although I haven't checked the NAM 36 ones. Hmmm...

As for the MMPing, it is the part I like most about MDing or CJing. It's so... zen. Plus I wanted to be a painter, when I was a child, not a writer !  :D

(By the way my partition and game seem OK now, via STEAM -- but the writing part of P. R. Crastina's life has taken over again. Hopefully I'll be able to post for a few more months, migrating my STEX CJs here...)

Tyberius06

As far as I know in NAM36 with RRW (RealRailWay Mod) installed, you don't have these rail interchanges. I've never seen any of them before. That's why it hit my eyes immediately. Maybe among the Maxis rail addons there are these interchanges, but with RRW definitelly not. :)
Anyway it's interesting to see these relics :)
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

evarburg

Ah, Tyb, you little green horn you !

You young' uns don't know how good you have it. Like the Relic, I come from a time before NAM, and I went through all its iterations. (In fact I come from a time when SimCity was in black and white.)

[I went to school on foot, too, ten miles ; and it went up all the way, both ways.]

:D :D :D

c.p.

My eyes went to the beautifully MMP'd wetland/swampy area between the rail intersections.
I like Martin Falls' combination of agriculture, urban development and nature :thumbsup:

manga rivotra

As others have pointed out, I must admit that your mastery with natural scenes is remarkable for achieving such results at that time when the MMPs had just appeared in our way of playing.
Excellent work !  :thumbsup:

evarburg

Martin Falls Lake & Marina

The Summer People arrive by the small rail station and fan out through the town...

...making a bee line to the summer houses, and, for a lesser class of tourists, the summer condos.

A few people rent summer cabins or poontoons houses, too  (cheapskates !)

Martin Falls, one must admit, is quite picturesque, what with its Lake Chartrain, and the waterfalls on the St-Eulalie river (here, seen from the south)

It even has what coud be called a delta at the mouth of the St Eulalie, where it flows into Lake Chartrain

The city (and at first, the farms) grew around the Lake ; it is now mostly residential

Near the small marina, many people rent rooms-with-a-view in private homes...

..or a whole villa, while the owners flee somewhere else for the summer.

The recent extension of the marina goes up to the small Dollard River

Another close-up of the marina

... and closer...

... and again, from the other side, ('cause P. R. stayed a few nights in that modern house and loved it).

Now, if you had a good look at the town's small overview earlier... But let me refresh your memory :

... you may have noticed that Lake Chartrain seems shockfull of islands. Well, it was. In fact, when the settlers first came in, it was more of a big watery bog than a lake. But when the Zabnis dynasty came into power... er, when the very competent Zabnises were elected, from the Elder to the Younger(s), they saw an opportunity and seized it. While embarking on their ambitious project of taming the unruly rivers and streams of the place, they also dredged the lake, and dredged, and dredged, and took some boggy  islands out, and added to others, reshaping them in order to have a functional, properly touristic lake. So yes, almost everything there has been man-made – including La Patte.

The tourists don't want to know. They come for their Nature Fix.

PaPa-J

Very nice, great looking lake area. The farmland looks really great as well.  :thumbsup:
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

evarburg

Thank you. For the farmlands (and the streets and parkings and a lot of other places), when I was playing on a Mac I used to spend hours on photoshop erasing the damn grid -- which doesn't respond totally to the G command on Mac and is especially visible in fields. I availed myself of the opportunity to also blurr the plantation lines in various fields, all the while regretting there were less like those we can plop now, at least for wheat and maize (girafe  -- or Vnaoned ? on TSC, in any case --& RFR). Some grains and vegetables and fruit trees do come in rows, but not all of them --and certainly not in squares !  :D

mattb325

Square fruit and vegetables are usually to be avoided  $%Grinno$%

Great pictures! Your patience with that plop water is always commendable  :thumbsup:

evarburg

Dear travel companions, coming here on SC4D I told myself that if my MD had 7000 visits I would drink myself into a stupor. Well, this is it. And I want to thank y'all for it. I am not sure (still ain't) about the MD's etiquette here : I tend to just Like, or answer comments as they come up, not in bulk after each entry. But such a momentous occasion deserves a round of effusive gratitude, and Naming Names. And so thank all of you for your patience (those who'd already seen my attemps at CJ-ing elsewhere) and thanks to those who took the time to write a comment. This is you, as you came in :

Tarkus, Seaman,Themistokles, MattB325, Akallan, Scott1964, Metarvo, Allan Waters,Eggman, PaPa-J, Pressus, Dedgren, Eldado, Falfger, 89James89, C.P, Fantozzi, Tyberius, Manga rivotra

There are names in there that I never thought I'd meet personally (so to speak) in SC4, reverently admired batlotters who have nourished my game for gn-gn-gn years (not counting anymore), and still do -- especially Mattb325 and C.P. I am all a-fluttter each time I see your names here. And etc. Time to go and have that drink !

PaPa-J

A toast to you and your 7000th visitor!
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

c.p.

I'll drink to that (though coffee in my case, as it's 7 a.m. here now  :D ).

Martin Falls is very picturesque, for sure.  I like how the town sort of flows to/from the lake, as if it were another river.

mattb325

Quote from: evarburg on April 24, 2019, 05:40:52 AM
I am all a-fluttter each time I see your names here.

A drink will definitely fix that, no matter the time of day  ;)

Congrats on the milestone  &apls

89James89

Congrats on the very well deserved milestone!

The latest update easilyu shows why you deserve to reach such milestones. God knows how long it takes to do all the MMP's. I spend long enough MMPing a single river let alone 8 or 9 of them! True dedication that really pays off!

evarburg

Martin Falls : Lake and Islands

Tourists flock to the city in summer, enjoying the lakeside and the Ste-Eulalie little delta, affectionately dubbed "La Patte", The Paw. The river flows leisurely into Lake Martin, hardly touched by Mayor Zabnis the Elder's grand Canalization Project (except where one artificial island was built for the rail viaduc). Here, going to the Paw, a bit of Pointe-à-Lacalle (the southernmost tip of Île Lacalle)

And the Paw :

The Paw is divided into four islands that have been left in their pristine state. L'Île Morisset is the first one :

The three others constitute the Paw itself : l'Île-à-Tronchet, l'Île Gravel (which is technically part of L'Île Morisset, but...) and l'Île Dumaisne :

And then we come to the Lake. As I said before, all the islands in Lake Martin have been more or less built there by enlarging or erasing existing islands or semi-islands and then dredging industriously (it was mostly a big bog, in the beginning).The islands have been given local names, after some of the people who worked on them, for instance, l'Île-à-Martin (another hommage to the Founder)

Or l'Île-à-Jacou (Jacou was an ill-tempered woodcutter who is supposed to have been killed there. Kids go the island hoping to see his ghost) :

The most important island, however, is l'Île-Aux-Angles, also called "The Summer Village", although is it inhabited all year round ; the people who own the houses rent them and go to Eden Bay or other places for the summer. No car allowed, and no electic poles : all wires are tucked away underground and underwater.

A proud son of Martin Falls, Normand Mollantz, a software billionnaire, is also a semi-crackpot who bought one of the main islands (now named L' Île-à-Normand) and now lives there as a hermit in a small farm – a virtuous ecological life (despite his three old trucks).

[and that one I managed to make a mosaic of...]

mattb325

I love the MMP work of the little islands, so well thought out and beautifully done  :thumbsup:

evarburg

(the Martin Falls travelogue continues...)

We leave the lake, with closer shots of Pointe-à-Lacalle :

However, the mandatory tourist spot in Martin Falls is the Martin River falls, on the other side of the lake, which gave the town half its name (the Founder, Ephrem Martin, being of course the other half)

from the North (Haut-des-Chutes)

from the south (Bas-des-Chutes), with l'Île Thérien

That's where the Lux Hotel has been built –always booked solid in Summer.

Going farther  down the river ...

In all seasons, with or without summer people, Martin Falls citizens always enjoy leisurely walking (and living) along the banks of the many gentle streams that grace the countryside

evarburg

Let's conclude this visit to Martin Falls, and to the Eden Bay region with some more MMP love fest (and meanwhile, I learned a new trick)

River Leisure

Tyberius06

Really beautiful images! Really nice village! I love all these MMP details. Nice work!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

evarburg

Thank you. But did you see, did you see, I learned how to do real water! &hlp  :D  (Photoshop Is Our Friend)
https://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6545.0