• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 24, 2007, 08:33:17 AM
Love the detail, it looks good.

Only "good"? ;) I think it looks excellent.  :thumbsup:
Andreas

jplumbley

HOLY CRAP!!!

Shaun I just saw the textures you submitted to me.  Jesus man you went ALL OUT!  They are freaking awesome!  Dont you ever dis yourself again by saying that they are only good... THEY ARE SWEET!  Keep up the awesome work.  :thumbsup:

Now I have two sets to get from PNG to SC4 lol... man I am getting behind on stuff.  Better get my butt in gear or I will miss the 2nd Birthday Bash next year...  Hopefully I will be able to make it before next Christmas.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Diggis

You're embarassing me.... I enjoyed doing them, and I think they will become one of my favourite sets.

What sets still need PNGing with the grasses?  I think I sent you Pegs Dirt and Gravel, which you were going to do, but don't think I sent you trolcas dirt?  What about the asphalt and herringbone Ave and OWR?  I've done the overlays, and can do up the Grass PNG's tomorrow.  I only have the BSC Parks to do, and the brick street Ave and OWR.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Andreas on October 24, 2007, 09:13:28 AM
Only "good"? ;) I think it looks excellent.  :thumbsup:

Okay, okay. :P But seriously. It's an excellent job. I love the detail on the edges. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

I have been thinking, and the textures are very customisable.  It would be easy enough to release a replacement for any of the textures, to override one of the sets.

It was the inclusion of the 2 red bricks, and the 2 dirt roads that got me thinking how to replace one with another texture, also from discussions about the BSC parks, and how if I do up a set for each texture, then it's easy enough to change to the one you want.  So once this is all up and running I will take requests.

BigSlark

So what you're saying diggis is that there would be a radio button next to the options for each category in the installer?

Diggis

Nah, more like you can download the original set, but then if you decide you don't want a set, you can download a replacement which will override the textures and possible the T21's for the set, to get another set.  Not sure quite how if will work, as you would need to have the correct IID's for the set you want to replace.  It was just a thought.  As I said, I'd be open to Texturing requests, which would mean you get to replace the set that the requester wants.  I'm not onto T21's but will hopefully learn when it comes to doing them for the first set.

nerdly_dood

Open to requests, eh?  Like a request for a street with a single yellow line down the middle?  (There are some of those around where I live...roads have a double line)  It shouldn't be too hard to do that for the default gray streets and the black ones in the SAM.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jplumbley

Quote from: Diggis on October 25, 2007, 10:49:45 PM
Nah, more like you can download the original set, but then if you decide you don't want a set, you can download a replacement which will override the textures and possible the T21's for the set, to get another set.  Not sure quite how if will work, as you would need to have the correct IID's for the set you want to replace.  It was just a thought.  As I said, I'd be open to Texturing requests, which would mean you get to replace the set that the requester wants.  I'm not onto T21's but will hopefully learn when it comes to doing them for the first set.

Luckily... I have organized SAM in such a way that we could have ALL sets with them having the same IIDs in separate DATs then you can go into each DAT and select all the textures and then TGI Edit the 6th digit to be the corresponding texture set.  Now, obviously, Im not making 16 DATs for each set so you can pick and choose which order in the TAB ring and which sets you want... But, I cant make a quick tutorial on how to change the organization of a set and how to replace an older set with a newer one, etc.... I dont see a need for this until we reach beyond 16 sets, which we are only at 10 or 11 right now (lots of room for expansion).  But even then, there are work arounds and we can find a new IID range to expand SAM into, I would just prefer not to get that far as my IID structure will be used for ALL the NWM when it is released.  RHW is already 3/4 converted and when released will be under the revised IID Structure to allow for more expansion and make it easier to control the expansion without potentially running into problems later.

Organization is the key to success!

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Diggis

Quote from: nerdly_dood on October 26, 2007, 12:38:18 PM
Open to requests, eh?  Like a request for a street with a single yellow line down the middle?  (There are some of those around where I live...roads have a double line)  It shouldn't be too hard to do that for the default gray streets and the black ones in the SAM.

I said once the rest of SAM is complete.  We are a wee way off that yet.

Jason, I was just throwing round ideas.  I think I get what you mean, but as you said, thats a wee way off yet.

Crissa

It'd be really complex to say X works with Y but not Z...

...But on the other hand, it might be really easy to have 'classes' of roads that might be swappable for another, if people think the slots are sufficiently scarce.

But personally, unless we're limited to less than a dozen, I don't think it'll be an issue.  Do you really think we'll have too many road textures?

-Crissa

(Still working on mine ^-^  Not sure on the ability to scale things appropriately.)

jplumbley

Crissa.. Obviously, since I am the "curator" so to speak.  I have the final word on what goes in and what doesn into the SAM.  I right now would like to hold a couple spots open just in case, but to be honest I havent seen anything different enough to warrent a new addition to the SAM other than what I have so far.  I dont want to do too many of the same kind of texture.

We already have:
A Gravel Road Texture
Two Dirt Road Textures
Two Red Brick Textures
A Grey Cobblestone Texture
Ashpalt Streets

What else is there to do?
Maybe a yellowish Sandstone Texture
Hable has another Red Brick in hexagons
Maybe another gravel and dirt texture

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

Pegasus's dirt texture's going in, isn't it?
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Yes it is SA... I actually have them here in PNG format ready to be made into FSH format for SC4... I just have to get around to plugging them in.  They will be ready for the next consolidated release of NAM/SAM/RHW.  The other Dirt Roads are the Torolca's Dirt Roads.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Diggis

The other one that sticks out to me would be Pegs scenice drive. 

Also, what road type would Ped Malls come under?

Shadow Assassin

The Ped Malls will probably be assigned a "Misc Network" tag.

The puzzle pieces for the ped malls are definitely Misc. Network.
New Horizons Productions

Diggis

OK, it was just to make them draggable.  I know jason is planning on making the BSC paths draggable, which means that the Ped malls should also be doable.

Andreas

The SFBT had some discussions about draggable ped-malls a few days ago - it certainly would be a nice change from the puzzle pieces, and make things a lot easier. We could make several starter puzzle pieces with the individual texture styles, and it would be nice to create some T21 exemplar files for random props (pedestrians, benches, lampposts etc.) that could appear automatically. :)
Andreas

Diggis

I'd be more than happy to offer my texturing services should they be needed. 

nerdly_dood

Oh ok, that request of mine isn't urgent bc that kind of street isn't common.

Still, a very &apls job so far :thumbsup:
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!