• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Diggis, I'm using this one -> Click!

Like I said I managed to work around it, and it's also good to hear that it would be included with the SAM!  ;D However, I'm a bit concerned about the loss of diagonal dirt streets then?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

nerdly_dood

SUGGESTION:
To remove the ugly dirt that shows up on SAM streets in medium/high density, I think the textures should be edited to remove the dirt/grass/mud that shows up on no-zone SAM streets.  I know that low density zones do not show the dirt, but gras instead, so I think the dirt is unneccessary, but it doesn't really matter for dirt and gravel streets--just ones with a rigid surface.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

ssc4k

well if your not going to zone them why use them??? your only going to see the "ugly dirt" for a minute anyway :p
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature and help him gain world domination.

Diggis

Quote from: M4346 on October 07, 2007, 11:55:16 AM
Diggis, I'm using this one -> Click!

Like I said I managed to work around it, and it's also good to hear that it would be included with the SAM!  ;D However, I'm a bit concerned about the loss of diagonal dirt streets then?

OK, I looked into your issue, and it makes sense that it works that way, as the Mod you had is an override for Trolca's dirt road mod, meaning all your default (ie non sam) roads will be Trolcas textures, with Euro intersections, and all your others will be SAM textures with standard intersections. (there will be an addon for Euro roads done)

As for the loss of the diagonals, if you keep that mod installed you will still have dirt roads where out textures aren't yet (ie the diagonals and other intersections)

Shadow Assassin

Quotewell if your not going to zone them why use them??? your only going to see the "ugly dirt" for a minute anyway :p

They still appear in medium-density areas. This still has to be fixed.
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Sorry, can someone post a pic of this issue?  There should be a dirt base for no wealth, a light grass for low, and niceish grass for med, and a really nice grass for high.  If this isn't showing up right, we have an issue with the textures.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteThere should be a dirt base for no wealth, a light grass for low, and niceish grass for med, and a really nice grass for high.  If this isn't showing up right, we have an issue with the textures.

No wealth should not have a base at all. That's because it's used for medium and high density situations. On the other hand, the other wealth levels work just fine. Wealth level 0 needs to be edited. The others are fine.

There are no modding issues with the textures, it's just a visual issue that can be resolved by cutting out the grass/dirt entirely from no wealth. This applies to the Trolca brick streets, Heblem's asphalt streets and the cobblestone streets.

By the way, the SAM version of the controller file may cause minor issues with the RHW (missing textures for the transition between RHW and OWR).
New Horizons Productions

Palpatine001

Now this I can find a lot of uses for in Solaria

Will give this a whirl and post CJ pics of it soon

But first register at LEX  &Thk/(
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Diggis

SA, thanks.  When I said should, I was refering to what is in the set as it stands.  Jason mentioned the other day that he wants to remove the base out of the no wealth, which is easy enough.  I was just concerned that the no wealth texture was showing up in Med and High.

Serkanner

Quote from: Palpatine001 on October 17, 2007, 10:12:38 PM

But first register at LEX  &Thk/(

Be careful ... you might be won over by the Bright Side

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 17, 2007, 10:11:00 PM
By the way, the SAM version of the controller file may cause minor issues with the RHW (missing textures for the transition between RHW and OWR).

I was going to say something about that myself.  Was doing some testing of some ideas and came across this problem.  Hope Alex sees this so it will be fixed with the next release of the nam controller.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Palpatine001

Quote from: Serkanner on October 18, 2007, 12:42:28 AM
Be careful ... you might be won over by the Bright Side

Ummmm no comment on that one  $%Grinno$%

As for SAM, I thought I might showcase here the gravel version of it being used in East Solaria to congratulate the workers on this and as an Independent Advertisement for SAM

Picture width reduced to 1000 and linked to the original one. /RippleJet

Going through the Eastern Solarian Forest from State Highway One to a windmill farm

It being used at State Highway One

Again  &apls to the SAMers here for making this possible

Other SAM textures have been used in Solarian City
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Haljackey

Wow.... Have I been out of it.

I only recently knew of this project, and thus I decided to check out this thread.  After looking at this project, All I have to say is this:

This is some amazing work!  &apls I mean, absolutely amazing!  Give yourselves a pat on the back everyone, you truly deserve it! ()stsfd()

This is just so fantastic that I may have to start making streets again! (I've always disliked the street texture, so I just used roads instead) :D

Excellent job!
-Haljackey

Diggis

Cheers guys, and Palpatine, looking good.  We're still working on texturing up the final sets of textures, and have done some retexturing of the first released sets that sufferered from being 1 pixel to small so they didn't meet when you rotated them. 

This is something Maxis did ()what() on the original sets, and took some fixing.

jplumbley

Thank you guys for your support!

For the time being we are working on getting 2 Dirt Roads finished up.  Diggis has already sent me the textures for PEGs Dirt Roads which will be part of the next release.  We will also have Roundabouts ready for the next release, although it may not be for all sets.  The Avenue intersections will be fully functional and OWR Intersections may get done.  We will have to see what we get done by the time we build the next release of NAM.

As Diggis has stated recently we have found that there was an issue with the original MAXIS textures, as to being 63 pixels wide for the Street Surface.  Thanks, to Rickmastfan for noticing this!  &apls  Unfortunately, this means all the original sets will be fixed too wasting valuable time and probably not all of it will be fixed before the next release as there are over 150 textures already.  The reason this needs to be fixed is because if you flip or rotate one of the pieces will look as if it is shifted and will look funny.  If anyone looks at some of my early pictures in-game you will notice I made a few mistakes on the Herringbone set which I have since fixed that will show a more exagerated view of what I mean by shifted textures.

Once again, thank you for the support everyone!  There will be more to add in the next Version of SAM and I hope you have been enjoying what we have released to this date.  Dirt Roads are on the way, maybe I will finally have time to get those textures in game and show a picture sometime this week, like I told Diggis I would over a week ago.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on October 23, 2007, 04:59:45 AM
As Diggis has stated recently we have found that there was an issue with the original MAXIS textures, as to being 63 pixels wide for the Street Surface.  Thanks, to Rickmastfan for noticing this!  &apls

Glad to be of service. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteUnfortunately, this means all the original sets will be fixed too wasting valuable time and probably not all of it will be fixed before the next release as there are over 150 textures already.

At least it was caught now, as opposed to later on down the track, say, when you've had all 16 sets filled AND diagonals added. Then it'd be an absolute b*tch to do then. :P

EDIT: Added emphasis to a certain word.
New Horizons Productions

Diggis

Yup, amen to that.

and for a tease, I've edited the cobblestone set to reinstate the edge detail, and granite (looking) kerb from the original.

Shadow Assassin

Love the detail, it looks good.

Not sure if it will show up clearly in game, though?
New Horizons Productions

Diggis