• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Ah, that is good news! A very fine street texture as a starter!

Diggis

Looking good Jason, I do really like these textures.  Can I make one suggestion about the crossings?  Rotate the direction of the texture so it runs across the pedestrian flow.  Just breaks it up a week bit.

Dino007

TIGR

Diggis

Dino,  that has been discussed on the last few pages.  There is a link to a fix for it on the previous page.

Dino007

Quote from: Diggis on March 09, 2009, 06:53:03 AM
Dino,  that has been discussed on the last few pages.  There is a link to a fix for it on the previous page.
I've noticed the pics but I didn't noticed the link to file  ???
Tnx!
TIGR

deathtopumpkins

Wow, Jason, those are looking great!  &apls I'm getting excited for the next SAM release now!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

homefryes

Quote from: Dino007 on March 09, 2009, 08:29:30 AM
I've noticed the pics but I didn't noticed the link to file  ???
Tnx!
Hi, Dino - the link is not obvious. It's in this post [linkie] at the end of the sentence.

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Dino007

Quote from: homefryes on March 09, 2009, 01:05:32 PM
Hi, Dino - the link is not obvious. It's in this post [linkie] at the end of the sentence.

— Don

Yep, I downloaded this :thumbsup:
TIGR

LE0

Those are nice looking but would it be possible to model intersections after this mod: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1526

:thumbsup:
Leoland coming Spring 2009

jplumbley

Thank you for all the replies today everyone!  :thumbsup:  I am glad to be back making some progress on SAM again, I know Ive kinda left everyone hanging since last year with SAM v3.  I just got home from work so I have nothing to show as of yet for today's work, but maybe before I goto bed there will be another update.

Quote from: LE0 on March 09, 2009, 03:58:12 PM
Those are nice looking but would it be possible to model intersections after this mod: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1526

:thumbsup:

Hiya Leo,

I wont be modelling this texture set off of textures like Hableurg's you've linked.  The reason is for realistic purposes, this texture set is a brick set which would entail hard surface changes such as what I have included in the texture set currently.  For soft surface streets like gravel and dirt streets it would make more sense to have a texture style more like what you have linked.  Hope that gives you some idea of why I am doing them the way I am.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

b22rian

Jason...

its great to see you posting, and active with SAM again...

My best wishes always...

Brian

jplumbley

Quote from: Diggis on March 09, 2009, 05:28:40 AM
Looking good Jason, I do really like these textures.  Can I make one suggestion about the crossings?  Rotate the direction of the texture so it runs across the pedestrian flow.  Just breaks it up a week bit.

Shaun, I have taken your advice (I think)... This does look much better, what do you think?

Beyond that minor change to the crossings... I started work on the Diagonals...  I may have met my match when it comes to texturing.  This was definitely a chore and a half to complete these today.  I put my money on Shaun wanting to fix these ones up a bit LOL.  Anyways, what do you all think of my diagonals?

I know.. not the best eh..  ???  Awell, that was my best try at these, maybe someone can do them better  ::)

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

dedgren

Jason, thanks for the PM.  I'm more than happy to lend a hand with things- as for that texture tutorial, well, I'll show everyone how to make these

over at 3RR [linkie] as soon as I can get it finished up and posted- probably around midnight Alaska time.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Diggis

Cheers David, the straight to diagonal transition were always the worst part, along with the 90 turn.

Jason, what you have done at the intersections is exactly what I was thinking.  Had another couple of thoughts for the street-street intersections:

1. Maybe to seperate the 2 directions make a crossing of a different colour stone, similar to what you have on the roads.  I would think maybe a charcoal colour.

2. Just run the kerb straight through the intersections. 

What you do need to do though is remove the dark shading along the edge of the diagonal shown in the first pic on the last row (straight diagonal T).   This is there to simulate the camber in the road, and that wouldn't be there at an intersection.

jplumbley

Alrighty... my first time doing curves.  I hope you guys like the way I have done these now  ::)  I have kinda followed David's Tutorial in 3RR, but I added a little twist to it for my own personal abilities.

Basically I did the exact same setup as David, but instead of rotating, copy, paste, rotating, copy, paste that David suggested doing.  I imported the base image into AutoCAD, using AutoCAD, I took the 10 pixel section of the texture and then used the Array command on it.  I Arrayed using the Angle to fill and the Angle between copied items.  The following is what I have come up with, very similar to what David had, and I added a few extra textures aswell for good measure.

What do you guys think?

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Xyloxadoria

Nice textures the color your choose makes it look like a burlap sac, but ive seen roads just like it so i would defintly use it.

nerdly_dood

Not bad at all! Do you have any plans about which slot you'll put it in?
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jplumbley

Quote from: nerdly_dood on March 10, 2009, 07:00:37 PM
Not bad at all! Do you have any plans about which slot you'll put it in?

Possibly set 0 or set 6.  Not sure yet.  Also, toying with the idea of releasing this as a SAM v3.1 or something prior to a new full version to get people thinking about SAM again.  But, I didnt say that outloud.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

FrankU

The straight parts are gorgeous!

I have some comment on the curves though.

One comment on the images: the texture of the curves looks too much repetitious, while I do not see this repetition in the straight parts. This is due tuo the way you copied the same piece of texture, I guess.

The second comment is of a real life kind:
I don't think that real streets with cobblestones or bricks are layed that way. For making curves the way you show here the stones or bricks should be thinner on the inner corner side than on the outer corner side. This would make the corners way too expensive, because this kind of bricks is expensive.

Funnily enough I live in a country where you find brick streets all over the place, but I don't know how the streets are layed in reality. I should take a look, make some photo's and show them here, I guess.

My guess at the moment is that the way you made the corners in your earlier version is more realistic: just diagonal bricks.

But nevertheless: good work!

Diggis

I didn't want to mention the repitition, but yes, I did also notice that... sorry Jason. 

The way it would be contstructed in RL is that you would set out the straights in each direction, and end up with spokes, and then you would fill them in with more stones.  The gaps would have slivers added in, or possibly just grouted depending on how big they are.