• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptCity

Maybe I'm just being dense and misunderstanding the issue, but wasn't there a 'fix' for the dirt crossings attached here?

Please forgive my denseness if I totally missed the point.

Diggis

Looks like it yes... see I am onto this  :D

I'm surprised it was still missed out of the last version though.  I blame Jason, cos he's not here to defend himself.

z

The RTMT Team is beginning the design of RTMT Stations for SAM, and we would like your input.  An initial proposal can be found in this post on the RTMT board; if you are interested, please read the post and respond in that thread.  Thank you!

homefryes

Quote from: CaptCity on March 05, 2009, 11:02:15 PMMaybe I'm just being dense and misunderstanding the issue, but wasn't there a 'fix' for the dirt crossings attached here?
CaptCity, thank you for the link. This is what happens when I am away for so long!

I did, however, find a couple of other missing diag SAM3-to-diag road textures:

While they may seem relatively unuseful connections, I stumbled on this issue while creating a rural tile and I wanted to reduce the number of "roads" until development grew to support upgrading. These transitions are so I can use FAR where needed, and eventually the dirt road would be upgraded to road.
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

jplumbley

Quote from: homefryes on March 07, 2009, 10:13:44 AM
CaptCity, thank you for the link. This is what happens when I am away for so long!

I did, however, find a couple of other missing diag SAM3-to-diag road textures:

While they may seem relatively unuseful connections, I stumbled on this issue while creating a rural tile and I wanted to reduce the number of "roads" until development grew to support upgrading. These transitions are so I can use FAR where needed, and eventually the dirt road would be upgraded to road.

Picture 1
There is no RUL written for that specific texture and probably there is no texture for it.  When you see a reversion to the original "Street" textures like that, generally there are no RULs written for that situation.

Picture 2
The RUL was written but no texture was included.  The texture Artist may not have known of that texxture needing to be done.  Diagonals were kind of a surprise when Memo came out of nowhere with the RUL set so Shaun was scrambling to catch up.

Quote from: Diggis on March 06, 2009, 03:47:55 AM
I'm surprised it was still missed out of the last version though.  I blame Jason, cos he's not here to defend himself.

Well you were the on who compiled the latest version of the textures in SAM v3, the release the textures in question were released I believe.  There was no update to those textures on the LEX or STEX as far as I am aware since then.  So, maybe we should get a couple extra sets completeed to make a noteworthy release for a v4 sometime.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Pat

hey Jason welcome back!!! I would be willing to give you what I have for my gravel road set for V4  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

LE0

I would love to see pics of these please ;D

Planned future additions:
SAM - 6 - SFBT Sand Streets
SAM - 10 - Mexican Brick Streets by Hableurg
SAM - 11 - BSC Park Paths
SAM - 12 - pegs Scenic Drive
SAM - 13 - GLR in Street by Olsaz (this is possible with limitations, limitations may prevent full scale implementation.)

:)
Leoland coming Spring 2009

jplumbley

Quote from: LE0 on March 07, 2009, 01:08:42 PM
I would love to see pics of these please ;D

Planned future additions:
SAM - 6 - SFBT Sand Streets
SAM - 10 - Mexican Brick Streets by Hableurg
SAM - 11 - BSC Park Paths
SAM - 12 - [url=http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7066.0]pegs[/url] Scenic Drive
SAM - 13 - GLR in Street by Olsaz (this is possible with limitations, limitations may prevent full scale implementation.)

:)

I have just editted that portion.  It was last updated before we had the "Additional SAM Textures Proprosal Thread" last year.  I will be looking at some of the texture sets from that thread and trying to put together a release eventually.  I do not have a timeframe as I *just* installed Photoshop again today.  It will take me some time to evaluate what we have from those proposed sets, create some of the textures and find someone to help with the diagonals on these sets.  I am looking at adding new texture sets for ID sets, 0, 1, 6, A, B, C, D... which would be a total of 7 new sets.  Parking Lots will be moved to another texture range which I intend to reserve for a future project of mine.

Also, I need to re-evaluate the RUL set and see if there is any new features I could add for a version 4 release.  Maybe you guys have some ideas on what you would want from new features to the SAM sets.

Additions of new sets will increase the file size of the SAM and will most likely exceed the 10mb download limit.  For upload to the STEX, it will need to be broken into 2 separate files for download.  I may be able to work out something with the LEX Admins here to get it uploaded in one file, but we shall see later when we have some sort of release closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

nerdly_dood

I'd kinda given up on my own cracked-asphalt  SAM set - what I've gotten done so far is available for download as an attachment to a post that I'll link to soon here - I still have the files available though. If anyone wants to finish it for me I could send it to them, and if anyone wants me to finish it for them I might try to.

I also have a somewhat unrelated ambition to add variety to the number of crosswalk textures available for road, OWR, etc intersections but I can't make any guarantees on that.

EDIT: I figure i should mention that this SAM set I've made replaces the Herringbone street set because I feel that the brick streets look better (IMO)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

dedgren

Jason, Shaun- I'm more than happy to work with you on a v4.  Please consider the Set 3, 4 and 7 wide radius curves and STR crossings I did yours to use as you please.  As always, I have ideas for more.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Diggis

Quote from: jplumbley on March 07, 2009, 11:58:16 AM
Picture 1
There is no RUL written for that specific texture and probably there is no texture for it.  When you see a reversion to the original "Street" textures like that, generally there are no RULs written for that situation.

Picture 2
The RUL was written but no texture was included.  The texture Artist may not have known of that texxture needing to be done.  Diagonals were kind of a surprise when Memo came out of nowhere with the RUL set so Shaun was scrambling to catch up.

Well you were the on who compiled the latest version of the textures in SAM v3, the release the textures in question were released I believe.  There was no update to those textures on the LEX or STEX as far as I am aware since then.  So, maybe we should get a couple extra sets completeed to make a noteworthy release for a v4 sometime.

Yeah, I did pull them together.  I'm pretty sure there is a texture done for the diagonal dirt transition as well.  Will have to take a look.

I'm up for finishing up a few more sets.  Will talk to you about it.  David, thanks for your offer.  The files in the STR can stay there, only really need them in one place. I'll send you the PNG's for the additional sets as we do them.

homefryes

To all of you: I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for all of your tireless work on the newest release, in particular (here in this thread) the SAM filler and wide-radius curve pieces!  &apls I did, however, notice one piece missing, and that's the Rural Road SAM4 ortho filler piece. I am looking forward to using these new pieces and am off to get started!! Thanks again!!

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Andreas

Quote from: homefryes on March 08, 2009, 09:46:53 AM
I did, however, notice one piece missing, and that's the Rural Road SAM4 ortho filler piece. I am looking forward to using these new pieces and am off to get started!! Thanks again!!

Yeah, we are aware of that. The piece is there, but apparently, the RUL got lost somehow. Hopefully, we can retrieve it soon, then all you need is to download the NAM Essentials again. :)
Andreas

j-dub

Guys, not to sound smart, but I don't have no such gap between the dirt street and the road. Granted there is no exact road to dirt texture transition written for this yet, but I don't have no missing texture problem. Why? There is a work around to this, BUT you must have open space to allow the road to break off so it has a false connection to nothingness. You do this by having first drawing a rail 2 tiles, then placing rail over diagonal road, delete the excess rail, the viaduct dissappears, then you have a left over diagonal road. Only continue the diagonal road away from the street. Then you use the diagonal street starter, where the one side of the road is connected to nothing, the diagonal starter will go into the road, then have the diagonal street eventually lead into a curve to a ortho street so you can place the dirt SAM starter, and you get this.

I thought I did see some SAM roads already diagonal transition, but for those that don't, this works for any variation. Momentarilly while it won't be a diagonal transition, this substitute without the vanilla in between is better then a missing gap.

jplumbley

Alright.. so I have started playing around with some textures I had been given months ago as part of the SAM Additional Textures Sets Proposal Thread, way back when.

The base set of textures were created by Squidi and these are probably my favorite textures that came out of the Proposal thread.  Here are a couple samples of what I have started doing to complete the set.  Id like some feedback on the way I have done the transitions from Squidi's Brick Streets to the Road and OWR.

Anyways.. this was mostly to show, that developement is starting again and this time we are planning to include more sets!

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Pat

that is looking good there Jason and now my set feels inferior to what you got to show in less time...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jplumbley

I have some more samples of what I am doing to butcher Squidi's Yellow Brick Road textures... Hehe I like that name Yellow Brick Road textures.   :thumbsup:  Lets just say Im excited to be able to have time to devote to SAM again, and well... lets let the progress show how excited I am.  I feel like I am getting a *little* better at modifying the textures than I was in the begining.  I have been getting some practice at work making drawings in Photoshop for Tender documents.

Anyways... here is a bit more.  Hope you like any feedback is welcomed!

Those are just the Road intersections, I have the OWR and Avenue intersections completed aswell.  Also, a couple diagonals done, they will be my biggest challenge to complete though and will take a bit longer I think.  Not a bad start for the first day back though.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tarkus

Jason, welcome back to the modding world!  The textures look fantastic--you've got them figured out in short order.  Certainly not butchered. ;)

-Alex

dedgren

Jason, it is excellent to see you back and working on the SAM!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

woooo Jason's back :) good to see you

Awesome textures too
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms