• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

i cant see how it is affecting it... as it is just a texture overlay...???

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Andreas

Quote from: jplumbley on January 13, 2008, 09:06:07 AM
Did you use the IID scheme you and I were talking about the other day?

Yes, I did. The first six digits of the instance ID are the same as the ID of the texture the T21's are associated with, and for the last two digits, I simply started from 0 and counted upwards - there are about 45 T21's for the straight street texture, and a couple for the intersections. In order to create T21's for the other texture variants, I "only" need to copy the T21's and change all related IDs. Most likely, the dirt roads don't really need any treatment, and the parking lots could be left out as well (maybe apart from some lampposts). I will create additional mods for the other brick street, the cobblestones and the asphalt streets, though.
Andreas

jplumbley

Quote from: Andreas on January 13, 2008, 10:03:59 AM
Yes, I did. The first six digits of the instance ID are the same as the ID of the texture the T21's are associated with, and for the last two digits, I simply started from 0 and counted upwards - there are about 45 T21's for the straight street texture, and a couple for the intersections. In order to create T21's for the other texture variants, I "only" need to copy the T21's and change all related IDs. Most likely, the dirt roads don't really need any treatment, and the parking lots could be left out as well (maybe apart from some lampposts). I will create additional mods for the other brick street, the cobblestones and the asphalt streets, though.

Awesome, that makes life easier for me in the future!  It will take a few seconds to make a new set of T21s for additional SAM sets.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

Well, more like a few minutes, since you have to edit all Exemplar ID and kPropertyID_LotConfigNetworkTileId properties manually (changing the instance ID is easy, though) - or is there a "search and replace" feature for those that I'm not aware of?
Andreas

paroch

@Warrior:

It was in the read me, so I didn't then actually install and play it.

And playing in Swedish - that's brave!

jplumbley

Quote from: Andreas on January 13, 2008, 10:21:49 AM
Well, more like a few minutes, since you have to edit all Exemplar ID and kPropertyID_LotConfigNetworkTileId properties manually (changing the instance ID is easy, though) - or is there a "search and replace" feature for those that I'm not aware of?

Your right, I forgot about that... LOL.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jonathan

Quote from: star.torturer on January 13, 2008, 09:42:42 AM
i cant see how it is affecting it... as it is just a texture overlay...???

Joe
The SAM just a texture overlay?
Each texture is effectively a seperate network in the terms of LHD and RHD, the RHW-4 which uses the same technology as the SAM had some problems with LHD before release, but the RHW-2 which is just a texture change of the ANT didn't.

@Paroch: I've pretty much memorised the UI, so I don't read it even playing it in English.

jplumbley

Quote from: paroch on January 13, 2008, 09:29:33 AM
I recently downloaded the SAM, got all excited then read the readme and I think I'm right in saying that SAM is not compatible with Left Hand Drive.

I appreciate the SAM team have plenty of other things on their list - just wondered if Left Hand Drive is likely to be worked on?

And for the other Brits and Left Hand Drivers - have you found a way round this?

Thanks,

Paul

I have had reports that LHD works perfectly fine.  I have not tested this because, frankly, I dont use LHD.  My other testers aswell do not have LHD.  Due to the fact it hasnt been tested I put that into the original readme, because I dont really know if it works.  I forgot it was in there during BETA v2 and probably could have taken it out, because I have had reports that it does work.

I am not sure, therefor, you should try it.  If it works for you, I will remove it from the Readme and LHD will be fully compatible.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Glenni

Here's 12 of the props rendered, most of them got a little raped by the BAT renderer though... &mmm

memo

@Jplumbley: LHD should be working fine except for the rail crossings, since those require extra paths. However, I didn't test it though.

paroch

Quote from: jplumbley on January 13, 2008, 10:57:33 AM
I have had reports that LHD works perfectly fine.  I have not tested this because, frankly, I dont use LHD.  My other testers aswell do not have LHD.  Due to the fact it hasnt been tested I put that into the original readme, because I dont really know if it works.  I forgot it was in there during BETA v2 and probably could have taken it out, because I have had reports that it does work.

I am not sure, therefor, you should try it.  If it works for you, I will remove it from the Readme and LHD will be fully compatible.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Paris

I have read and reread the FAQ's, but I am still at a loss...

QuoteAS of January 3, 2008 at 12:00am EST.

SAM - Street Addon Mod v2 PATCH 'A' was released to the LEX and the STEX.  Anyone who has downloaded the Windows installer before this time will be required to download the patch and overwrite the file within the Plugins\NAM\SAM folder.

Anyone who is downloading the Windows installer after this date will NOT need to download PATCH 'A' because the installer has been updated.

I downloaded the SAM 14/1/2008 today and still get the Herringbone Textures problem. If I understand the above correctly I shouldn't have to get the patch; is this correct?

The date stamp on the Herringbone Texture from the installer is 21/12/2007 which is older than the patch date.
The installer's date stamp is 29/12/2007.

Any help would be most appreciated.

schm0

Is the SAM compatible with Jeronij's dirty streets? In the heading post, it says that the SAM is compatible with several sidewalk mods, but no mention of this specific mod.

Thanks for your response in advance.
schm0

Andreas

Quote from: schm0 on January 14, 2008, 10:07:54 AM
Is the SAM compatible with Jeronij's dirty streets? In the heading post, it says that the SAM is compatible with several sidewalk mods, but no mention of this specific mod.

Jeroni's dirt street mod merely replaces the street textures in rural and as an option in undeveloped zones. It doesn't alter the street tool itself in any way, and it won't affect the SAM either.
Andreas

jplumbley

Quote from: schm0 on January 14, 2008, 10:07:54 AM

If I am not mistaken, Jeronij's Dirty Streets are an extention of the Torolca's Dirt Streets.  Unless I am think about a different mod.  And if this is the case then, the bulk of that mod was made into a SAM Variation in BETA v2.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

Well, one advantage of Jeroni's mod is that it also works with diagonal streets, which are not covered by the SAM (yet). It is indeed based on trolca's old dirt street textures (like the SAM texture variation), but as a wealth-/zone-dependent texture mod for the in-game streets (including NAM diagonal streets), it shouldn't have any impact on the SAM.
Andreas

kassarc16

A quick question for the SAM savvy: Is it an eventual plan to do something like this for roads? Sometimes streets just don't have the capacity and speed you want. I'm also looking for a way to have rural shoulders like in PEGs Rural mods so I can place houses without sidewalks showing up, but still have some in town.

Also, I've heard that intersections with other networks are supposed to stop the SAM from spreading, but that doesn't seem the case with Road + intersections. Am I missing something?

BigSlark

I can attest that Jeroni's mod that uses trolca's streets does not conflict with SAM. SAM simply overrides the textures, just like it does with the standard streets.

I had somehow missed the SAM streetside mod release, which may lead me to abandon trolca's mod.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

you know i was rather skepitcal with SAM but you know since I played with it and learning the the benifits of it, I love it and thank you all for this wonderful tool!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

Quote from: kassarc16 on January 14, 2008, 02:36:17 PM
Also, I've heard that intersections with other networks are supposed to stop the SAM from spreading, but that doesn't seem the case with Road + intersections. Am I missing something?

Well, the Road Intersections are coded so that the SAM texture variant will carry through the intersection.  It won't for Avenues (at the moment).  There's also certain combinations of intersections, etc. that haven't been coded yet that will cause a reversion to Maxis Street textures.  (I know at least in SAM v1 that putting a Street/Street T-Intersection next to a Street 90-degree bend caused this.)

As far as transitioning from one SAM texture to another, that would be nearly impossible until some special transition pieces are built, or an override were put in place such that the transition would be draggable.

In the interim, though, you could make a 3-tile transition, going from SAM Texture, to Road, to Street/SAM Variant, which is a foolproof method of breaking off a SAM Variant.

Hope that answers your question.

-Alex (Tarkus)