• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FX BAT Workshop

Started by frukox, November 14, 2014, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Well maybe it's a rendering error or whatever, my point was those black surfaces are an eyesore and need to be addressed before release.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

c.p.

In general it is a good building, but I agree with vortext that the roof edge should be fixed.  It doesn't look like a shadow to me.  The triangular black area on the left could be a flipped normal.  If you select the faces that form that black triangle, then in the "Surface Properties" section of the modifier panel, hit the "Flip" button.  That will flip the normals of those faces.  If that isn't it, maybe it is a texture mapping problem.  In that case, you could detach those faces to a new object and re-map them from a different angle.

frukox

I'm rebuilding the roof. But I don't understand what you mean by surface properties. I couldn't find what you meant there.

c.p.

It is here:

But you have to select some faces before these options appear in the menu.

vester

When you use the flip, the triangles, between two tones of red. The right side is the bright red.

First of the UV-Mapping on the roof. If you use the same material for all the surfaces should be the same (which you can find in the UVW-map moddifier under parameters)
Maybe go a bit up on the size. Tiles and bricks of RL size, tend to make a blur with no structure.

On the pink lines. Left on first, the surface is bended over this line. The two purple lines should be parallel to each other, this will solve this problem. Maybe draw up in the side view the triangle you see at the end. Add an extrude to that.

The pink lines on the right, sort of the same problem. The roof shape is just a mess. (sorry can't find a better word for it)
Here you maybe could start out with a box, converted it to a mesh, then drag the three out upper corner down a merge them with the vertices at the bottom.
[EDIT:] Arghh, now I remember why I am not using gmax.

Draw two triangles and an extrude to them. Them convert them to mesh. Drag the other corners down, then click on Weld -> Selected. [/EDIT]

frukox

Do you mean it by using lines with vertices merged? Sorry I don't have 3dsmax. I have to make do with this.

vester

Draw a triangle (along one half of the rectangle at bottom.)
Add an extrude modifier.
Turn it into mesh.
Then move 2 of the top verities, moved them down to the bottom and weld it togther with the bottom verities.

frukox

Ok, I finished the building with the method you mentioned above:

Please tell me the issues you don't like.

j-dub

So many yellow things. So much to this program, this looks so confusing.

I will say the end result so far looks so natural, it looks like a house that already shipped with the game.

frukox

j-dub, it is the building I live in ;D those are illumination signs(I used spots.)

Do you think the building is ready for release?

nos.17

Quote from: frukox on November 24, 2014, 11:33:07 AM
j-dub, it is the building I live in ;D those are illumination signs(I used spots.)

Do you think the building is ready for release?

You are definitely getting closer, and it is looking better and better. Before release though, I think it would be good to see the house in-game first, from a few different angles.  :thumbsup:

noahclem

This is looking very nice and you're making great progress  &apls  The one thing I'd like to see improved is the nightlights: is it possible to give them a bit more variety instead of just having a uniform yellow color appear in the windows? Iirc some batters have been able to achieve a nice lighting affect in GMAX by applying a light texture to the internal floors--but I'm not a BATter so take my advice with a grain of salt  ::)

art128

Yes indeed, a few shots from in-game would be welcomed to see how it stands next to a few other houses/buildings. :)

Though so far on the modeling I'd say it's well done.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog