• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Sports Academy

Started by tooheys, April 26, 2008, 04:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Well Shaun, seeing as you're asking!!!!....... I guess new nets would be nice!  I'm not sure that the in-game Maxis ones are "stand-alone" so may not work for what we have in mind anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

tooheys

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2008, 12:16:02 PM
Daaaaaaaaaang Diggis that is looking sweet and beside I really dont think that Dave is sleeping lol...

Pat, 20 minutes to midnight, believe me when I say I was asleep. Unlike Joan, who at that time is usually settling down to watch a late night movie   ;) Shaun, the nets look sweet, can't wait to put these to use. Just flick them our way when you're ready and we'll have a look at them ingame.

Just hope we can put some lots together that do your bats credit.

Dave

Diggis

Quote from: paroch on April 28, 2008, 01:00:42 PM
Well Shaun, seeing as you're asking!!!!....... I guess new nets would be nice!  I'm not sure that the in-game Maxis ones are "stand-alone" so may not work for what we have in mind anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

Well I have sent you your fences.  Let me know what you think.  I'll cut the nets up tonight and get them through too.

Quote from: tooheys on May 01, 2008, 03:31:19 AM
Pat, 20 minutes to midnight, believe me when I say I was asleep. Unlike Joan, who at that time is usually settling down to watch a late night movie   ;) Shaun, the nets look sweet, can't wait to put these to use. Just flick them our way when you're ready and we'll have a look at them ingame.

Just hope we can put some lots together that do your bats credit.

Dave

Hehe, I had a chat to her the other day and it was 2am her time.  She was just working on her house.  :thumbsup:

Pat

LoL Shaun and Dave you 2 are NUTs alright  :D   Any progress at all dave??

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Plenty Pat, but nothing to look at yet. Shaun is working hard on some new cricket props and we are starting to work on the design for the next cricket ground.

Paul has a few ideas he's working on as well.

Hopefully some pics over the next week or two.

Cheers

Dave

Diggis

Little present for you boys:

I'll check the files tomorrow and send them out to you.

paroch

oooooooooooh, NICE.

Now I can just guess that our American friends will be thinking "what on earth is that" (probably much like half the England team  :D )

BarbyW

Woohoo, nice nets there, Diggis. :thumbsup:
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Jmouse

You are so right about what "our American friends will be thinking," Paul! I thought the nets were supposed to be on the ground stretched across the middle of the courts, but guess I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to sports! ;D

OK, five seconds of "serious:" Looking good, Shaun, and thank you for all your help!

Now that's enough of that...
Jm

Pat

Looking good whatever that is supposed to be!!!  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jmyers2043

Hey Diggis... those are cool nets.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Diggis

OK, for our World Series loving friends who only play themselves  :D  these are cricket practice nets.  Basically there to stop people having to chase the ball.   I've rendered these in 3 parts:  The end, the top and the side so that I can encase a player inside them.  With those 3 pieces, and a couple of wickets I'm still to sort out we will be able to make as many nets as we need.

tooheys

Graet work Shaun, now we have somewhere to practice  :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

There's only one thing missing:

The hideous astroturf that is virtually necessary in the bottom of those nets. :P I've never seen a cricket net without an astroturf base... I mean, they don't play on real grass in the nets - it'd be extremely difficult to maintain. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 12, 2008, 05:32:18 AM

The hideous astroturf that is virtually necessary in the bottom of those nets. :P I've never seen a cricket net without an astroturf base... I mean, they don't play on real grass in the nets - it'd be extremely difficult to maintain. ;)

Oh, you mean this?

tooheys

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 12, 2008, 05:32:18 AM

Now come on SA, do you really think we'd overlook the pitch  $%Grinno$%.

Shaun, everything fits together nicely:thumbsup: I know you are still working on these and a few more variations as well, can't wait for the end result and we get the chance to put together some more cricket lots. You're certainly earning your money (well substitute money for nuts :)).

Dave

Pat

*Still scratches head* Heheheeh looking real good here still!!!

BTW for the combined effort here you all now have the 5 star Michelin rating you deserve!!!

Hamish

These look great, but would it be to hard to ask for some more batsmen variety.

Like, have the bowler down the pitch and the batsmen halfway thorough a pull shot, a cut shot or something similar.

But these look really good anyway.
<center></center>

Diggis

At the moment we are using the set Lee did for his ground.  I'm not good with modellng people but I might ask some questions.  ;)

paroch

OK, was not sure whether to post here or in the Paroch Random Stuff thread, but thought it was time for the sports academy to resurface!!

Shaun kindly put together some tennis textures and props.

The Maxis tennis court was starting to bore me to pieces!  Peg did a great job with his tennis park and those green fences - but even they were based the Maxis tennis court.  There are a few others out there, but the vast majority use the maxis green and pink combo.

I think it was Yoder who put some tennis stadia together with blue courts, but I wanted to see some gritty realism.  Concrete courts are derigeur in English municipal parks.  Usually they are not brilliantly cared for, with torn nets, leaves piled up in the corner and holes in the fences!  And then of course there are clay courts, not so common in England but seein in France and Spain.  And of course, tennis just wouldn't be tennis without some proper grass courts!

So, here is what I've lotted up so far:

So in essence three textures - concrete, clay and grass and three sizes, single, double and treble.

A closer look shows the leaves piled up.  Timed to appear in autumn and winter (nice thought Shaun).

And closer again shows you the grittiness of the galvanised wire fences that is what I see in real life.

Personally being a Brit I love the grass courts.  Makes me think of Wimbledon!

Notice the slightly worn patches - again a great idea from Shaun.

Here are two triple concrete sets placed in the BSC park setting.  The gates are placed to line up with a central path.

This is a 7x3 lot that is BSC Park Compliant and has a path with SG rose beds running along the courts, with the snack bar (and hire shop) placed between the courts.  So you can hire a racket and buy a nice cold drink.

And the same 7x3 set up with grass courts.

And a little experiment placing the maxis basketball court over the top of Shaun's tennis textures.

I'm thinking now, what would need to be packaged together to make a release of NUTs tennis courts.  A set of 9 "standalone" courts (i.e concrete, clay, grass each in single, double and triple size) a couple of the 7x3 lots, but what else - or is that enough.  Should I make more of the pre-lotted sets with courts plus other bits?  I would hate to clog up the park menu even more than it already is, so I guess the user can delete the ones they don't want.

As always, I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions, good, bad or indifferent!

Thanks,

Paul