• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's Atelier

Started by seraf, June 08, 2009, 04:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraf

Hello all, it's my first post here  :)
I would like to present something i'm currently working on: (sorry for the bright colors  :-[)

Bethesda Fountain from Central Park in New York City:

and New York Supreme Court:

RebaLynnTS

Very good start. Keep up the great work.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

SimNation

Do you play Team Fortress 2 Seraf? I was playing today and saw someone in the server I was on with your name. Also this bat looks like it might be interesting

buddybud

The more new york architecture in the game the happier i become, and anything neo-roman is always welcome. Your court hourse looks very much like an old train station we have here in our town. My only suggestion would to dirty up the textures a bit, but regardless it's fantastic.

Bud

beutelschlurf

moin Seraf,

that looks awesome, ...  :thumbsup:
good to see more guys doing "new york furniture" !  :P
if there are more guys around who wanna do stuff from the big apple then maybe we should group ...
keep us updated ...

b_schlurf

seraf

RebaLynnTS - Thanks :)
SimNation - No, I don't play TF2 so it must've been some coincidence :)
buddybud - Personally I like the "clean" look of buildings, but some dirt may be good for the sake of realism ;)
beutelschlurf - I love NY and its architecture, so maybe it's a good idea with a group.

At now the Bethesda Fountain is almost finished :)

seraf

I finished my work with bethesda fountain:

and start making another model :)

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

kimcar

&apls &apls Very well done. Can`t wait for see the next

seraf

RebaLynnTS , kimcar - thanks :)

I've started making a terrace :)

kimcar

:o Oh wow. That give another great looking at your fountain. Very well done. &apls &apls

SimFox

looking good!
and I believe game really needs more of such a large public spaces.

Do you plan to make the plaza as a model or as a texture? What do you plan in terms of shadow?

seraf

Thank you kimcar :)

SimFox - well.... you are in minority  ;D So far I've only heard that it's too big. :D Plaza is fully 3d (If you meant these white lines on brick surface) For shadows; if you mean another method of rendering I think I'll stick to default method :)

SimFox

well I think people pack buildings in cities like there is no tomorrow...
Looks neither unrealistic no good...

About shadows I meant the way game casts shadows on the objects. As you know the shadow is never cast onto buildings, but if falls on say plazas...

The key here is for game to know that object is indeed flat and very low. This is, in turn determined by the hight of the LODs. The key number here is 0,3 meters. if LODs are under this number your object will receive shadow for other game building as it would be flat land. If it is exactly 0,3 meters tall tit will display combing effect. It it greater no shadow will be cast onto it. More details about this issue could be found here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7646.0

I asked about this because such a large and ground level object as your plaza may look a bit odd without shadow on it. So you can make the whole thing made of two parts. One - plaza itself, with very low LODs, but not too low  - don't go under 0,2 meters in hight or you will have graphical glitches. And another with taller things, like fountain itself . You an then assemble whole thing in LOT editor. This way your plaza will receive shadows from both fountain itself and other buildings, trees etc

jacqulina

vester

Would like to see the fountain in-game.

At the moment the center piece looks to small compared to the square and the fountain,
but then again,...

...an in-game picture would help.

seraf

SimFox - The fountain will be made as a whole with the plaza, otherwise I'd have to make it as a prop and for some reasons I don't want to make the fountain a separate object.

jacqulina, Neofita - Thanks :)

vester - Dimensions are taken from the real object, so any complaints should be directed to the architect ;)

SimFox

you can make a plaza as a prop...

seraf

I finished the plaza around the fountain :)