• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to Build a Sunken Highway

Started by thundercrack83, February 07, 2009, 12:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

HOW TO BUILD A SUNKEN HIGHWAY
A Commonwealth of Marathon Tutorial

Before we start, a few tools you'll need to make things happen:

• Network AddOn Mod (NAM), by The NAM Team—This may be a given, but I've added this to be thorough. If, by some chance, you're out there and you're not play the game with the NAM, leave here immediately and go get it! It will change your life forever!
  • Hole Digging Lots, by smoncrie.

OK, let's begin! We start here:

Time to break out...

The Hole Digger for Sunken Highways, which will burrow a hole at a depth of 15 meters, which is essential for flat and smooth overpasses, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The results of the hole diggers, as well as a road run next to it to level the second tile needed for the highway.

Next, using the Quick Level Brush tool in God Mode...

...I've made a trench for the diagonal section. Here's a zoomed-out view:

And another with the highway in place—

Now we have to clean things up, and maximize the areas available for development by pushing the wall directly up to the diagonal highway section.

And from there we get...

...this! Highway is in place and the terraforming of the trench is complete.

But we're not quite finished. Next step...we'll move on to overpasses.

We begin with the potential intersection. Here's where the sheer brilliance (well, one instance of it, anyway. There are too many to count!) of the NAM shines through. In the Road Submenu, go to Avenue Puzzle Pieces, and tab through to "T" Avenue OnSlope Puzzle Piece. To get there quickly, just hit [Shift] + [Tab] four times, and you'll get there. Then we do...

...that! Back to the Avenue Puzzle Pieces menu, and this time, hit [Tab] sixteen times to get to Avenue over GroundHighway Puzzle Piece, and plop...

...accordingly. Now we have an overpass! By using the 15-meter hole digger, we get an overpass with no grade. If you'd like ramps leading to the overpass, I'd recommend using a 10-meter hole digger to achieve this. The 15-meter is my personal preference.

But we're not done, yet!

Exit ramps are now to be added, so go to the Highway Submenu and choose Single-Sided Parallel Ramps. Hit [Tab] once to come to GroundHighway Parallel Ramp - Road.

And plop! Then...plop it...

...again, this time, diagonal from the last plop. Now, go back to Single-Sided Parallel Ramps and hit [Tab] three times to get an identical GroundHighway Parallel Ramp - Road. Use this one...

...the same way as the first, filling in the remaining ramps! Also, you can add in some retaining walls, as I've done, using the Rural Sunken Highway Walls, by buddybud.

So that's the ballgame on making a sunken highway! I hope it helps, and if there's any questions, please feel free to ask!

aaaling

For the buddybud walls, is there an ave. overpass lot?

onlycoop

the Road overpass lots are made so they both sit on the same side of one side of the brigde. So with that you can place roade overpasses on both sides of the avenue bridge. road overpasses have both park straight and highway ramp. the last picture in the tutorial is the highway ramp road brigde lots. hope this helped i was thinking about trying to make up something like this i love this set of lots.   :thumbsup:

Onlycoop

aaaling

Quote from: onlycoop on April 26, 2009, 08:16:28 AM
the Road overpass lots are made so they both sit on the same side of one side of the brigde. So with that you can place roade overpasses on both sides of the avenue bridge. road overpasses have both park straight and highway ramp. the last picture in the tutorial is the highway ramp road brigde lots. hope this helped i was thinking about trying to make up something like this i love this set of lots.   :thumbsup:

Onlycoop

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! &apls &apls &apls