• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

3RR-ST - Page 43

Started by dedgren, November 27, 2008, 11:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

This is the SC4D archive of Page 43 of Three Rivers Region at Simtropolis.  Comments are locked for now.

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head colspan=2]
Page 43
[/head] [/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1260  11/09/2006 04:29 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Darmok
[/data][data]**hearing a golden oldie on the radio in the background**
"Jaggies in the morning
Jaggies in the evening
Jaggies at suppertime.......
Be my little jaggie and love me all the time...."

Could someone turn that thing off ???

Sorry David, must be all that guitar practice that goes to my head!

Well it seems that SC4 and jagged edges goes together hey? Jagged road, jagged rails and now jagged snow!
Your idea of planting trees to "mask" those edges is not a bad one, did you let the experiment run several years to see if the jagged edges were always appearing on the same spot?
And if the game water freeze, will we have a mod to see the sims go skating??

Nice experiment my friend!

**Now where's that radio.... ah here it is...**
- jazzy Franky sound fill the air -
"Jaggies in the niiiiiight exanging glances
Wondring
if they might getting corrected.....

Edited
Welcome everyone to page 43 of the ongoing northern saga of 3RR!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1261  11/09/2006 08:21 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Tommy_Vercetti3
[/data][data]Yay, snow. Thanks for testing out the cheat. I will now see what I can use it for.[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1262  11/09/2006 11:28 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]Your 3RR162 terraforming update fix...

As of bedtime this Thursday evening I am on row 9 of 16 with the initial terraforming.  The latest map,,,

...and some close in pics.

The partially terraformed Wyler Mountains.  Grand River is the large river running top to bottom.  Note how I am tightening up river widths consistent with the info I presented in this post [ linkie ].

Cold lake is the big lake on the left and Grand Lake is the lake on the right.  Notice the valley at the bottom center-left that will carry the ploppable water stream that drains Little Cold Lake.

Fox River.  It drains McClaren Flowage, an impoundment that supplies the region's water, on the left side of the pic.  The Fox is a 10 mile long canoer's dream, as it flows through a beautiful unspoiled valley.

You can see in these pics artifacts from quad mis-alignment in terms of elevation.  Will I leave those unaddressed?  If you would believe that, you need to go back and read the first 42 pages of this CJ then guess again.

Grand Lake.  It looks like a wide place in Grand River until you realize that the pool of the lake has about as much surface area as a full quad- about six square miles (9.5 square kilometers).  Water skiing, anyone?

Yet unnamed peaks in the Wylers.  The unterraformed part of the range is readily apparent here.

The upper end of the Fox River.  Wait until you see the quads themselves- this river really turned out looking good.  Now I just need a hydro dam at the outlet of the flowage.

This last pic shows the height of land between the Cold River on the left and the Grand, on the right.  You can see where an old bend of the Grand River has silted in around former islands to the left of the new channel in the upper right of the pic.

That's it for tonight.  I'm going to get up at five or so tomorrow morning and see if I can hammer out 20 or 30 more of these before breakfast.

G'night.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1263  11/09/2006 11:36 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Shadow_Assassin
[/data][data]Very nice, David. I like what's going on here.

Looking forward to seeing you tree the land, and adding cities to 3RR.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1264  11/10/2006 12:45 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

GMT
[/data][data]the region's coming to life. wonderfull.

waiting for more
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1265  11/10/2006 04:07 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

bat
[/data][data]Looks fantastic like always!

bat  $%#Ninj2
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1266  11/10/2006 04:20 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data]hi david that map is looking fantastic and so huge[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1267  11/10/2006 05:45 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Schulmanator
[/data][data]You have quite the ambitious undertaking. And, you are doing a great job with it. This CJ will be the largest in scope I have ever seen! I give you an A+! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1268  11/10/2006 07:04 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Kokopelli
[/data][data]This is looking great. I like that winding little Fox River. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1269  11/10/2006 11:38 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

threestooges
[/data][data]If possible, I hope that this will be available to dl on the stex (unless, of course, the 256 large  tiles make it too big). So much time & care are evident in this. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1270  11/10/2006 12:32 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]So here's the progress through noon today.

First, the region map from Region Census.

And here's one from the SC4Terraformer.

As you can see, I have a lot of artifact hunting to do even after I'm done with all 256 quads.

Only about 100 more to go, and lots of them are water.

Here, by the way, is a 2,400 pixel by 2.400 pixel current region shot, which will open in a new window [ linkie ].

Finally, yes Matt (threestooges)- I will put this on the STEX as soon as it is through 3RR quality control.

Later.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1271  11/10/2006 12:37 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data]david this is awesome and its been a lot of work for you but its been worth it [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1272  11/10/2006 12:43 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Menotyou
[/data][data]Wow, that region is amazing![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1273  11/10/2006 03:54 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

KingTitan
[/data][data]WOW WOW WOW THANK YOU "DEDGREN" way to go man. This has helped me out more and I think a lot of other Simmers.....Such detail and detication to trying to clear it up.

From the desk of Mayor "Apollo Vincent" thanks you.....

--------------"The Interstellar Paranassus of Paragon"-------------
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1274  11/10/2006 04:49 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

hondo42769
[/data][data]I've recently started using the terraformer to create a region and can say from experience that what you have here has been a massive undertaking. I'm amazed at how much you accomplish in such a short amount of time. This looks fantastic! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1275  11/10/2006 05:21 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

crazychickensc12
[/data][data]Hey dedgren, that terraforming is looking wonderful!! I love the detail of it all with the rivers looks wonderful!! Keep it up!![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1276  11/10/2006 07:34 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]Work, work, work...

UPDATE:  ...work, work, work...

UPDATE2:

WORK, WORK, WORK...

And here's the latest full-size pic, which will open in a new window [ linkie ].

UPDATE3:  (11-11-06 9:30 a.m. AST GMT-0)  Well, I try to adhere to the "no bumping your own thread rule, but I hate to think that folks who have already seen this post would miss me adding stuff to it.  I could make a new post that says go back and see this one again for more content.  But that would be bumping, right?

...ahhhh!  Darned if you do- darned if you don't...

I guess the moral of the story for all you folks out there is- if you stop back by and don't see a new post since you were last here- check out the end of the last one before you leave.  You might find something more.  Then again, you might not- but I'm usually up to something.

Anyway, a random pic from this morning's terraforming.  I think we'll hit 256 today.

The Des Plaines River- a small stream (100 feet/30 meters wide) flowing through the farmlands south and east of the Wyler Mountains.

UPDATE4:  (11-11-06 1:05 p.m. AST GMT-0)  Here's the latest region map.  About 25 more to go.

As always, here's the 2,400 x 2,400 [ linkie ].

n.b.:I'm trying the ST "popup" window option for the large-size map.  It doesn't have any chrome and I've made it non-resizable at 800x800.  If you like it- let me know.  If you don't like it- let me know.

Later.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1277  11/10/2006 09:26 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Menotyou
[/data][data]Wow, that is a huge task! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1278  11/11/2006 07:14 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Kokopelli
[/data][data]This is outstanding!!![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1279  11/11/2006 11:33 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

szarkoz
[/data][data]Hey David!

You asked me for a comment (well, suggested it) so here you go...

How do you find so much time for all the work you do? Maybe you are Hermiona Granger from HP? She used Time-Turner device to be able to go back in time and study few subjects at the same time. I'm sure you've got a similar device or you managed to add few hours to a day.

Anyway, your works with expanding the region are coming along really well. I must say I like the look of it, it's both pretty and realistic. I see that you try to make it very detailed, however there still are some too flat areas (in my opinion). I like how the terrain near water is a little deeper though, that's good. The mountain ranges look very nice, especially with the snow mod.

Keep up that great work David, I promise I'll comment from time to time!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1280  11/11/2006 11:49 AM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

toxicpiano
[/data][data]whoa! I don't know how you can stand all doing all that terraforming! I know I would just give up, Nice work! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1281  11/11/2006 06:58 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]So the numbers are getting pretty big...

Les'see- we started with 256 quads to terraform, right?

Must not be that many to go.

Later....

...not much- but later.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1282  11/11/2006 07:13 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Schulmanator
[/data][data]Holy cow! You sure do terraform fast! Great work at great speed... I am impressed! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1283  11/11/2006 09:05 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Gecko_2006
[/data][data]That would crash my computer asap. Maybe you could put a few oxbow lakes around the Fox River? A river with that many meanders is sure to have a few![imghttp://www.simtropolis.com/forum/i/expressions/2.gif[/img]http://[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1284  11/11/2006 10:14 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

DeKameelvanAli
[/data][data]I've read your city journal, and it's quite astonishing and helpful indeed. The road-building tutorials have particularily been very, very good. Actually there is just one thing in the entire city journal which looks unrealistic, which is the sharp divide between mountains and perfectly flat land, but that may be people's preference. The rest is wonderful. Did you know that when using javascript to link to pictures, people viewing these pictures can't increase their browser size? [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1285  11/11/2006 11:06 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Tarkus
[/data][data]David-

Been a little over a week since I've visited 3RR (I've been busy with RL and work on the Rural Highway mod), and you really have accomplished a lot during that time!  That truly is a huge region, and you must be one of the most patient human beings ever to have made it through all of that terraforming!  I once tried to make a region that size and after about 2 hours of trying to load the terrain image in, gave up.  (It was still only 25% done, if that.) 

Great work with the river scaling as well.  That was something I had always wondered about.  By the way, I've done a little more research about the population density and map scaling in SC4.  It turns out that slightlyslack, who made the Radius Doubler mod that's on your Mod List, also made a "Residential Population Halving Mod" [linkie] that cuts population density in half.  It's a little tricky to get it to work right with pre-existing cities, but even still, I've noticed an improvement. 

Again, this is a truly great CJ!  You really deserve a Trixie.

-Tarkus
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1286  11/12/2006 05:44 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

bat
[/data][data]All is looking fantastic! Wonderful work! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1287  11/12/2006 06:10 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

emilin
[/data][data]Dammit! You work faster than I read. Region looks amazing![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1288  11/12/2006 07:49 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

GMT
[/data][data]great!

Ok, I'm no fan of the game's snow because of the ugly snow-borders, but... hey, maybe we can fix this texture?
anyway, I love the pics.

waiting for more
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1289  11/12/2006 10:41 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]256!

These would have been up quite a while ago but ImageShack, at least for uploading, appeared to be on the fritz.

Here's a 2,400 by 2,400 pixel image [ linkie ] which will open in a new window.

So, it's on to fine-tuning.

I'll keep you posted.

Later.
[/data][/row]

[row][data][/data][data][/data][/row]
[/tabular]
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax