• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hyōgo (兵庫県) Region

Started by SuperMessi, November 06, 2015, 02:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMessi

Hi!

My name is SuperMessi, I am a soccer fan of FC Porto and FC Barcelona, and i live in Tras os Montes e Alto Douro region, Portugal.

I came here from Simtropolis, where I already have a City Journal called "Chingteng-Nakata Metropolitan Area". Unfortunatelly, I terraformed an existing user made region, and now I am not happy with the result. Consequently, I have decided to start a new City Journal, called Hyōgo (兵庫県), and using the famous "The Ring of Fire" map.

This project will consist in urban, suburban, rural and natural landscapes, oriented to a Japanese architectural style. While I do like this style, I may get away from it while trying some concepts. For example, I love to try out concepts related to olives and vineyards, but I really do not think that Japan has that many olives and vineyards, am I right? The same is right aswell regarding some residential highrises, more likely to be found in South Asia cities.

Hence, I am basically trying to merge some pre-existent styles (e.g. Art, LnX, Fasan, etc.) into a style that fits a Japanese urban environment, where transitions between urban-suburban and suburban-rural are smooth. In order to do this, I employ a bunch of MMP's. I just feel, as I have already stated on Simtropolis, that due to the emergence of Cities Skylines, the way to go for SimCity4 is to maximize the amount of MMP's and to create MMP's that are more geometrical real (e.g., mayor mode plopping houses that have a wide variety of angles or degrees). It is common sense that those MMP's are hard to create (if you want to do it and test your MMP's, just text me, also), but well, we hope that someday there will be a bunch more of those.

Sometimes I will let my cities grow to a certain point, sometimes I will plop the rubbish out of it. It also depends of my mood and inspiration.

Real life may get in the way, since i have my Master's Thesis to finish. But i guess i will always get back, as usual.

For now, i will post mostly close-ups, since i have not something to show that is really consistent on a higher zoom (just work in progress, though I may post it if i feel like it or requested).

In this post, there are some pictures from Fukuoka (福岡市), a suburban city tile contiguous to a river small city. I have already post the spring one's  in Simtropolis, but I have decided i should post them aswell in here:

The main commercial area of this city, with a small patium:

Just at its side, a park:

Near the main railway station:

Some residences and wild bamboo at the end of the canal:

A small walking area besides the canal:

Now, three photos from places near the industrial area, on autumn:

Agriculture:

Small natural park:

Small Bamboo agriculture:

-----------------

Feedback is welcome!! :)

compdude787

Looking nice so far! I'd love to see a regional image. Wait a sec, actually that region is probably too big to fit in Region Census, so forget it. :P
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Themistokles

Really nice! You've got great talent with MMPs :thumbsup:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

art128

Welcome to the MD world. :)

Some really nice stuff there, good work with the MMPs!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

Hello there!

Good start. Even though, I'm not much into Japaneese climate, I look with a pleasure on your detailed scenes  :thumbsup:

But remember to pay the same attention in details to your Master's Thesis!  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

romualdillo

Great work so far!!!! &apls
I really like the 5th picture, with the canal and the cherry-trees!!! I think yor city would get a lot of tourists from all Japan during Spring!!  :D

SuperMessi

Replies:

Compdude: Thanks! Ehehe I love region views (and this map can be shown through Region Census I think)! But at the moment I just have a tiny bit of a tile done xD

Themistokles: Thanks, and you too! I have learned already with you! :)

Art128: Thanks, you already know how I try to work :)

Kbienu: Yes, I have to pay atention and thanks for the heads up! :D

Romu: Thanks, but I think it can be a lot better. A lot really.

SuperMessi

Some pics with some activities near the Highway, in a place that is at the transition between an urban and suburban environment. Park in the back of the houses, a place were works store some gravel, etc. Could be much better, and I hope that in the future we have more things to add to this scenes. Feedback please! :D

--------------------------

Girafe

Amazing job with MMP. The transition between city and highway is really good.

I just noticed that the truck on the highway is so tiny vs. the ones on the side
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

The highway/city transition is well done indeed, however I would have used some sound walls to separate the road and the trees/playfield/paths area.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

SuperMessi

Quote from: Girafe on November 08, 2015, 03:26:23 AM
Amazing job with MMP. The transition between city and highway is really good.

I just noticed that the truck on the highway is so tiny vs. the ones on the side

Eheh I have totally missed it!!! I think the trucks on the side are Maxis trucks. On the other hand, the trucks on the highway are automata generated through a freight truck generator. I used the trucks on the side (well, the really are not trucks, they don't have the truck per se, so they are just wagons) to replicate a scene where a small construction company owns a small terrain where they store some stuff, like garvel, etc. But the scene as some problems: size of the wagons, limitation of material (I could  have used more murimks industrial props, but i did not want to demolish and start again. As I have said, there is a large room for improvement.

Ernestmaxis

SuperMessi

Quote from: art128 on November 08, 2015, 03:37:07 AM
The highway/city transition is well done indeed, however I would have used some sound walls to separate the road and the trees/playfield/paths area.

I had this precise question. And I understand the criticism and somehow agree with it. But my tought proccess behind my decision was the following: there are 4/5 tiles between the highway and the residential houses. You could have build a skyscraper between them. Since in real life you have a bunch of examples where, with even fewer distances, sound barriers are not present, I have decided not to use them. Besides that (and this is a reason as strong as the first one, in my view), sound barriers in this particular spot would have to be carefully choosen, and would have to blend in very natural. I honestly do not think that I could have blend them very good, due to a variety of reasons (the sound barriers being somehow irrealistic regarding size, textures, etc., the positioning of them, the light reflectors, etc.). Therefore, I did not include them.

But  as I have said, I understand your point, and there is plenty of room to use them latter on, specially in a more urban environment.

SuperMessi

Quote from: Ernestmaxis on November 08, 2015, 05:01:58 AM
Very well done! &apls

Thanks Ernest, but with your mmps, those pics would have an high qualitative jump. It is not even close! :D

Bipin

This is one of the best regions I've seen in a very long time. Amazing work!  :satisfied:

Gugu3

manga rivotra

I love the last 2 pictures. Very well done with perfect MMP placement  :thumbsup:

romualdillo

Great pictures again! My favourite is the last one with the park! Keep the good job!  :thumbsup:
I also think there's enough distance between the freeway and the houses. Perhaps the sound walls are unnecessary, but I still think it needs some kind of "limit". Being so realistic, I find too "easy" for children to reach the freeway.

SuperMessi

Replies:

Bipin: Thanks, that means a lot! I am hoping to use your classical industrial bats somewhere, when I do an industrial zone :D

Gugu: Thanks, let's "rock it" ;)

Manga: Thanks! I try to place them in the exact spot, but sometimes it is just impossible (the grundge path is very difficult to use :S)

Romu: Thanks! Regarding the soundwalls, you gave a good argument, and i had thought of it before. That is why i have add some fences... But, honestly, kids can jump fences... Well lets just assume that this is a mistake of the City planners, like in real life, where we see some strange planning and constructions xD

SuperMessi

Update:

Today I worked on some concepts and some new stuff. Although I did not really complete anything, I can post some close-ups. We have, in those photos, a gravel road that happens to be between an Olive field and a parking spot in a camping park. Next, we have some photos of the park itself...

After this, I will do, probably, a stream with a riverside beach, and some more agriculture and random florest things. I have a concept that I want to do, but it is very hard: rice fields with mmps; as you can see, sometimes rice fields assume very curvy shapes, and I want to replicate that. What I have in mind is plopping some water texture and, after that, plopping something that may ressemble rice. I don't know if it will look good. Can you suggest something? Also, can you suggest some new ideas that you would want me to try? Thanks, and feedback needed. I learned with the noise barriers question, so I want to learn more.

Finally, I tried to play a bit with the lot editor today, but I have some questions: can you tell me which are the most important textures and props? I want to know that in order for the plugin files to become lighter... Don't know if I am making a stupid question, though. So sorry if it is... Oh, and I will not play too much in the next few days, I will study probably :).

-------