• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Request: Larger roundabout

Started by xannepan, August 09, 2011, 06:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Oh look, another 4x4 Avenue Roundabout :P
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.857994,153.307809&z=19&t=k&nmd=20110721

I just saw a right turn lane going into nothing, it looks like that was supposed to be some sort of developed area, almost like Dalton Street was supposed to connect to Days Road, except that one giant building there. It also looks like Williamson Road ending at Days Road, is seriously lacking a traffic signal. What exactly happened here, M8?

jdenm8

EDIT: No idea, that's down near Beenleigh Upper Coomera, somewhere I've spent only probably... Six Zero minutes of my life where I'm not on the Motorway or driving straight through :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

Quote from: j-dub on August 20, 2011, 08:55:11 PM
Not to get OT, but now I finally have seen a real European TLA Road, faded, but still visible.
Picture or didn't happen :P  No, seriously, you may confuse the two-way 3-lane roads (which you can find nowadays very sporadicly due to its unsafe center lane) for TLA's.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Skins

Quote from: jdenm8 on August 20, 2011, 09:15:02 PM
I don't know about other parts of the world, but Australia has some complicated Roundabout laws according to what lane you enter the roundabout in.

Speaking from experience, this roundabout in Inner Melbourne was lawless..
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.801235,144.957406&z=19&t=k&nmd=20091012

..which is why they're currently upgrading everything to traffic lights with additional throughways to -snort- "improve" flow.
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.801193,144.957406&z=19&t=k&nmd=20110628

However, that being said, I'd like to see a three lane roundabout for the sake of variety.

"I!"

jdenm8

Ha ha, another Oval Roundabout ::)
We have two that I know of up here, both of which are lower capacity but still hard to figure out thanks to the weird shape.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wiimeiser

That was where the two highways to Sydney met in 1966. If they hope to fix that they'll have to do what they did to St Kilda Junction. On that note, St Kilda Junction should be redone as part of a southern expressway.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Will12

I live near that junction (Middle Park actually) and my dad drives the family through that intersection millions of times coming form Fitzroy St turning right onto the ALT 1 (Aussie Road Naming!) and with ST. Kilda rd, Fitzroy st, punt road, queens way, Wellington st and Dandenong rd all intersect with each other that is a pretty well thought out intersection!
Also remember that there is a tram t intersection as well!!!

io_bg

Speaking of roundabouts... here's one in my city: http://g.co/maps/zs5yj I measured it in Google Earth, it's diameter is 105 metres (=6.5 SC4 tiles). The main road (going from north to south) has a wider median next to the roundabout in order to allow higher speeds.
This one is squashed and allows even higher speeds: http://g.co/maps/8q6h3 It's diameter at the wide sides is again 105 metres while it's 75 metres (4.7 SC4 tiles) at the short ones.
A regular one with a major road overpassing it: http://g.co/maps/m7pgu 130 metres in diameter (~8 SC4 tiles). Would love to be able to overpass the current roundabouts using RHW!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Synthael

For me, roundabouts currently in the game are enough, but it never hurts to have one or 2 more types extra...

Example of a big roundabout in Zagreb, about 10 km from me...
Big one
3-lane roundabout raised from the ground, from 3 sides 6 lane avenues are connecting to it, from the south regular road is connected. Roundabout is raised because of the tram line going under it (north and east directions). Outer lanes on connecting avenues are right only (like slip lanes),  other 2 lanes going through. According to Google maps, diameter of it is 152 meters.
There are no traffic lights on it, but sometimes in rush hours (usually in the morning at 8-9h and at about 15-16h) due to the amount of traffic going through, police is regulating the flow to avoid accidents (which happen fairly often as people want to get through it asap).

Edit due to posting not working link....

mike3775

Quote from: strucka on August 20, 2011, 01:52:53 AM
I mean  can anyone show such a small roundabout on any avenue? I bet no one can, cause they just wouldn't be functional.

I can easily.  Valparaiso Indiana has now built 2 roundabouts on roads that are way to small for the traffic amount that occurs on the roads going through it.  Instead of fixing the traffic issues caused by 2 traffic lights so close, they actually made it worse because they decided to make the roundabouts 1 lane instead of two lanes through it, so people still tend to have to stop before entering the roundabout because there is no flow allowed to start with it due to its small size

j-dub

That may be so, but my state had a old double right turn lane roundabout for a 6 way in this one town, its not like that backup was ever solved, but a left on arrow only takes a real long amount of time for that big of an intersection as well.  These days, it just has a regular STOP sign, before you used to just shoot thru. The issue we already know with avenue roundabouts is your still turning in front of someone, despite going the same direction considering when your going in and out from the center lanes of the roundabout, imagine the broadsiding tendancy at a higher rate of speed. My town drew a plan for two dual avenue roundabouts on the same boulevard once, the elder citizens shot it down, and felt the teens would go the wrong way around. Can't say I blame them.

That said, not saying their decission in Valpraiso to build it that way without the dual lanes was right, but at the same time, I think the vote has to do with I don't feel a number of citizens are accustom to proper use of the whole multilane roundabout thing.